Not connected, Your IP: 54.89.24.147
PWolverine

Network lock and sharing local folders on home network.

Hi there,

I just had a question about Network Lock.  I turned it on when I use torrents and to make myself more secure / private.  However, I also have some public shared folders on this computer with my local network.  This is so my Roku/WDTV Live can grab movie / TV show files and play it on the television in the other room.

It seems when Network Lock is enabled, the Advanced Sharing settings for the network on Windows 8 automatically turns OFF the Network Discover and File sharing buttons.  When I enable then and click save, then go back into the settings they are turned off again - this is when AirVPN is running and Network Lock is turned ON.  So it makes the devices in the other rooms unable to find the files on this computer using the local network when I am using the VPN. 

I was wondering if it possible to somehow make the local network files accessible to other computers when AirVPN is running with the Network Lock enabled?  Right now through AirVPN it doesn't seem to be possible, i'm wondering if there is a work around available?  Or could the local network settings be loosened up slightly in future AirVPN versions?   I'm assuming local network sharing won't impact identity on the internet when using the VPN?

Thanks for the help,

Get the beta version. Go here and click other versions- experimental and after you install go in preferences, advanced, network lock and enable allow lan

https://airvpn.org/windows/

Hmmm just tried the new version.  Allow LAN/Private is automatically ticked on Install.

When I go to Change Advanced Sharing Settings, Private and Public Network Discovery and File and Printer Sharing are still automatically off.  You can turn it on, but as soon as you save and go back in the settings are back to off, and the shared folders are not discoverable.

Hmmm it appears when you enable network lock in this new version, it removes all the entries from your Windows Firewall, that is what is stopping you from enabling file sharing even AFTER you totally quick AirVPN and restart.

The only entries it leaves in the Windows Firewall rules are:

AirVPN - ICMP V4

AirVPN - In - AllowLocal

AirVPN - In - AllowVPN

So even after you quit AirVPN and restart windows the previous rules are not back, and it won't let you re-enable the sharing setting because all the rules are gone within Windows Firewall.

After searching online and there are other people with this problem (unrelated to AirVPN), I used this tool to fix Windows Firewall again which then allows me to enable the file sharing options in windows:  (For anyone else that may have this problem)

http://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/getmirror/tweaking_com_repair_windows_firewall,2.html

After running the repair on Windows firewall you can enable the share settings again, but if you go back and enable Network Lock in AirVPN all the rules are gone again and the problem is back.

I think i'll wait for the official release, and hope this is fixed..  I'd love to be able to run network lock on this machine and also share files from it around my local network.

I see the same thing with the latest experimental version of the AirVPN client on OSX.

When I enable network lock my network discovery does not work anymore, and so does my time capsule backup. Network (in Finder) remains empty. When I turn Network Lock off all shares that can be discovered appear again. I have both 'allow lan' enabled in Network Lock and I have the correct routes for LAN traffic under Routes.

To be clear, I can connect to LAN servers just fine, the only problem is with discovering them.

Feels like Network Lock is too restrictive for (broadcast) LAN traffic?

Thanks in advance for any update. AirVPN rocks.

I found similar things under Windows.  It was a little hit and miss in regards to my WDTVlive finding my Windows machine when Network lock was on with this new Beta.  I couldn't work out why it sometimes works and other times didn't.  Recently, I went into Windows Firewall, Advanced Settings and looked for the Core Networking and File and Printer Sharing types of rules.  Some were allowed whilst others were not (with the same rule), so I just enabled them all.  Now it seems to get through more times then it doesn't.  From memory I don't think there is a similar thing on the mac firewall? 

Is there really a big security / privacy reason to limit the local networks (that I don't understand)?  I'd love for the internet to be network locked, but my local network to be unlocked for all my devices.

I'm having the same issue as the OP.

Had to use the utility provided by pwolverine to fix the windows firewall. I tried allowing sharing in the latest windows client.

Is this issue being looked into? Would really prefer to use network lock but can't because if I do I can't use my WDTV player.

Cheers!

I'm having the same issue as the OP.

Had to use the utility provided by pwolverine to fix the windows firewall. I tried allowing sharing in the latest windows client.

Is this issue being looked into? Would really prefer to use network lock but can't because if I do I can't use my WDTV player.

Cheers!

Hey there..

I'm currently using the AirVPN client 2.10.3 - can't remember if that is the latest, or the latest beta.

But my work around for this problem with the WDTV not picking up my Windows shares when AirVPN is running on that machine is the following:

1. Turn on Windows PC, let it load up but do NOT run AirVPN yet.
  2. Turn on WDTV in other room, boot it up and let it find the windows shares - as AirVPN is not running, it should pop up within a minute or so.
  3. Once you have connected the WDTV to your Windows Shares turn ON AirVPN, Activate Network lock and continue as normal.

I find that if you hook the WDTV into the Windows machine without the VPN running it works fine, then if you connect the VPN it does not interrupt the already connected WDTV live.. this has allowed me to stream things over WIFI to my WDTV and also run AirVPN in Network Lock mode so I can use the net securely.

I hope that helps you.  It still would be great to have those File sharing windows default rules enabled when Network Lock is enabled on AirVPN.

Using the openvpn client allows you to be connected to airvpn, and sharing of folders to other LAN devices.  Or a least it does for me.  My main win 10 machine has stayed connected for over a week to the same server, so i have never worried about network lock.  Might be worth a try for you.

Using the openvpn client allows you to be connected to airvpn, and sharing of folders to other LAN devices.  Or a least it does for me.  My main win 10 machine has stayed connected for over a week to the same server, so i have never worried about network lock.  Might be worth a try for you.

Anyway, it's important to know that Network Lock is important for other purposes, not only for leaks prevention in case of unexpected VPN disconection.

In Windows 10, in particular, due to DNS new phantasmagorical implementation (nope, no global DNS in Windows... again... probably never...) Network Lock can play a key synergy role in DNS leaks prevention, and a key role under a very peculiar attack exploiting usage of Win 10 DNS and Eddie settings that one of our customers found and kindly informed us of.

On top of that Network Lock prevents leaks due to processes binding to the physical interface (remember WebRTC for example) etc. etc.

Kind regards

Has this issue with local network discovery with airvpn been resolved?  I'm experiencing the same issues as the OP.  the last post was over a year ago......

I have found using the new beta I haven't had any issues hooking in over the network, with network lock on.  Have you tried the experimental release (beta)?

I have found using the new beta I haven't had any issues hooking in over the network, with network lock on.  Have you tried the experimental release (beta)?

Excellent.

After having re-read the whole thread, we see that two problems are treated as one. One thing is the accessibility through SSDP, Bonjour etc. of nodes in your local network, that's been solved with less restrictive Network Lock in Eddie 2.11.x.

A different thing is the resolution of the names of devices in your Local Network when your system queries only VPN DNS, which obviously can't know your local names.

Kind regards