Not connected, Your IP: 3.144.124.232
Sign in to follow this  
dippiers

ISP throttles internet speeds?

Hello,

I have a strange issue.

No matter if I choose UDP/TCP, any ports, my download speed is average 3-5 mb and upload is 10m +

The only time my download is 20mb+ is when I use SSH tunnel on port 22, but then my upload goes down to 2-3m. It's weird.

Does this mean my ISP throttles PARTICULARY airvpn's speeds? When I test another VPN provider, everything is ok. I connect normally on UDP or TCP and the speeds are fine. Are airvpn ip's flagged?
Or do I do something wrong? Is it ok to use SSH?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Dippier

Hello,

it is totally ok to use OpenVPN over SSH, although under normal circumstances (i.e. no traffic shaping) the performance will be lower than direct UDP, because of the overhead caused by a tunnel inside another tunnel and because OpenVPN must work in TCP.

For this very reason, the symptoms you report are quite a proof that your ISP performs traffic shaping. Take note of the differences you have with the other VPN provider, it would be interesting to see why it does not get throttled. It might be because they use a different port, or because they don't use OpenVPN for example.

Test also direct UDP connection to port 53, if you haven't already done so, and feel free to keep us posted.

Kind regards

Dippiers,

If you are on Windows, also try the SSL protocol.  That was the only way I could get download *and* uploads fast.