Not connected, Your IP: 34.229.239.82
flat4

I need suggestions ASAP

Sadly last night i realize that my free pc that i got and setup pfSense will not do any kind of AES encryption, (should have seen this coming when its just a celeron) so i need suggestions on a cpu/mobo combo that can handle the workload. My internet speed is 10mbits down and 3mbits.

I've out of the hardware game for a long time so i don't know the line that AMD has and intel are also confusing,

I really don't want spend a lot of money so a i7 or i5 is out of the question (unless they are really cheap). I like AMD because they are cheaper but im open to suggestions.

I would like the board to have intel LAN since it work well with pfsense but no necessary. What is necessary is two pci (not pci-e) slots as i have two gigabit intel cards to add.

Any suggestions I would appreciated.

@flat4

Hello!

Try anyway, because a Celeron CPU, even with other routing tasks in pfSense, should be able to encrypt/decrypt a 10 Mbit/s AES-256-CBC cipher data flow, maybe even more.

Kind regards

I find it difficult to recommend any platform for a self-built box because of your requirement of 2 PCI slots / 3x 1Gbit NICs - that rules out small, energy-efficient systems like AMD's AM1 (Jaguar/Kabini) or Intel Bay Trail / ARK Atom.

I do have an alternative idea:
€299 firewall box - explicitly built for OPNSense / pfSense, claiming "~80Mbps (AES256)", 3x 1Gbit ports.

That's probably a bit more than you intended to spend but you have to factor in power consumption. That firewall will only consume 10W. On a self-built box you're looking at anywhere from 25-55W (or more) just for the CPU alone.

all of my content is released under CC-BY-SA 2.0

I find it difficult to recommend any platform for a self-built box because of your requirement of 2 PCI slots / 3x 1Gbit NICs - that rules out small, energy-efficient systems like AMD's AM1 (Jaguar/Kabini) or Intel Bay Trail / ARK Atom.

I do have an alternative idea:

€299 firewall box - explicitly built for OPNSense / pfSense, claiming "~80Mbps (AES256)", 3x 1Gbit ports.

That's probably a bit more than you intended to spend but you have to factor in power consumption. That firewall will only consume 10W. On a self-built box you're looking at anywhere from 25-55W (or more) just for the CPU alone.

I was unclear i guess, i don't need 3 on-board gbit ports, just two pci slots since i have two Intel network cards i will add.

I have vm running opnsense and while it seems like they are going to be producing a quality product at this time i cannot fully implement that branch as production at my home. Heaven forbid that the internet be down at my house.

I had already looked at netgate products but they are pretty pricey and at nearly 600 USD for that appliance I will pass.

I have ram, disk, and tower that is why I asked for suggestions on hardware, since Staff suggested to try on what i have, i will.

I will never have such huge data connection such as some members here so the celeron might work.

Thanks for the suggestion, maybe at a later time i may need this appliance.

I wouldn't worry with 10 Mbit/s. Tbh I think my alarm clock could power openvpn @ 10 Mbit/s lol. If what you have works just use it, I don't think you'll have issues with openvpn speeds. And as sheivoko said recommending anything is difficult when standard pci slots are required.

FWiW:

I have 2 mobos with embeded quad core celeron baytrails @2.0Ghz/2.4Ghz @10W with no AES that easily run pfsense + openvpn + suricata.

Hell after the first pfsense build I was so impressed with the crazy low power usage and decent speed that I built a second machine for dev/coding work using the same motherboard + 8gb of ram + linux. I'm typing from it now and its connected via ssh + openvpn. I also have vlc open playing music and xbmc 'xbox media center' open on another monitor/tv.

However this setup has 2 pci express and one 1 x pci express 2.0 x16 in x1 mode, not pci. But it uses standard or low voltage ddr3 and can run 100% fanless.

This is the mobo -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157513

If you do plan on upgrading it might be worth spending a little cash on intel 1gb pci-E cards. Having a 'green' system using 10 watts or less when idling is really nice. With my setup these two machines payed for themselves in about 4 electric bills lol...

-But my dev box was a i980x with a gtx780. Just turning it on made my power meter do cartwheels and ate up my weekly beer fund.

I wouldn't worry with 10 Mbit/s. Tbh I think my alarm clock could power openvpn @ 10 Mbit/s lol. If what you have works just use it, I don't think you'll have issues with openvpn speeds. And as sheivoko said recommending anything is difficult when standard pci slots are required.

FWiW:

I have 2 mobos with embeded quad core celeron baytrails @2.0Ghz/2.4Ghz @10W with no AES that easily run pfsense + openvpn + suricata.

