Not connected, Your IP: 44.211.117.101
Staff

Eddie 2.9 Experimental available

Hello!

We're glad and proud to inform you that the new client Eddie 2.9 is almost ready to be released.

In the meantime, you might like to test Eddie 2.9 Experimental, which is already available. Eddie 2.9 Experimental has already passed successfully the alpha testing and has almost completed beta testing. You're very welcome to test it, if you feel a little adventurous: the version you find available for download is also a very serious 2.9 release candidate.

In order to download it, after you have entered the download page for your system click "Other versions" and click "Experimental".

This version includes bug fixes, important changes and many options required by you.

Here is the changelog:

https://airvpn.org/services/changelog.php?software=client&format=html

• [new] Windows - Option to disable IPv6
  • [new] OS X - Option to disable IPv6
  • [new] Network Lock option for Private network
  • [new] Network Lock option for ping
  • [new] Options to use custom DNS servers
  • [new] UI - Command-line in logs tab
  • [change] New explicit option for Network Lock activation when client starts up
  • [new] UI - Network Lock icon on top-right corner
  • [bugfix] Whitelist/Blacklist no more reverted with 'Refresh servers' button
  • [change] SSL local certificate verification
  • [bugfix] VPN Up script bugfix
  • [bugfix] Windows - XP TAP driver detection
  • [change] Windows - DNS Force & Check active by default
  • [change] Windows - DNS Force occurs now after the VPN connection is established, not before
  • [bugfix] Windows - DNS Force also on TAP interface.
  • [bugfix] Linux - Network Lock via ip6tables blocks IPv6
  • [change] UI - Misc layout improvements
  • [change] UI - GitHub link in About
  • [change] OS X - PF rules changes
  • [change] Linux - iptables rules changes
  • [change] UI - New advanced tab for DNS
  • [change] New method to Check DNS
  • [change] Disabled auto-redirect auth for security reasons
  • [change] Authentication for AirVPN credentials through POST requests, to avoid issue with long-url
  • [change] Authentication servers connections through IP addresses only, to avoid DNS detection

Kind regards

Keep up the good work guys! Working great under Arch Linux x64 (using the normal portable bundle), whereas Eddie 2.8.8 was having some issues unless you used the non-mono version and installed mono locally instead.

testing this on yosemite right now. network lock improvements are very welcome. I'm now able to reach my local network with NL being active. also NL on eddie startup seems to work so far. the only thing missing now is a way to prevent connections during system startup to make it really bulletproof. until then I'll  keep little snitch profile switching active for that purpose.

thx and keep up the great work!

Also up and running on Arch Linux x64 portable version non mono.

​Have issue with the check if tunnel uses Air DNS, when turned on I get a connection loop to nowhere however when deselected EDDIE connects just fine.

​IMO this is another step forward for Airvpn, thanks for all the work.

Hello there!

I'm new to AirVPN and very happy so far. Thanks for the info about the client, will try!

Greetings

fox

Really appreciate having the network lock (NL) indicator and new options!

Some observations for when the NL is enabled with "Allow LAN" and "Allow Ping" unchecked (Windows system) and not connected to the VPN:

• In many cases I can still ping when the NL is active
  • If I flush the DNS resolver cache when the NL is enabled, a ping by domain name stops working but I'm still able to ping by IP address
  • This appears to imply that it is not blocking all traffic and protocols, but blocking DNS traffic and still allowing some network traffic (only ping? others as well? I don't know)
  • If I start pinging an external address when the NL disabled and then enable it, ping continues (same with disconnecting from the VPN with NL enabled - it times out for 1 or 2, then continues).
    • I would expect that enabling the NL is like slamming a door on all traffic, so that ping would start failing from that point on.
    • I understand that this is ping we're talking about and is harmless, but it raises the issue of trust - if someone sees this, they might wonder, "If ping continues to go through when the NL is enabled, will something like bittorrent traffic also continue if the VPN is closed?" For others reading - I've tested bittorrent traffic and it IS blocked when the VPN is disconnected with the NL enabled.
    • While I know bittorrent is blocked, because of the ambiguous way ping works, I don't know if everything is blocked, so some might be left wondering, "If I suspect a virus or trojan or backdoor is on my system and want to cut all communications, how do I know the NL will do this, since it doesn't appear to block all traffic?" On the other hand, in situations like that, it would be better to physically disconnect a cable anyway.
  • The basic logic behind the two options (Allow LAN/Ping) works as I would expect - unchecking "Allow LAN" and checking "Allow Ping" blocks Ping (with same issues mentioned previously), since Ping is considered network traffic
    • I can see how others might be confused by this, though (since "Allow Ping" is still checked)
    • To prevent possible confusion, you could automatically uncheck "Allow Ping" and restrict/grey out the option (so it can't be changed) when "Allow LAN" is unchecked
  • If I check "Allow LAN" but leave "Allow Ping" unchecked, it blocks Ping (same issues mentioned previously), as I would expect it to work

Installed v2.9 experimental on my Win7 64bit PC this morning. After install I checked the "Activate Network Lock at Start Up" box and noticed that I now have a green border round the perimeter of both my Pale Moon 64 bit browser screen and qBittorrent GUI. I am near certain they weren't like that before. Does this have to do with the Network Lock feature?. I am using Comodo CIS as security. Other than that all seems to be working well with v2.9.

