Not connected, Your IP: 44.200.249.42
victorab

ANSWERED Double Hop for all connections

Hi,

May adding a "double hop" system to prevent tracking can be a good idea.

Example:

Without the double hop, you connect to 12.3.456.678 and your exit IP is : 12.3.456.679 so your ISP know that you are connected on this server and with investigation from the other side, can have an approximation of your exit IP.

If you post a wrong message about the Chineese government and the government have your exit IP, he can search who (in the country) was connected to the server.

With the Double Hop: You use an encrypted connection to the server A (12.3.456.678) and then the server A make a connection to a server B (85.5.457.632) and this will be your exit IP.

So the ISP only know that you are connected to 12.3.456.678 but can't determine your exit IP because you're exit IP is from another country.

Hello!

Yes. You can "multi-hop" whenever you wish with AirVPN. Each account can establish up to FIVE simultaneous connections so you can multi-hop easily with a VM (connect the host to a VPN server, attach the VM to the host via NAT, connect the VM to a different VPN server).

However "multi-hopping" on servers all owned by the same entity is a sub-optimal solution. A formidably stronger anonymity layer can be built just by multi-hopping with Tor, at least for TCP applications. Just connect to a VPN server then use Tor.

Kind regards

So the ISP only know that you are connected to 12.3.456.678 but can't determine your exit IP because you're exit IP is from another country.

Your ISP knows you are connected to one IP but you are visible through another. Compare the entry IP in OpenVPN's log file with the exit IP displayed by ipleak.net for example. It will never be the same.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Your ISP knows you are connected to one IP but you are visible through another. Compare the entry IP in OpenVPN's log file with the exit IP displayed by ipleak.net for example. It will never be the same.

Yes but like I said, it's very similar because it's the same server. like xx.xxx.xxx.x1 for the entry xx.xxx.xxx.x2 for the exit so it's easy to track a user if you have access to the exit and entry IP.

Your ISP doesn't have "access" to them, the entry IP is the one that will appear in their logs.

What you describe is AirVPN themselves. Only they "know" both your entry and exit IP. But I don't think they track you and sell the data to third parties.

There's one more post with a better explanation on why AirVPN doesn't offer a double hop feature.. can't find it right now. Forums are getting big and fat..

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Your ISP knows you are connected to one IP but you are visible through another. :) Compare the entry IP in OpenVPN's log file with the exit IP displayed by ipleak.net for example. It will never be the same. :)

Yes but like I said, it's very similar because it's the same server. like xx.xxx.xxx.x1 for the entry xx.xxx.xxx.x2 for the exit so it's easy to track a user if you have access to the exit and entry IP.

Hello,

not for all servers but yes, for several of them the IP addresses are in the same /24 subnet. There are relevant exceptions in our servers but anyway the correct approach is different, for this purpose it is much safer to run Tor after the connection to a VPN server has been established, especially when you can't afford that your ISP or government detects Tor usage by you.

Kind regards

What's the point of a doublehop through the same VPN provider? People use it for connecting through two different providers for extra security.

Hi

Lots of text but a clarification (for a dummy like me) would be nice... Say that I use following...

Windows VPN #1 (Air..) --->  Virtual Machine/Linux VPN #2 (xxx) and here could also use  VPN #3 with browser extension.

So, my ISP for sure sees #1 IP but can it see the #2 IP when tunneling thru #1?
Does the #3 case add more or any extra safety? 

Cheers
Pelle