Not connected, Your IP: 3.209.81.51
Sign in to follow this  
KevinKnitt

VPN Through Router And US Servers Secure?

On the FAQ it explains that AirVPN can be accessed directly through the router if it supports PPTP. Both my wife and I connect through our laptops and we also have our Playstation 3/ Media center connected and it's great that I can just go any make my whole router secure without having to log on all the time. But I dont understand all the information required..

Internet Service Provider - PPTP

Login

Password (I assume these are the same I'd type in on the AirVPN Client.)

Connection Mode: Always On.

My IP Address

Subnet Mask (Assume this is my static IP with Mask.)

Server Address (Who's Server? How do I find out the ip of the server I want to connect too - the one in Germany for instance.)

Gateway IP Address

Connection ID/Name (How is this different than my log in info)

DNS Address (Get Autormaticaly From ISP or Use These DNS Servers)

Is there a guide that covers these settings?

Also a second question. It's easy to trust Germany and Netherland servers (except for the MegaUploads CEO who got arrested in the Netherlands recently. But how can AirVPN be secure/private when using US servers when our Government can wiretap/Carnivore any ISP/VPN provider that they feel like? I noticed that the US servers are both practically empty. Is this the reason why?

On the FAQ it explains that AirVPN can be accessed directly through the router if it supports PPTP. Both my wife and I connect through our laptops and we also have our Playstation 3/ Media center connected and it's great that I can just go any make my whole router secure without having to log on all the time. But I dont understand all the information required..

Hello!

Wait, in the FAQ we wrote that your router must support OpenVPN. This is incompatible with PPTP. We don't support PPTP for security reasons (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pptp#Security_of_the_PPTP_protocol).

Does your router support OpenVPN? If not, you may have additional accounts for your different devices in order to connect to VPN servers simultaneously.

Also a second question. It's easy to trust Germany and Netherland servers (except for the MegaUploads CEO who got arrested in the Netherlands recently. But how can AirVPN be secure/private when using US servers when our Government can wiretap/Carnivore any ISP/VPN provider that they feel like? I noticed that the US servers are both practically empty. Is this the reason why?

No logs are kept in any VPN server. Also, no VPN server has any database account information. If you fear that USA servers may be wiretapped in real time without our knowledge you may use them over TOR. See https://airvpn.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=64&Itemid=122

USA servers are anyway helpful to keep our project sustainable, because we have several requests to access geo-discriminatory (legal) USA services like Hulu, Pandora and Netflix.

We're looking forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

Oh that makes sense. Thank you for a very fast response.

Not that I have any reason to worry about wiretapping or anything. Just after reading about how a member of Anonomous got arrested after believing he was safe using HideMyAss.

In that article they suggested AirVPN as being one of the few thatdon't keep logs or limit access to ports.

In the comments section a representative (maybe even the CEO) left a really nasty reply talking about how, "We never claimed that we'd be willing to harbor criminals and normal users have nothing to fear about us logging." and "thank you for the free advertisement. We have noticed a huge spike in customers since this article came out."

It's funny he'd mention that because I canceled my subscription with them immediately.

yeah when i read that i decided never to use HMA again..

I even got a warning from them one time in my email..

glad i used an anonymous payment method..

can't use it anymore..

and won't use HMA anymore either...

very happy with AirVPN so far