Not connected, Your IP: 52.91.0.68
Hmm

Considering AirVPN: How are the speeds and reliability

I am located in Canada.  I am currently on a month trial with ExpressVPN. However, I will be ditching ExpressVPN because their speeds are rather poor. I have a solid 35 Mbps connection. At best, I can only get 18-19 Mbps despite the server and protocol.

I read on some p2p forms that I might want to try AirVPN.  Since I am new to VPNs, I am not sure what I should expect as for speeds. I know other said that I should've been able to achieve faster speeds via secure VPN than what I have been getting with Express VPN.

I am curious to see how fast AirVPNs speeds in Mbps (megabits per second) with their particular internet connection and if I should choose another VPN provider. My main use is for torrents but not solely.

Thanks in advance folks.

where I'm at 35mbit/s is no problem.  but, I'd be lying if I said everybody had no problems.

that said, I think a high percentage of problems are out of Air's hands.  our devices and all the internet between us and them are the problem makers.

Request a three days trial using Contact and test for yourself. There won't be restrictions of any sort.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

If you're using windows i recommend the 2.8 client because the new taps adapter in 2.9 halfed my speeds.Some aren't getting speed drops but i thought i'd let you know so if you did have slow speeds you may find the cause there. The staff here always help if you need it so most problems get fixed.Good luck

where I'm at 35mbit/s is no problem.  but, I'd be lying if I said everybody had no problems.

that said, I think a high percentage of problems are out of Air's hands.  our devices and all the internet between us and them are the problem makers.

Yeah, I get that. However, all things remaining equal, there are different servers with different maxiumum speed capabilities. From my experience with Express VPN, they have "working" servers that are worse speed wise than having a dial-up connection and should be moved offline. 

If you're using windows i recommend the 2.8 client because the new taps adapter in 2.9 halfed my speeds.Some aren't getting speed drops but i thought i'd let you know so if you did have slow speeds you may find the cause there. The staff here always help if you need it so most problems get fixed.Good luck

Can you elaborate a bit more? I am using Windows but how does one download an older version of the adapter (2.8) if 2.9 is the latest?.

Using Express VPN, their staff was willing to help, sort of, but their answers were often incomplete or unrelated to the issue at hand leaving me very frustrated and having to reply back many, many times, until I finally got a supervisor who addressed my issues and basically voided what the low level entry level customer service staff wrote to me. That compares to other VPN providers like VPN where customer service is simply atrocious, but technically provided. 

You could take a look here: https://airvpn.org/status/

There's a fair bit of info on session stats.

Those stats are rather overwhelming and I don't understand them. I have no idea what they mean by 274/1000 Mbit/s and 64

Request a three days trial using Contact and test for yourself. There won't be restrictions of any sort.

I was thinking of that, but now I am afraid. When I disconnected my Express VPN service, I lost complete access to my internet on my desktop. My ISP was of no help and I had to use my tablet to fix the issue (I had many virtual network adapters that were hidden). 

Hmm. I had some more questions (in response) to the above posts but the mods here felt it was not in their best interest not to approve my posts.

That's reason enough to write a complaint email AirVPN customer service and eliminate Air VPN as a viable option as a VPN provider.  If you can't trust a VPN provider to allow simple posts then how can you trust them with your security or anonymity. I guess it's not surprising since most reviews of VPN do not have AirVPN as the top three VPN providers.

Hmm. I had some more questions (in response) to the above posts but the mods here felt it was not in their best interest not to approve my posts.

That's reason enough to write a complaint email AirVPN customer service and eliminate Air VPN as a viable option as a VPN provider.  If you can't trust a VPN provider to allow simple posts then how can you trust them with your security or anonymity. I guess it's not surprising since most reviews of VPN do not have AirVPN as the top three VPN providers.

Hello!

Your posts approval have had a delay of a few hours due to personnel problems on Sunday. Thousands of customers know from our five years activity that customer support and forum maintenance takes place 24/7 including Sunday, Christmas, New Year's Day etc. Problems during this Sunday are exceptional and as far as we can remember it's only the second time in five years that this inconvenience takes place.

Every new writer on the forum needs his/her posts approved until they have five approved posts. We allow forum access to everyone, even non customers, and this is mandatory to keep the forum readable: every day several posts talk about totally unrelated arguments with explicit ads and links to malware spreading web sites.

We are normally on the top of any serious and independent VPN review. We are not cited in many reviews because we don't pay for reviews: we respect customers, potential customers and persons in general. Almost every week we have proposals for a review which should be paid, and the reviewer suggests that the payment will be hidden. You will never find a paid review about AirVPN and for this reason you will often not find AirVPN reviews at all on some web sites.

Kind regards

You could take a look here: https://airvpn.org/status/

There's a fair bit of info on session stats.

Those stats are rather overwhelming and I don't understand them. I have no idea what they mean by 274/1000 Mbit/s and 64

The meaning of those numbers:

274 Mbit/s used on the server you were looking at - Out of 1000Mbit/s Total.

And there was 64 users connected to it.

I guess it's not surprising since most reviews of VPN do not have AirVPN as the top three VPN providers.

Not sure if trolling or ignorance, but this is an insult for me.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

That depends what reviews you are talking about.

The most comprehensive one is probably the one on TorrentFreak,

"WHICH VPN SERVICES TAKE YOUR ANONYMITY SERIOUSLY? 2015 EDITION"

https://torrentfreak.com/anonymous-vpn-service-provider-review-2015-150228/

and AirVPN is there, on page 2.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

I guess it's not surprising since most reviews of VPN do not have AirVPN as the top three VPN providers.

