Not connected, Your IP: 3.140.188.16

I've just joined airVPN. I'm on Virgin Media cable 100Mbps down, 6Mpbs up. Connecting to the Manchester server gives these results:

Down: 21.470 Mbit/s Out, 7.821 Mbit/s In (36%), 20MB - Up: 5.705 Mbit/s Out, 5.378 Mbit/s In (94%), 20MB - Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2015 19:08:53 GMT - Buffers: 20MB/20MB - Laps: 3, Time: 132.94 secs

Whats your hardware / setup. No reason why you should be seeing 90-95% of your line throughput up and down if you are using suitable hardware. I have noticed at peak times that Virgin can throttle (either intentionally via traffic shaping or because of plain old traffic volume).

My PC is Windows 7 Ultimate with a wired connection to the Virgin Media superhub.

I changed the AirVPN connection to SSL, not much difference:

Down: 20.941 Mbit/s Out, 7.523 Mbit/s In (35%), 20MB - Up: 5.699 Mbit/s Out, 5.240 Mbit/s In (91%), 20MB - Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2015 21:29:41 GMT - Buffers: 20MB/20MB - Laps: 3, Time: 134.99 secs

I then disconnected AirVPN and did this Ookla Speedtest which gave me what I expected:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4270060662

Those are results from Air's speed tester, yes? I'm on VM's 152Mbps package and Air's speed test gives me similarly low results. Fire up an Ubuntu torrent (no really, they're always consistently well seeded / fast) and see what you get. I can get 10Mbps result from Air's speed checker and two seconds later I'm pulling 150Mbps from a torrent. I think it's an issue with the tester, because real world the speeds are WAY higher.

I assume you have your virgin modem is modem mode too?

Whats the PC specs, processor etc. I'm sure some l337 hackorz have made it run on a Raspberry Pi and you are never going to see top speeds on very limited hardware. At the speeeds your speediest returns its more likely a hardware limitation rather than a misconfiguration Im guessing. 

On a a 120 line I'm seeing 110down, 9-10 up usually outside of random fluctuations due to traffic or contention etc. Id expect you see 135 down out of your 150 with full encryption etc - assuming you are using appropriate hardware. A C2758f Rangeley should handle it with ease for example. 

Airs speed tester is odd and doesn't reflect what i see with proper downloads etc. I never spent long enough with it to figure out whats up with it. 

dlecbasC, it's likely not hardware if his PC runs Windows 7. As we've both pointed out (you and I), Air's tester is borked. That said, you did hit on a nugget of gold there.... The Superhub is buggy as hell and can't handle VPN connections when it's set up as a router. I was stuck with 2.5MB/sec to 3MB/sec on any device I tested, until I threw it into modem mode and patched it through a pfSense box. Boom, full speed. Virgin don't care and probably did it intentionally, but for sure the Superhub and especially Superhub 2 are broken for VPN. 

OP are you seeing full speeds (around 12MB/sec on torrents)?  Probably not if you're using the superhub as a router. If you are using your superhub as a router, try putting it into modem mode under the advanced settings at http://192.168.100.1 Make sure you have an ethernet cable to connect directly to the bottom port of the hub, right above the wire that comes in from coax, and after rebooting it'll directly patch the connected device to the internet rather than acting as a router. It's important to note that this means you'll NEED a firewall on the connected device, even Windows firewall set to the Public profile will suffice for now. Then connect to Air and try again. If you see proper speeds, as I know you will, then it's time to build a pfSense router or even buy a 'decent' consumer router like the Asus RT-N56U for about £40. Then you'll have no more issues. 

I dug out a D-Link Dir-655 router and connected it to the Virgin Media superhub (which is now in modem mode for the first time). I've manually connected it to the server with the lowest latency (Naos in Manchester). The speedtest result is awful:

Down: 7.079 Mbit/s Out, 6.889 Mbit/s In (97%), 20MB - Up: 4.827 Mbit/s Out, 4.616 Mbit/s In (95%), 20MB - Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2015 18:05:58 GMT - Buffers: 20MB/20MB - Laps: 3, Time: 176.16 secs

This is confirmed by the Ookla speedtest:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4272204774

When I disconnect AirVPN and rerun the Ookla speedtest, I get the result I'm expecting:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4272232248

Any ideas?

As above, try an Ubuntu torrent. You can get the .torrent file from here. I do find Air's servers slower at peak times compared to my naked ISP connection, and NL servers are more reliably fast than Manchester, but nothing like that. It definitely sounds like a local issue, but of course nothing can be ruled out. 

I've been with AirVPN for a few years now. I always find Virgin Media to throttle AirVPN traffic. I'm on 100mps, and normally get close to this speed on "speedtest" when out of the VPN. However using AirVPN I normally get heavily throttled. I've tried every method of connection and most UK & European servers over the years. They all generally give the same results.

The best results I find on VM are using SSL 443, using a German server. I use both windows 7 and Ubuntu and have the superhub in modem mode. Using Eddie or manual setup makes no difference for me.

I don't mind the speed drop, as I prefer security to speed.

Interestingly, if you look at the AirVPN speed monitor screen in the Eddie client whilst doing a speedtest at the same time, the readings between both can fluctuate dramatically.

I have very recently signed up to AirVPN

I live in London, I have Virgin Media 150mb down 12mb up.

These are my results, using one of the UK servers, and using SSL 443

Down: 20.487 Mbit/s Out, 20.682 Mbit/s In (100%), 20MB - Up: 9.879 Mbit/s Out, 10.176 Mbit/s In (103%), 20MB - Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 13:46:09 GMT - Buffers: 20MB/20MB - Laps: 3, Time: 76.95 sec

They seem to be very similar to yours.

Again, without VPN, i get 150mb down etc. as expected.

Heres my 120mbit line with and without VPN (UDP 443)....

31-virgin-direct-connection.png

30-airvpn-connection.png

I can switch between the Clearnet and OpenVPN connection and see close to identical results anytime, Virgin do not in my experience throttle VPN traffic. This is with a Rangeley c2758 board and 8GB RAM. 

I raised a ticket and made a number of changes, such as SSH on port 80 and SSL on port 443. There was an improvement but, strangely, going back to Automatic protocol gave me my best Ookla speedtest download (89mbps).

However, it's now poor again (without and with AirVPN on Automatic):

4280124083.png

4280108983.png