Not connected, Your IP: 3.238.62.124
mcurrale

Aussie And NZ Server Request

Hi.

Wondering if AirVPN have plans to add some Aussie and NZ servers?

Would be fantastic if you guys did, as I'm based in Australia.

You guys have some serious issue with bandwidth costs

Last time I checked, the only provider with reasonable prices in AU was Exigent,

http://www.exigent.com.au/premium-dedicated-servers

Where you get only 1TB of b/w included with all servers, and in AU it's considered "alot".

An extra 10TB will cost additional $560, now think that Air will probably need 100TB...

I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon...

P.S.

Cloudflare posted a nice article about this some time ago:

https://blog.cloudflare.com/the-relative-cost-of-bandwidth-around-the-world/

Telstra, which controls approximately 50% of the market, and was traditionally the monopoly telecom provider, charges some of the highest transit pricing in the world — 20x the benchmark ($200/Mbps). Given that we are able to peer approximately half of our traffic, the effective bandwidth benchmark price is $100/Mbps.

To give you some sense of how out-of-whack Australia is, at CloudFlare we pay about as much every month for bandwidth to serve all of Europe as we do to for Australia. That’s in spite of the fact that approximately 33x the number of people live in Europe (750 million) versus Australia (22 million).

If Australians wonder why Internet and many other services are more expensive in their country than anywhere else in the world they need only look to Telstra. What's interesting is that Telstra maintains their high pricing even if only delivering traffic inside the country. Given that Australia is one large land mass with relatively concentrated population centers, it's difficult to justify the pricing based on anything other than Telstra's market power. In regions like North America where there is increasing consolidation of networks, Australia's experience with Telstra provides a cautionary tale.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

I wonder how Kim Dotcom got away with all that storage

I think you might be wrong.

http://www.nbr.co.nz/opinion/dotcom-i-would-have-hosted-mega-new-zealand

During an interview with NBR ONLINE at Dotcom Mansion on Friday, the accused pirate said the original launch plan called for the Cogent servers in Germany, plus a server rack in New Zealand.

But the cost of bandwidth on the Southern Cross Cable prohibited a local hosting deal.

Dotcom says a Southern Cross wholesaler wanted to charge him $28 per megabit of capacity a month, or 30 times what he was quoted for international connectivity in various overseas locations. He was also irked that various ISPs approached for quotes wanted to charge $2 per megabit of capacity a month for domestic traffic.

In Europe, peering (network interconnection) agreements meant there were no domestic bandwith charges, Dotcom said.

No one gets away from these costs, even large CDNs like CloudFlare, Akamai, etc.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

G'day mate,

I understand that it is not a good idea to use a VPN located in your own country.

I asked AirVPN (Swiss v USA) last year and they replied:

"As a general rule, we recommend to connect to a server that is located in a country different than yours. Between a US server and a Swiss server, after the notorious news about invasive surveillance, a Swiss server should be preferred, except of course when you need an USA IP address for those geo-restricted services that are not covered by our anti-geo-ip location system"

As Australia is a 5 Eyes puppet you can reasonably assume that surveillance is universal.

AirVPN is part of the solution.

A partial solution would be to terminate the Telstra parasite - with extreme prejudice.

Is there any way to access geo-restricted material on Australian sites?

Of course. That's why there is an AU Georouting Server. Please post the site you want to be unblocked on "Blocked Website Warning"

Of course. That's why there is an AU Georouting Server. Please post the site you want to be unblocked on "Blocked Website Warning"

what does georouting server mean? there is actually no AU airvpn server but a way to simulate AU IP's to access AU-only content?

what does georouting server mean? there is actually no AU airvpn server but a way to simulate AU IP's to access AU-only content?

Exactly. ABC's iView is working for that reason.

I believe it's because AU has recently developed some retention laws :/ http://www.zdnet.com/article/mandatory-data-retention-legislation-hits-the-australian-parliament/

How does that work, then? I can't access iView or the Special Broadcasting Service via Heze, and I'm sure I've tried with other servers and failed also - just can't remember which ones I tried. I can only access these channels if I'm in Oz and NOT using the VPN.

How does that work, then? I can't access iView or the Special Broadcasting Service via Heze, and I'm sure I've tried with other servers and failed also - just can't remember which ones I tried. I can only access these channels if I'm in Oz and NOT using the VPN.

You could go here: https://airvpn.org/forum/28-blocked-websites-warning/

And post the sites that should work and hopefully they fix it

Hi there.

Like all folks here, I think that Airvpn is excellent. I recommend it.

I saw there was an Australian routing server. I think, from the conversation above, I understand how it works - we nominate sites to be unblocked - and the Airvpn system unblocks them. But, owing to the obscene cost and poor quality of internet in Australia, there are no actual Airvpn servers in that country. Is that correct?

Thanks for your time.

T

For anyone interested the forum http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/ is a most popular site for discussion of the miserable state of affairs in the ex convict colony down under. Much p2p etc "piracy" due delayed release and double charging for music, film and tv content, or no release. Or only accessible by a bundled cable subscription contract to Foxtel controlled by Rupert Murdoch's News Corp and Telstra. Who seem to have the main political parties in their pockets and intimidated.

And data retention laws on internet activity of the captives, obliging ISPs to retain data on emails, websites visited, other services such as chat. Which were written broadly enough about "internet service provision" to potentially include VPN servers located in Australia under punitive national security and other criminal laws. And big jail terms if disclosing activities by the AFP and other secret police such as bulk feed of data communications.

Some VPN providers do have servers in Australia, but can they be trusted ? A local VPN likely protects against antipiracy trolls, but perhaps not if you are an anti coal mining activist.

So various issues in addition to high cost of hosted services and bandwidth in this backwater market.

I use the AirVPN servers in Singapore or Hong Kong which have about 200ms latency, but access back to Australian content can be a problem, eg SBS. The AirVPN Eddie client offers "outside the tunnel" bypass, but it is by IP address rather than DNS domain, and the actual media server may have a varying different IP address to the web page server, which may actually be via say an akamai or amazon IP address.

So frustration.

Hi there.

Like all folks here, I think that Airvpn is excellent. I recommend it.

I saw there was an Australian routing server. I think, from the conversation above, I understand how it works - we nominate sites to be unblocked - and the Airvpn system unblocks them. But, owing to the obscene cost and poor quality of internet in Australia, there are no actual Airvpn servers in that country. Is that correct?

Thanks for your time.

T

You open a ticket and politely ask Staff if they could do something about it. A thread in the Blocked websites warning subforum is not the right way.

The cost thing is correct.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

I know this is an OLD OLD thread but I didn't want to start a new one.

I wondered if the issue with pricing etc re Telstra is still true?

The reason I ask is, with the influx of VPN services in Australia (which clearly don't have cost prohibitive issues) I am wondering if things have changed?

Hi donioj. This topic got another thread at https://airvpn.org/topic/21044-what-countries-do-you-want-to-see-added-in-2017/

I threw in a few comments, but you may want to correct or extend, I am interested but  not an expert.

The Whirlpool Peer to peer forum seems to get many negative comments about various vpn providers, including the most popular that "pay to play" in reviews.

One problem is poor throughput, which possibly varies with ISP peering and regional routing etc.

But hard to really pin down causes, with peak time congestion without VPN in ISPs, NBN "backhaul" costs (Telstra Wholesale apparently just discard packets and force recovery window to impose paid capacity limit of ISP, rather than flow control !), unit block wifi collisions and noise, etc.

It must be a problem for a supplier to have a flat global rate when they have to pay twice as much in costs for half the service level and four times the odd issues. Singapore works well.