Not connected, Your IP: 18.234.88.196

I'm not technical enough to follow the foregoing, I just ask for help with a related issue. I'm using Opera, and although I've got Privacy Badger, etc, I try not to stifle Google too much for the sake of smooth-running. However, I noticed that DNS revealed my location (I got a targeted ad for where I live). If I block maps, doesn't that just mean my location doesn't show up on my screen but is available to Google, etc in any case? I've got a Web RTC extension and No Script Lite. I can't see the point - if my location shows up, surely my network traffic can be easily intercepted too? (I realize there's no guarantee of this not happening in any case if someone persistently wants it). What's the point of just stopping a map from being displayed on my screen? It looks like my ISP could analyze my traffic. My point is, I'm not sure if extensions and VPNs have much point if someone can locate me so easily, so I'm just wondering if the re-routing is merely cosmetic. Am I supposed to re-configure to Tor or something similar? It's reported to be very slow. When I used Firefox I put in all the fixes, but I'm not sure if even then more than a misleading difference occurs. Stuff like NoScript just means you can't fluently use the internet at all. I've found Adguard works pretty well, but it doesn't encrypt my connection. Apart from anything else, Opera just looks and works better.

Be grateful for any advice.

Hello,

I think I worked this out - so dumb not to realize it before - I was logged in to my Google Account using Google Search and combined with Analytics and them knowing where I live in any case, it's no surprise.

The only point I'm unclear of is whether anyone's location can be found using something like GPS. Win 10 has a 'Find My Device' facility for example, and there's preyproject or lojack. I don't know enough about tech to understand how they do it, while it's obvious with a phone..

Hello,

I think I worked this out - so dumb not to realize it before - I was logged in to my Google Account using Google Search and combined with Analytics and them knowing where I live in any case, it's no surprise.

The only point I'm unclear of is whether anyone's location can be found using something like GPS. Win 10 has a 'Find My Device' facility for example, and there's preyproject or lojack. I don't know enough about tech to understand how they do it, while it's obvious with a phone..

Yeah...I disable all location services for that reason.  got to ipleak.net and ask it to find your geolocation.  If it works, you are findable like that.  You can track down all of the settings in the brower and in windows to lock that down.  DNS and WebRTC are only a couple pieces of the puzzle regarding where you really are.  Geolocation is another, and it can be a big one.

When I do it, I get:

Geolocation detection
no.png User denied the request for Geolocation.

Hi Khariz, thanks for taking the trouble to reply, I really appreciate it.

Yes, when I used Firefox with media,peer.connection disabled in about:config, and with Ghostery, Self-Destructing Cookies, NoScript, Privacy Badger, Https Everywhere, Adguard and a Web RTC controller on top of it all I couldn't locate a problem when I checked with Spyber, ipleak and dnsleaktest, etc. The thing I didn't look at was, as you helpfully point out, geolocation. I better re-write the script (pun) and try a more secure method. I suppose I could use duckduckgo or disconnect.me as search engines, and disable maps using Privacy Badger, but I still got to look at geolocation because it makes everything else futile. If you got any tips on doing it properly I sure would appreciate you taking the time to advise me. The only problem I state for myself is all these extensions slow down Firefox start-up, and break so many pages I end up having to allow scripts, including the omniscient Google Analytics to run despite all the security.

Thanks again and all the best,

Robotnik

Hi Khariz, thanks for taking the trouble to reply, I really appreciate it.

Yes, when I used Firefox with media,peer.connection disabled in about:config, and with Ghostery, Self-Destructing Cookies, NoScript, Privacy Badger, Https Everywhere, Adguard and a Web RTC controller on top of it all I couldn't locate a problem when I checked with Spyber, ipleak and dnsleaktest, etc. The thing I didn't look at was, as you helpfully point out, geolocation. I better re-write the script (pun) and try a more secure method. I suppose I could use duckduckgo or disconnect.me as search engines, and disable maps using Privacy Badger, but I still got to look at geolocation because it makes everything else futile. If you got any tips on doing it properly I sure would appreciate you taking the time to advise me. The only problem I state for myself is all these extensions slow down Firefox start-up, and break so many pages I end up having to allow scripts, including the omniscient Google Analytics to run despite all the security.

Thanks again and all the best,

Robotnik

Hello!

I'd uninstall Adguard and the WebRTC blocker and instead install uBlock Origin. It can fill those two roles, such that you can spare one plugin perhaps. I'd also uninstall Ghostery, as they've been put in connection with some questionable practices. Lastly, you could then make a new profile for yourself. You could also consider running a clean browser in a VM.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Tired of Windows? Why Linux Is Better.

Hi LZ1, great profile photo by the way - you don't look anything like a bandito.

Thanks for taking time to reply. Sounds like good advice, so I'll give it a go. I've got Adguard desktop client, but I can disable it anytime I choose. I'll try uBlock Origin as you suggest. A 'clean browser in a VM' I'd have to figure out how to do it, but I'm sure plenty resources on-line to get help. As for the account, I''ll download latest Firefox (50?) and set it up for privacy.

I've been a bit concerned about Ghostery for quite a while now, since the owners started asking users to give anonymous feedback and create an account too.

Thanks again, you've been very helpful.

Robotnik

Haha, why thank you. It's meant to inspire.

In the uBlock settings, you can enable a WebRTC block. Otherwise enabling Network Lock will also sort out any WebRTC leaks really. Then you simply add lots of the various ad and malware lists, by checking the boxes in uBlock and clicking apply.

For the VM, you download virtualbox software. Then you download a torrent client like qBittorent. Then you go to a site like Linux tracker after setting uo qBittorent (guides in my new user guide) and download a Linux distribution. Such as Ubuntu or Linux Mint, for starters. After the download, you find a guide about how to set up that .iso Linux in the virtualbox software . Then you'll be well on your way. It sounds/looks harder than it is when described, but fear not.

Sure, the latest Firefox is desirable. You can simply open the firefox profile manager by searching it in your OS. Then create a new profile with the click of a button. Then you go to that site and make a new FF profile, download it and use it to replace the aforementioned profiles folder. The ffprofile site also describes this process.

Thank you for being so polite

Sent to you from me with datalove

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Thanks LZ1. The VM thing's turned out to be a piece of cake really. You sure know your stuff. Like you say, it's probably easier to implement than understand from the instructions.

Robotnik (my name's Alan, or Al, in fact, so like in the Paul Simon song, 'you can call me Al')

Don't see how we could keep going without helpful people like yourself.

Haha, no worries. I'm just 1 of many. I'll have to check out that song. Now that you have the VM up, you take a "snapshot" of whichever state you'd like to revert back to upon exit or when something goes wrong. Then you can use either the guest (the OS you installed in the VM) or the host OS to do certain kinds of browsing. If, in the VM network settings you enable Bridged Mode, it'll be as if you have 2 separate networks as well.

Good to meet you Al, just say so if there's anything else we can help you with .

Sent to you from me with datalove