I'm with giganerd

I rather members spread the gospel of air vpn than some moron giving a review of the service and people blindly following it.

@Hmm

---

"Can you elaborate a bit more? I am using Windows but how does one download an older version of the adapter (2.8) if 2.9 is the latest?."

On the download page you will see a link for "other versions" click that and select 2.8

Also with regard to your evaluation of VPN providers... If you're actually serious, take AirVPN up on the 3 day trial, test it out, if after that you want to eliminate it so be it, but judging a service entirely via a delay in your post in a appearing in a public forum (which it noted btw) on the weekend, vs and actual CS-ticket seems odd to me to say the least.

...  If you can't trust a VPN provider to allow simple posts then how can you trust them with your security or anonymity.

Trust? It tells\warns you about possible delay when you're posting on a fresh account, apparently you didn't notice that, that's on you.  You would rather the provider allow fresh accounts to be able to spam comments by default? How exactly would that indicate trust in terms of security, if anything current policy ought to indicate the opposite.

I'm with giganerd

I rather members spread the gospel of air vpn than some moron giving a review of the service and people blindly following it.

Ditto.

I like that that Air's growth has been steady, manageable, and far as I can tell almost entirely organic, with no interest or need to waste resources on paying others to talk them up.  As for "top 3"... well in the circles where I most commonly see people asking for recommendations for solid VPN service Air's name almost always comes up in the top couple to check out.

out of curiosity i tried the older version.

gotta admit its faster

AirVPN give me 150Mbps (well actually a little over 150 depending on what I'm doing) without issues. While different servers will perhaps naturally behave differently (due to ISP peering, routing etc) it's safe to say Air are one of the few genuine, well run VPN companies out there. They also don't log or track users. I tried many including PIA, vpn.ac (decent but highly variable speeds), Cactus, Tiger, PrivatVPN, and so on and Air beat them all for me.  

Staff are usually very fast indeed at replying to tickets (the forum is naturally lower priority compared to actual support tickets). I have had a detailed, personal and technical reply within a few minutes on the few occasions I've needed to ask/check something. There are no 'customer support' script reading monkeys, just real techs. They regularly develop and update their open source client, and they don't oversell bandwidth. What's not to love?!

gotta admit its faster

Did you add the custom send/receive buffer values? Only asking because (1) it might help you and (2) I'd be grateful to know for myself. I hate Windows (no fanboi either way though) as it's so clunky and slow. OpenVPN runs like lightning on Linux, Mac and BSD compared to Windows. I was actually shocked at how long it took to establish connections under Windows 10 compared to Linux.

gotta admit its faster

Did you add the custom send/receive buffer values? Only asking because (1) it might help you and (2) I'd be grateful to know for myself. I hate Windows (no fanboi either way though) as it's so clunky and slow. OpenVPN runs like lightning on Linux, Mac and BSD compared to Windows. I was actually shocked at how long it took to establish connections under Windows 10 compared to Linux.

no, but please elaborate

no, but please elaborate

gotta admit its faster

Linux and BSD work just great with OpenVPN, blazing fast up to even gigabit speeds (with the right setup). Windows is not so great and by default the send and receive buffers on the connection are very low. On faster internet connections this can actually cap/bottleneck you, resulting in slow speeds. I couldn't get much over 2.5MB to 3MB/sec (about 30Mbps) by default on Windows before changing the values. 

Simply open Eddie, click the AirVPN button at the top left and choose Preferences. Go to Advanced tab and then OVPN Directives. In the LEFT column / box, which will be empty, add the following two short lines:

sndbuf 65536

rcvbuf 65536

Now click OK/save/whatever and disconnect from AirVPN (if connected). Close Eddie and restart it, and connect to your preferred server. You should now see much better speeds!

i thought 64k buffersize is standard on openvpn? i thought 512k would be better? not sure about the settings for 32mbps/2mbps though

i thought 64k buffersize is standard on openvpn? i thought 512k would be better? not sure about the settings for 32mbps/2mbps though

I honestly couldn't say. My connection is 152 Mbps and I usually use Linux and OS X and get full speed without issues. After recently installing Windows 10 for testing, I installed Eddie but found my connection was capped around 30 megs. After finding the above 'fix' mentioned a few times on this forum, I tried it and voila - back to full speeds. 

In theory it's supposed to be but on openvpn windows it's not so yeah 65k should help a bit; if that goes well for you try 256k and then 512k. I saw bumps at both levels, though the difference between say nothing and 65 or 128k will be more significant than diff between 256\512 from what I've seen.  65k is just the baseline to start with that should improve performance no matter what connection you're on, from there up is more dependent on your connection and what you're doing.

How long usually a trial request will be granted? I submitted the request yesterday and now got only an automatic reply.

Request a three days trial using Contact and test for yourself. There won't be restrictions of any sort. :)

How long usually a trial request will be granted? I submitted the request yesterday and now got only an automatic reply.

Hello,

it takes 0-72 hours and you will get in most cases only replies from a bot. If you need to ask questions to the support team you must not select "Trial request", but you must send your ticket either to "Support" or to "Sales" department.

Kind regards

Hi, total newbie to vpn's and decided to give Air a try because of positive reviews and really glad I did.

Im in the UK and initially had speed issues and constant torrent dropping etc but figured it out after spending some time in the forums - I had Eddie using the Automatic setting in protocols - as soon as I changed it to SSL tunnel everything started bombing along.....

and the speed / torrent issues were fixed....

Ive been using Air for about 3 weeks now and cant fault the service, speeds or anything else, anything I didnt understand or needed answers for were provided by the comprehensive forums.

I am a very happy user