Hell after the first pfsense build I was so impressed with the crazy low power usage and decent speed that I built a second machine for dev/coding work using the same motherboard + 8gb of ram + linux. I'm typing from it now and its connected via ssh + openvpn. I also have vlc open playing music and xbmc 'xbox media center' open on another monitor/tv.

However this setup has 2 pci express and one 1 x pci express 2.0 x16 in x1 mode, not pci. But it uses standard or low voltage ddr3 and can run 100% fanless.

This is the mobo -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157513

If you do plan on upgrading it might be worth spending a little cash on intel 1gb pci-E cards. Having a 'green' system using 10 watts or less when idling is really nice. With my setup these two machines payed for themselves in about 4 electric bills lol...

-But my dev box was a i980x with a gtx780. Just turning it on made my power meter do cartwheels and ate up my weekly beer fund.

Awesome this is what i been looking for, i been search the bargain bin for a combo like this and eiher they did not have enought ports or they were too pricey.

i will post results, the current setup is not power friendly it was an old server with a 700 wat PS to power a dvd drive one IDE drive and the celeron.

So its eating power like a fat man at ta free buffet.

I actually found this one that will work with two intel gbit cards that i have http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157565

same price

Awesome this is what i been looking for, i been search the bargain bin for a combo like this and eiher they did not have enought ports or they were too pricey.

i will post results, the current setup is not power friendly it was an old server with a 700 wat PS to power a dvd drive one IDE drive and the celeron.

I actually found this one that will work with two intel gbit cards that i have http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157565

same price

Nice! That model wasn't there when I was getting mine.

In pfsense my install was flawless. -installed pfsense from usb -> old as hell sata drive.

If you're going to use your own ram ya might want to check the supported memory list 'at least make sure your timings/voltages are supported'. I haven't heard of any ram issues 'nor had any myself ' but I bought ram that was on the supported list. It was cheap as hell so I figured why not. Supported ram list ->http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Q1900M%20Pro3/index.us.asp?cat=Memory

I got this for the pfsense box - but there is lower voltage stuff supported. I just liked the cas 9. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231393

-semi off topic - has nothing to do with pfsense:

For anyone wanting to use the Q1900M onboard video+xorg and acceleration + debian.  

I had to run debian jessie "has a newer kernel". Wheezy will not work unless you use a custom kernel and go wild with apt pinning. Not worth it imo...

For drivers I only have xserver-xorg-video-intel installed. - There's not much correct info around using the Q1900M + linux. Firgured I would post it. ->I also ripped out systemd shortly after the install.

For pure shits I tossed a gtx 780 in and loaded up warthunder in debian. It actually ran pretty well lol "30-50 fps @ 1920x1200" Not recomended but kinda funny... The gtx is out of the system again as it a power hog.

gl with the build m8 and if you want my parts list just shout.

same price

Nice! That model wasn't there when I was getting mine.

In pfsense my install was flawless. -installed pfsense from usb -> old as hell sata drive.

If you're going to use your own ram ya might want to check the supported memory list 'at least make sure your timings/voltages are supported'. I haven't heard of any ram issues 'nor had any myself ' but I bought ram that was on the supported list. It was cheap as hell so I figured why not. Supported ram list ->http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Q1900M%20Pro3/index.us.asp?cat=Memory

I got this for the pfsense box - but there is lower voltage stuff supported. I just liked the cas 9. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231393

-semi off topic - has nothing to do with pfsense:

For anyone wanting to use the Q1900M onboard video+xorg and acceleration + debian.  

I had to run debian jessie "has a newer kernel". Wheezy will not work unless you use a custom kernel and go wild with apt pinning. Not worth it imo...

For drivers I only have xserver-xorg-video-intel installed. - There's not much correct info around using the Q1900M + linux. Firgured I would post it. ->I also ripped out systemd shortly after the install.

For pure shits I tossed a gtx 780 in and loaded up warthunder in debian. It actually ran pretty well lol "30-50 fps @ 1920x1200" Not recomended but kinda funny... The gtx is out of the system again as it a power hog.

gl with the build m8 and if you want my parts list just shout.

yes, i ponder that as I was checking out and made sure i picked up supported Ram. Not low voltage but it will work.

thanks for the suggestion.

Update, I got all of my stuff in and was really excited to get to work and the worst thing happen. the case I ordered was for a mini-itx and I had a micro-atx.

damn it damn it.

So after I returned and got a proper case i was finally ready to build.  Just thought i share this, make you buy the right parts.