Installed v2.9 experimental on my Win7 64bit PC this morning. After install I checked the "Activate Network Lock at Start Up" box and noticed that I now have a green border round the perimeter of both my Pale Moon 64 bit browser screen and qBittorrent GUI. I am near certain they weren't like that before. Does this have to do with the Network Lock feature?. I am using Comodo CIS as security. Other than that all seems to be working well with v2.9.

Hello!

In Windows the Network Lock plug-in uses the Windows Firewall. Keeping two different packet filtering tools active at the same time can lead to unpredictable and potentially dangerous behavior because you have two programs with high privileges which compete to manipulate concurrently kernel tables.

Kind regards

Hello!

In Windows the Network Lock plug-in uses the Windows Firewall. Keeping two different packet filtering tools active at the same time can lead to unpredictable and potentially dangerous behavior because you have two programs with high privileges which compete to manipulate concurrently kernel tables.

Kind regards

My Windows Firewall is switched off. I only use Comodo CIS as real time protection>

Hello!

Kind regards

My Windows Firewall is switched off. I only use Comodo CIS as real time protection>

Network lock is simply a checkbox that enables Windows firewall and adds the default AirVPN ruleset behind the scenes. By checking the box you've re-enabled Windows firewall which is then running at the same time as Comodo.

Hello!

Kind regards

Network lock is simply a checkbox that enables Windows firewall and adds the default AirVPN ruleset behind the scenes. By checking the box you've re-enabled Windows firewall which is then running at the same time as Comodo.

I have unchecked the box now for Network Lock but Windows Firewall cannot switch itself on on my PC as I have it set to disabled in Services. I had a problem a couple of years back when somehow Windows Firewall switched on by itself. Turned out that it was one of the monthly MS updates which had caused this to happen as I had only turned it off from the box on the services screen. To ensure that it cannot switch itself on again by accident you must go into properties and disable it from there, then it is off period. The green border only happened on my first visit online after updating to v2.9 X it has gone now. Is there an uncomplicated way to get the network lock feature to work with Comodo CIS?.

I have unchecked the box now for Network Lock but Windows Firewall cannot switch itself on on my PC as I have it set to disabled in Services. I had a problem a couple of years back when somehow Windows Firewall switched on by itself. Turned out that it was one of the monthly MS updates which had caused this to happen as I had only turned it off from the box on the services screen. To ensure that it cannot switch itself on again by accident you must go into properties and disable it from there, then it is off period. The green border only happened on my first visit online after updating to v2.9 X it has gone now. Is there an uncomplicated way to get the network lock feature to work with Comodo CIS?.

I'm not speaking for Eddie (the Air client) directly, but I'm pretty sure once you give something administrator access it can enable services at will. With that in mind saying it definitely can't re-enable because you disabled the service is rather disingenous. As for Comodo, there's a full guide in the forum's how to section. Hope this helps, and I'm glad to hear your issue resolved itself.

Just got around to installing this on my MacBook Pro. After logging in and changing two settings (activate network lock at start, and don't confirm exit) I tried to change protocol. I always connect over 443 UDP normally. On my MacBook Pro every single box on the protocols page is OK, except 443 UDP. This box is impossible to select. I rebooted the machine, reinstalled Eddie 2.9 and still it won't allow me to check the box. Every other box can be selected just fine. What did I miss?

I'm not speaking for Eddie (the Air client) directly, but I'm pretty sure once you give something administrator access it can enable services at will. With that in mind saying it definitely can't re-enable because you disabled the service is rather disingenous. As for Comodo, there's a full guide in the forum's how to section. Hope this helps, and I'm glad to hear your issue resolved itself.

Keep in mind for servers stats to show up in eddie you will also need on step 10 to add 1 more rule to be able to ping the airvpn servers(ICMP to all airvpn servers ips).

Just movingthis from the other thread,  I'm trying to share some local folders on the computer I use AirVPN on so that a WDTV Live can grab video files from the shared folder and play them on a TV in another room.  Under Windows 8.1 it appears when you enable network lock in this new version, it removes all the entries from your Windows Firewall, which then stops you from enabling file sharing even AFTER you totally quick AirVPN and restart.

