Not connected, Your IP: 3.81.30.41
Staff

Ubuntu 15.04 potential issue

Ubuntu 15.04 possible issue

We have a some tickets that notify us about an issue with Ubuntu 15.04.

Symptoms:

- Eddie with a loop on connection, caused by failed DNS checking
- /etc/resolv.conf doesn't contain our DNS (10.4.0.1 or similar) after the VPN connection.

It seems that resolvconf package doesn't push correctly the DNS.

Workaround with Eddie - AirVPN client

Use Preferences -> Advanced -> General or DNS tab -> DNS Switch Mode -> set Renaming method.

------------------------

Currently we can't reproduce the issue with our test environment.
Our fresh installation of Ubuntu 15.04 works as expected.
However, various users have this issue.

Please help us: if you use Ubuntu 15.04, reply in this topic to the following questions:
- Do you connect without problems (with Eddie and/or with OpenVPN / Network Manager / etc)? We need to understand how many Ubuntu 15.04 users have this issue.
- If you have the issue, did you perform a fresh Ubuntu installation or did you upgrade from older version?

Kind regards

Hi,

I see this issue on a live USB of 15.04 (unity DE) with English UK language. After booting the live USB I perform sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade, which currently gives an update for firefox and ubuntu-base. Then after installing Eddie 2.9 experimental x64 from the DEB file there is a connection loop because of testing DNS. I can connect to VPNs using network-manager-applet OK though.

I hope this is useful.

I did a fresh install of Ubuntu 15.04 on my laptop. This problem persists with Eddie 2.9 experimental. I can connect fine using the network manager.

I did a fresh install of Ubuntu 15.04 on my laptop. This problem persists with Eddie 2.9 experimental. I can connect fine using the network manager.

Can you confirm that the recommended solution works?

Kind regards

Can you confirm that the recommended solution works?

Kind regards

Yes the recommended workaround does the trick.  Thanks!

Dear all, my first post. My first day of using AirVPN. Be gentle.

So, I've got this same error, figured I'd try the renaming method, and all worked fine. Only saw this post just now and can confirm the workaround works.

The reason I reply here, is that I use Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, using the latest stable Eddie. So it's not just a 15.04 issue, apparently. Thought that worthwhile to say.

Win7 | Manjaro Gnome | Eddie stable

Dear all, my first post. My first day of using AirVPN. Be gentle.

So, I've got this same error, figured I'd try the renaming method, and all worked fine. Only saw this post just now and can confirm the workaround works.

The reason I reply here, is that I use Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, using the latest stable Eddie. So it's not just a 15.04 issue, apparently. Thought that worthwhile to say.

Hello!

It is a problem of all systems with resolvconf installed but not configured in Dynamic Mode. However, at least one of our customers did manage to reproduce the issue with Ubuntu 15.04 even with resolvconf configured in Dynamic Mode. This is just one case but maybe we're still missing something about it. The problem remains unclear because in our brand new Ubuntu 15.04 testing machines, the problem has never been reproduced. So it could be something related to systems which have been brought to version 15 via a dist-upgrade, instead of a plain, new installation (like our testing systems).

Anyway, "renaming" method solves the problem at its roots.

Kind regards

I'm havin the same issues on an updated Ubuntu  14.04 LTS. Except for me, changing the renaming method doesn't work. I've tried all different types changes to the preferences.

I get stuck on Checking DNS or Checking route (If I have the option checked) everytime, no matter what server I am on. I fired up my Windows VM, and it connects no problem.

Eddie doesn't work for me at all now on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS . I haven't been able to connect through the commandline either.

I'm havin the same issues on an updated Ubuntu  14.04 LTS. Except for me, changing the renaming method doesn't work. I've tried all different types changes to the preferences.

Hello,

out of thousands working systems, there are always very particular cases. Eddie in Ubuntu 14.04 works well with every DNS Switch method and in more than one year has never been reported as having problems. Ubuntu 14.04, after Debian wheezy, was our main testing Linux box between 2014 and 2015 and we never detected any problem. We suspect that the problem you report is completely unrelated to this thread.

Kind regards

I have exactly the same issue with a fresh install of Ubuntu Desktop 15.04 and no issue while trying through Network Manager VPN Connections.

AirVPN workaround in first post does the trick for Eddie.

Eddie in Ubuntu 14.04 works well with every DNS Switch method and in more than one year has never been reported as having problems.

Apparently not. I informed you about this issue months before this topic.

@users

Anyway, If you can't use GUI ,use command line interface +iptables/ other options

Using Eddie client

Eddie dos not really work well in Ubuntu 15.04 even after input it as rename. Beside that, i usually get disconnect countless times upon using Airvpn dns. After adding OpenNic dns to the dns list and it work well which occasionally still getting disconnected. 

Using Ubuntu network manager

It work fine but it still occasionally disconnected (less frequent compare using Eddie).

Using terminal

It work the best but the connection will come to halt that you require to reset it manually.

Summary

The vpn servers usually will have a huge spike connection and i think a load balancer will help to resolve it upon using a few vpn service providers.

Hello,

out of thousands working systems, there are always very particular cases. Eddie in Ubuntu 14.04 works well with every DNS Switch method and in more than one year has never been reported as having problems. Ubuntu 14.04, after Debian wheezy, was our main testing Linux box between 2014 and 2015 and we never detected any problem. We suspect that the problem you report is completely unrelated to this thread.

Kind regards

I have a fresh install of 15.04.  Sorry for all my wining staffers.  Found this thread, tryed the RENAMING  and i can connect just fine.

I'm not sure if this is helpful at all, but I am using Ubuntu Mate 15.4 and I use the AirVPN client - not OpenVPN. It works great. I don't think this is super helpful to your bug, but I figured I'd post just in case.

I didn't upgrade, I installed to 15.4 fresh.

I am unable to install eddie client with Linux Mint 18 64bit 
error:   dependency not satisfiable: libmono-system-runtime2.0-cil

So i try and get that missing part here is the terminal output 

sudo apt install libmono-system-runtime2.0-cil
[sudo] password for : 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Package libmono-system-runtime2.0-cil is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
However the following packages replace it:
  mono-reference-assemblies-2.0 mono-devel

E: Package 'libmono-system-runtime2.0-cil' has no installation candidate

so i installed mono-reference-assemblies-2.0 mono-devel

No Change still will not install eddie client same error 

when I try to do the openvpn way i get errors too and it wont connect. DNS error 

I am unable to install eddie client with Linux Mint 18 64bit 

error:   dependency not satisfiable: libmono-system-runtime2.0-cil

So i try and get that missing part here is the terminal output 

sudo apt install libmono-system-runtime2.0-cil
[sudo] password for : 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Package libmono-system-runtime2.0-cil is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
However the following packages replace it:
  mono-reference-assemblies-2.0 mono-devel

E: Package 'libmono-system-runtime2.0-cil' has no installation candidate

so i installed mono-reference-assemblies-2.0 mono-devel

No Change still will not install eddie client same error 

when I try to do the openvpn way i get errors too and it wont connect. DNS error 

Hello !

I don't know if it'll help, but maybe this is relevant for you.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.