Not connected, Your IP: 54.210.224.114
Airpocket

How do I use AirVPN with TOR?

I have been searching through the FAQs and Forums for almost an hour trying to find an explanation of how to use AirVPN with TOR. I bought a 1 month account, and am accessing your website using the TOR browser bundle. Security is set at high, and noscripts is on. How so I access one of your servers and get out to the rest of the internet through it?

I cam across one vague one sentence instruction linked off one of the FAQs somewhere saying to run TOR, and then change some setting in AirVPN (or maybe TOR, it wasn't clear at all) but I could not find the setting in either.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sheivoko: Thanks for responding, but I'm totally new to this. What is "Eddie"?? I cannot find anything like the screenshots you posted. Better start from the beginning - suppose I am on the AirVPN homepage. There are 7 tabs across the top labelled Home, Enter. Status. Contact Us. Client, and View New Content. Below that there are five links in a white bar labelled overview, mission, terms of service, privacy, and about us. Which do I click on and then what do I do to find "Eddie?". Tried anything that looked like in might lead me somewhere useful, including stuff in the client area. I did find references to Eddie on the forums but nothing about where to find it, what it is, and how it is used with the rest of AirVPN. Nothing in the help files.

There are two ways to use AirVPN's service - by using AirVPN's client software - codename "Eddie" - or by downloading config files for direct use with openvpn or other network applications such as NetworkManager (Linux) or Tunnelblick (Mac).

In most cases, you're better off using Eddie, especially if you want to use AirVPN over Tor.

Go to AirVPN's Enter page. Once you've selected your operating system, you will be able to download AirVPN's client software "Eddie". It's available for Linux, Mac and Windows. Install and run the appropriate version for your system, then find the menu items I highlighted in my screenshot.

all of my content is released under CC-BY-SA 2.0

I'm also trying to connect to AirVPN over Tor, although when I try to use it with the built in option in Eddie, Tor throws this error in the console:

05/07/2015 xx:58:03.345 [WARN] Socks version 65 not recognized. (Tor is not an http proxy.) 
05/07/2015 xx:58:03.345 [WARN] Fetching socks handshake failed. Closing. 

Thanks Sheivoko, that worked for me, but I'm getting also the test connection to TOR version 0.2.6.9 shown in your picture. That's a very old version of TOR. Isn't AirVPN keeping themselves up to date? Does anyone know anything about this?

More detailed version of my last question:

I have TOR browser bundle, the latest version, open on my machine. When connecting through TOR using preferences in "Eddie", as Sheivoko explained above with diagrams, it tells me I am using TOR version 0.2.6.9. That's a very old version of TOR, and its also not the one I have running on my machine. Does Eddie have its own instance of TOR running within itself? If so, does anyone know if AirVPN has any plans to upgrade to the latest version of TOR? They ought to, since many older versions have known vulnerabilities. In the meantime, is there a way force Eddie to use the newer version I have running on my machine?

Hello!

No, Eddie does not include Tor. It includes features to use OpenVPN over Tor swiftly, but anything related to Tor installation is up to the system administrator.

Kind regards

Adding to what staff said -

0.2.6.9 is not an old version of Tor, in fact, it's the current stable version (correction, 0.2.6.10 has been released just a few moments ago). Tor Browser and Tor have separate version numbers: Tor Browser is currently at version 4.5.x, Tor itself at 0.2.6.x. The alpha versions of Tor (currently 0.2.7.x) are not meant for everyday use - they are made for testing purposes.

all of my content is released under CC-BY-SA 2.0

Добрый день, а подскажите как настроить vpn+tor в актуальной версии? 

Добрый день, а подскажите как настроить vpn+tor в актуальной версии? 

В этом форуме пишим по-английски чтобы все понимали. Прошу учесть это правило.

VPN+Tor depends on which way around you want to do it. Do you want to connect to VPN and then use Tor? Or connect to the VPN via Tor? Both methods, their advantages, disadvantages and how-tos are outlined on the Tor entry page.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.