Not connected, Your IP: 3.129.13.201

Hi,

Does VLC player work over Airvpn? For example, if I use VLC player to watch YouTube videos will YouTube see my actual IP or Air's IP? I'm guessing it will be routed via Air but I want to be 100% sure.

I hope someone knows.

Cheers,

Rabbit

Your guess is correct because the actual networking is not done by individual applications but the operating system, which uses a routing table to figure out how to contact any given IP address. The default route usually points at your home router, but OpenVPN will set a new default route, pointing at the VPN interface.
If you've verified that your browser traffic exits through the VPN, the same will be true for any other application.

The only exceptions to this wouldn't be application-specific, but address-specific - for example, connectons to your local address space won't be routed through the VPN.

all of my content is released under CC-BY-SA 2.0

Half-off-topic: How do you watch YouTube with VLC without pasting the link from the browser? Is there a plugin for this?

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Hi,

Thank's for the info.

Regarding VLC and YouTube; I was wanting to just paste from the browser. Is there any reason not to do this?

Best,

Rabbit

Well, no, but it's more complicated because you can just use HTML5 playback in the browser

(Sent via Tapatalk 4)

Half-off-topic: How do you watch YouTube with VLC without pasting the link from the browser? Is there a plugin for this?

If you use linux, there is a script that might interest you called 'youtube-dl' which can extract them for playback at a later time.  See their website: http://rg3.github.io/youtube-dl

If you use linux, there is a script that might interest you called 'youtube-dl' which can extract them for playback at a later time.  See their website: http://rg3.github.io/youtube-dl

Seems like you just download it. I've got a Firefox add-on for this.

I wonder if there's a plugin which can be used to search on YouTube and play the video inside VLC... that'd be great.