Not connected, Your IP: 3.237.178.126
Sign in to follow this  
Guest JWW

Massive speed problem - suddenly

Guest JWW

I'm in the UK and British Telecom is my ISP. I have a fibre connection which, with no VPN, gives me around 75Mbps down and 15 up. Over the last few days things have ground almost to a halt over AirVPN, I've used SSL since the beginning as it became pretty clear that BT were able to throttle normal UDP and TCP VPN connections. That was giving me around 19 - 23 Mbps down which I was happy with. Suddenly, over the last couple of days, I can't improve on 3.5 Mbps down still using SSL (tried SSH as well). Page lag is horrible and it's pretty much unusable. I normally use UK only servers but I've 'unwhitelisted' the UK out of desperation but with no improvement. I'd appreciate some guidance here.

Thanks

I am in the UK with BT fibre also.

I get 73 Mbps download without the VPN and 66 Mbps with the VPN using the UK servers. I have never used SSL, i used SSH from the beginning to avoid potential BT throttling.

Guest JWW

@ Topcat - I'm running the latest version so it's not that...

@ David S - I need to quiz you on that:

1) First off, SSL will also overcome throttling. Both SSL & SSH obscure the OpenVPN header and achieve the same thing. In any case SSH gave me no improvement over SSL when tested yesterday.

2) Which speed test is telling you you're getting 66 Mbps whilst connected through AIR? That kind of speed would be, IMO, unheard of whilst connected over either SSH or SSL and I've never achieved anything like that. Can you check your settings in EDDIE and run a speed test using http://testmy.net/ and report back here?

Thanks

I just tested and got a download of 65.89

Upload of 12.49

Ping Latency of 34.88

All i can say for me personally is that there is very little difference in real life functionality between using and not using the VPN via the Eddie client. 

Guest JWW

@ Staff - I only used the http://testmy.net/ out of sheer frustration with awful lag on page loading. The results simply reflected what I was experiencing. However, today it's massively better. Have there been any server issues / maintenance happening lately?

@ Staff - I only used the http://testmy.net/ out of sheer frustration with awful lag on page loading. The results simply reflected what I was experiencing. However, today it's massively better. Have there been any server issues / maintenance happening lately?

Hello!

No, nothing at all during the last week... maybe it was just a temporary problem of your ISP.

Kind regards

Guest JWW

Hello!

No, nothing at all during the last week... maybe it was just a temporary problem of your ISP.

Kind regards

Well, at the time I had perfect speed and responsiveness after disconnecting EDDIE. I wondered if they had somehow sussed the use of the VPN on my line and tried to throttle it. Is there any way they could (or are likely to be able to) see that whilst connected to an SSL tunnel? I did restart the router a couple of times when I had the problem which of course renews my 'normal' IP and since then I've had no problems. That might be coincidence but I'm wondering nonetheless. I thought my connection was pretty watertight as far as ISP visibility is concerned but maybe not. I do know I have no DNS leaks - at all.

Hi 

Has anyone got a solution to this problem?

I am also on BT Infinity and since end of Jan my speed dropped massively if connected via airvpn to ~19-20Mbps 

still have perfect speed if disconnecting EDDIE.

Guest JWW

Hi 

Has anyone got a solution to this problem?

I am also on BT Infinity and since end of Jan my speed dropped massively if connected via airvpn to ~19-20Mbps 

still have perfect speed if disconnecting EDDIE.

There is no solution, other than terminating your contract with BT and going for an 'independant' ISP that doesn't throttle. I don't generally acheive any better than the speeds you quote. I will be leaving BT at the earliest opportunity but I've yet to research the alternatives fully.