Not connected, Your IP: 3.236.57.1
mblue

ANSWERED Configuring deluge to use AirVPN (linux)

I am new to VPNs in general and would like to ask how one configures deluge to use AirVPN.  Do I need to configure openvpn on my linux box to do this or can it work directly within deluge?  Thank you.

I'm in a rush and will be happy to fill in any gaps and provide walk-throughs etc later if necessary.

Essentially go to the client area, then select the forwarded ports section. Generate a port or set of ports - you can generate that single port and use it for all instances (DHT, trackers, peers) or you can generate a port for each function. Open Deluge, and enter the port (or ports) you generated. Restart Deluge. You're done. Do NOT forward ports on your router, the only place you mess with forwards is in the client area. 

Thank you very much for the summary.  What you describe seems very simple.  I was confused when I saw the config generator and thought I would need openvpn on the linux box.

Oh wait, you're not even connected to Air yet? You need to connect to the VPN before any forwarded ports will work. What Linux distro are you running? You'll need to set up a connection to AirVPN through network manager or download and run Air's client Eddie. There are guides in the how to section of the forum, and you can download Eddie from the 'Enter' section of the main website. I'll be happy to talk you through it if needs be. Just let me know.

Is the Eddie client a requirement?  I would prefer not to use extra software.

Is the Eddie client a requirement?  I would prefer not to use extra software.

No, not at all. On Linux (which distro btw?) you can connect using NetworkManager or through openvpn directly in a shell (terminal/command line). You can find the guides in the how to section of the forum. Personally I do have Eddie (Air's client) available but I tend to use NetworkManager mostly for simplicity. That said I would at least give you the following information in case it informs your decision:

• Eddie is fully open source, just like the other software in your Linux install.
  • Eddie has many more features available that you can't easily get in Linux (OpenVPN over SSL or SSH, OpenVPN over TOR, network lock, DNS control, tunnel checking, real time server lists and stats etc).
  • Eddie doesn't have to be installed, you can just download the portable folder and run it (or not) at will without it touching your system.

Just in case that helps sway your opinion, as I can imagine primary objections would be closed v open source, and changes / installs to the local host. If you have any problems or questions just yell, this is a pretty friendly forum. Cheers.

Thank you for the kind reply.  I am using a distro called Arch Linux which is like Gentoo but a binary based repo.  I am using systemd's built in network service to setup the NIC.  For my case case, I would like to setup the vpn only for p2p traffic.  Does that mean I need to use openvpn on the linux machine and if so, other traffic like https, etc would go through the normal network interface?

Thank you for the kind reply.  I am using a distro called Arch Linux which is like Gentoo but a binary based repo.  I am using systemd's built in network service to setup the NIC.  For my case case, I would like to setup the vpn only for p2p traffic.  Does that mean I need to use openvpn on the linux machine and if so, other traffic like https, etc would go through the normal network interface?

Oh if you're running Arch mate I've been patronising you. Sorry. It's just obviously difficult to gauge the level of new people asking advice so I always play it safe to save glazed expressions lol.  I run Arch on one or two of our boxes too, but I tend to use CentOS, Fedora, Debian and BSD for most. When you say you're using systemd I assume you mean you're running static configs in /etc/conf.d/net-conf-xxxx as opposed to NetworkManager then? You can configure openvpn from the shell or script if you don't want to use NM or Eddie.

You can do as you propose regarding omitting the HTTP traffic, it's called split tunnelling but I've never done it personally. There are a couple of guides on the forum if you do a quick search - I know there's one for DD-WRT which may give you some pointers. If not start a second thread in the appropriate section with a more direct title (like 'split tunnelling on Linux') which may attract the attention of the right kind of people, rather than another generic 'help me set up my torrent client' type thread.

If it's strictly for torrenting only there are several other alternatives. You could set up a virtual machine or use qemu/whatever to run a headless BSD or Linux install with deluge-daemon and write-through access to the main (or network) hdd. Or you could get a SOCKS5 proxy instead of a VPN (not really recommended for various reasons). Best bet is to persevere for advice from guys who've done what you require before. Staff may also help if you submit a ticket. Why exactly do you want to avoid using the VPN for your general traffic out of interest? AirVPN perform seamless routing so all geo-locked content works on every server (so US Hulu works from NL servers etc etc), which is the primary reason I could think for wanting it this way. 

Thank you again for the nice reply.  Perhaps a VM is the best solution.  Is it best to use the eddie client or to configure openvpn?  Can openvpn do all the same things as the eddie client?

Thank you again for the nice reply.  Perhaps a VM is the best solution.  Is it best to use the eddie client or to configure openvpn?  Can openvpn do all the same things as the eddie client?

You run Arch so I know you're not afraid to get your hands dirty and understand how Linux works from kernel space through to userland (unless you meant 'Manjaro', or you used EvoLution to set it up). As such it's possible to replicate basically every function of Eddie yourself, i.e. OpenVPN over SSH, OpenVPN over SSL, network locking, DNS setups, custom routing etc. You'd obviously need more than the openvpn libraries to do that though. That said you'll find the Eddie client is light and easy to use and it ties all these things together nicely into one place with a simple GUI. It's packed full of easy to use, but advanced, features. I run Arch, BSD and all kinds as I said but I still reach for Eddie - it's well written so why waste time writing scripts? LOL 

I'd advise you just grab the portable and see what you think. Download it to /home/user (for example) and then open a shell in the airvpn directory. Then just chmod +x airvpn and 'sudo/gksu/kdesu/whatever airvpn'. It's all self-contained and keeps its generated configs within the same folder so you can easily fully 'uninstall' it if you like. Have a play and see what you think.

I got openvpn working just fine with the config. generator.  Very nice.  Thanks for all your kind advice.

I got openvpn working just fine with the config. generator.  Very nice.  Thanks for all your kind advice.

Any time, I'm glad you're all sorted. Welcome to AirVPN!

PS Do check Air's test page to ensure your connection is secure. You should only see the exit node IP (listed as the country you connected to, with a green circle saying 'AirVPN exit node'). DNS should not include your ISP DNS and your ISP IP shouldn't be showing anywhere. This isn't usually an issue on Linux, only Windows, but better safe than sorry.

Posted ... (edited)

Thank you.  My DNS entries were leaking but after setting the nameservers in /etc/resolv.conf like below, am fine now

nameserver 10.4.0.1
nameserver 10.5.0.1
Edited ... by mblue

Hello There,

I have a similar question. Deluge has 4 text boxes for port numbers as opposed to only one. Do i put the same number in all of them? Or do i need a different number for outgoing ports?

9383149_orig.png

Bonjour, j'ai la même question que Genos : comment faut-il remplir le port sortant ? Au hasard, ou avec le même port que le port entrant ?

Hello, I have the same question as Genos: how do I fill in the outgoing port? Randomly, or with the same port as the incoming port?

Merci. Thank you.