Not connected, Your IP: 54.196.27.122
mcampbell

Connect to random server (not using client) - how?

How can I connect to a random server NOT using the linux client?

I think I could do it easily by downloading a .ovpn for each candidate server and just randomly pick one to use with "nmcli" (or "sudo openvpn"), but I'd rather not have to download all the ones I want one at a time.  

I guess somewhat related to this; if I generate an .ovpn file with multiple servers selected, which does "nmcli" (and/or the Ubuntu Network Manager) actually pick?  So far it appears it's always going to the same one for me; is there a way, other than config-generating one .ovpn for each file, to have it cycle through them or at least pick one randomly?  (Am I just getting "lucky" that, for example, "america.vpn.airdns.org 443" always picks the same server?)

ryGtrvR.jpg

When generating config files for a region, check the option "All servers for area region" as shown in my screenshot.

Currently, you're connecting to america.vpn.airdns.org which will return the "best" server for that region.

After enabling that option, you'll be connecting to america.airvpn.org  which will return a random one.

Staff has explained the difference in this post:

https://airvpn.org/topic/11022-server-details/?p=15524

You can additionally enable "Resolved hosts in .ovpn file" which will put all the actual IPs in your config file and add the "remote-random" instruction to tell your OpenVPN client / NetworkManager to pick a random one. Pro: You don't need working DNS to get a connection. Con: When AirVPN adds new servers to the region, you would have to get a new config file to make use of them.

all of my content is released under CC-BY-SA 2.0

Thanks.  Looks like the "best" one (since I'm using america.vpn.airdns.org) just so happens to be the same one every time I connect thus far.