The only entries it leaves in the Windows Firewall rules are:

AirVPN - ICMP V4

AirVPN - In - AllowLocal

AirVPN - In - AllowVPN

So even after you quit AirVPN and restart windows the previous rules are not back, and it won't let you re-enable the sharing setting because all the rules are gone within Windows Firewall - you turn on Network Discovery and File and Printer Sharing in the Advanced Sharing settings, however after you click save and go back in they are back to OFF.

After searching online and there are other people with this problem (That sharing turns off - unrelated to AirVPN), I used this tool to fix Windows Firewall again which then allows me to enable the file sharing options in windows:  (For anyone else that may have this problem)

http://www.majorgeek...firewall,2.html

After running the repair on Windows firewall you can enable the share settings again, but if you go back and enable Network Lock in AirVPN all the rules are gone again and the problem is back.

Is anyone else experiencing anything similar?  Or know of a workaround?  Perhaps something needs to be updated before the official release?

I'd love to be able to share files on this main computer, and have network lock enabled whilst downloading - so just Network Discovery and File & Printer sharing on this local private network is ON, so that other computers can use those shared folders?

When is this getting to "stable"? I want to use it, but I don't feel like using experimental software atm.

Is anyone else experiencing anything similar?  Or know of a workaround?  Perhaps something needs to be updated before the official release?

EDIT: IGNORE THIS POST - SEE POST #23 BELOW

Same issue here on Win7 32-bit.

Eddie should create two firewall backup files (winfirewallrules.wfw and winfirewallrulesorig.wfw) in the AirVPN program folder. It uses these to restore the original firewall rules when Network Lock is deactivated. Using v2.9, these files were not created, and if found were deleted, resulting in the loss of my original firewall rules.

As a workaround: after recovering your original firewall rules, using v2.8, activate Network Lock and copy those two .wfw files somewhere SAFE. Install v2.9, and in Preferences-Advanced use the VPN_Up event handler to silently copy (COPY /Y) the two .wfw files into the AirVPN program folder. When you deactivate Network Lock, the firewall rules will be correctly restored. Eddie deletes the .wfw files, hence the need to have them recopied each time after you activate Network Lock. Note that you will have to actually connect to a server for the copying to happen.

Remember, if you do this, any future changes you make to your firewall rules will be lost. If it doesn't work out for you, reinstall v2.8, activate Network Lock, and copy your .wfw backups back into the AirVPN folder. Don't waste time trying out the VPN_Up event handler in v2.8 as it doesn't work.

YMMV

When is this getting to "stable"? I want to use it, but I don't feel like using experimental software atm.

Without being fatuous, the answer is surely 'when it's ready'? The whole point of alpha/beta testing software is to find bugs and fix them before declaring it stable. Until people test it and declare bugs, and these are fixed, it's going to be an unanswerable question. Who knows in advance how many bugs will be found, how complicated they will be to fix, and what might break? If Air replied to say 'next Tuesday' then they'd be either (1) lying or (2) releasing buggy software unworthy of being declared, by definition, stable.

WINDOWS USERS, IMPORTANT: Re-download and re-install the experimental version before using Network Lock.

The newest version shows 2.9.1 in About.

We confirm an issue related to restoring rules in Windows Network Lock.

If anyone has lost his/her rules with the previous version, activation and deactivation of Network Lock will restore them.

Changelog of 2.9.1:
- [bugfix] Windows - Network Lock issue
- [new] Windows - Different tunnel version between XP and Vista and later versions.
- [new] Windows - Tunnel driver version detection and upgrade to latest version.
- [bugfix] OS X - UDP 443 selection in preferences.

Nothing has changed in Linux edition that still remains 2.9.0.

@athelstan:
Two files backup are created in client program folder in previous (We think that it may be better to use that system path to avoid issues with accidental deletion (for example those who use the portable version and delete it when they switch to another version).
But there is a bug, and we have also issues when antivirus program detects a write in system folder as 'suspicious', so we reverted in the latest 2.9.1 version the saving in the program folder.

Kind regards

Network Lock seems to be good now.. However i'm getting "Driver Installation Failed" when it tried to install the Tunnel Driver?  Anyone else experiencing this problem?  Went back to 2.9 and it connects with no problems?

Hello pwolverine,

I am having the same issue as you with "Driver Installation Failed" error. I normally install my AirVPN updates on top of the old version thus performing an update. I also tried doing a clean install by uninstalling AirVPN and the tunnel driver but still had this error. Hopefully Staff can shed some light on this issue. FYI: I am on Windows 8.1.3 Pro 64 bits fully updated and patched... (had to go back to 2.9 also)