Not connected, Your IP: 34.204.3.195
CultureVulture

ANSWERED can't connect to airvpn DNS servers, but can to Open DNS, OSX 10

Here comes your ridiculous nooby question of the month from your quintessential nooby.

I have messed something up at some stage (don't know how, don't know when, possibly in an incorrect process of upgrading Tunnelblick), but now, my computer can't connect to the internet at all unless I set Open DNS servers into the network settings. If I put in any of the AirVPN servers manually (which I have tried), DNS does not resolve. It is not a major drama, but I would really prefer to use the Air DNS servers than any others. I am running OSX 10.7.5

Thanks.

you can't use AirVPN DNS servers unless you are connected to one of their servers via VPN.  It sounds as though you aren't connected.

Ok, I think I get it. So, if I add the Open DNS servers into the network settings (leaving the AirVPN server address also) I can connect to the VPN, and once there, DNS requests will automatically be pushed through the AirVPN DNS server, rather than the Open DNS server. Is that correct? Hope this makes sense!

somebody that uses that OS needs to reply here with the real answer.  but, I believe you should be able to use opendns when not connected to VPN and have the DNS servers switched automatically to use Air once connected by VPN.

Have you tried the Eddie client that Air provides?

Ok, I think I get it. So, if I add the Open DNS servers into the network settings (leaving the AirVPN server address also) I can connect to the VPN, and once there, DNS requests will automatically be pushed through the AirVPN DNS server, rather than the Open DNS server. Is that correct? Hope this makes sense!

No you don't need to manually input Air's DNS servers anywhere. When you connect to AirVPN via Tunnelblick or Viscosity that program will automatically poll Air's server for DNS as part of the OpenVPN connection process. Your system's network settings (including DNS) just need to be set to whatever DNS you want to use whether that's OpenDNS or the Chaos Computer Club or anything in between. As said above Air's servers will refuse to serve you unless you're actually connected to their VPN already. Since you need a DNS server to actually find the OpenVPN server to connect in the first instance, you can (hopefully) see how using Air's settings in your system's network config is a self-defeating and bad idea. 

PS go558a83nk unfortunately Eddie is only available on the latest two versions of OS X which the OP doesn't have, hence him using Tunnelblick to start with.

Hello!

Warning: if nameservers are set manually in OS X, Tunnelblick will IGNORE the DNS push from OpenVPN servers.

Kind regards

I was really happy with the posts until I reached the staff post, and then I was thrown! : (

I am assuming that when you say "if nameservers are set manually in OS X," you are referring to AirVPN DNS servers.

OK, I have removed all manual entries to AirVPN DNS servers and installed nicproject ones. On doing that, I was able to connect to AirVPN, and this has opened normally and everything is going through the VPN as before. Does this mean then that I have achieved my objective (ie, all DNS requests when on VPN are pushed through from AirVPN DNS servers). Otherwise, how would I test things to figure out what the system is doing?

Thanks all for your help. I hate bugging people with such noob questions.

If what Staff says is true regarding your OS and use of tunnelblick, that it ignores the DNS push from AirVPN (no reason to doubt it), then it means that if you set nicproject DNS manually in your OS you'll still be using nicproject DNS even when connected to VPN.  this isn't a bad thing.  All DNS requests will go through the tunnel, but will go to nicproject servers, not Air DNS.