Not connected, Your IP: 34.238.138.162
Staff

Eddie 2.8 available

Hello!

We're very glad to inform you that a new Eddie Air client version has been released: 2.8. Please read the changelog: https://airvpn.org/services/changelog.php?software=client&format=html

2.8 version is compatible with several Linux distributions. For very important notes about environments, please read here: https://airvpn.org/forum/35-client-software-platforms-environments

Eddie 2.8 includes very many bug fixes and changes meeting users' requests and preferences. Upgrade is strongly recommended.

Just like previous version 2.7, it also implements direct Tor support for OpenVPN over Tor connections. Finally, Eddie makes OpenVPN over Tor easily available to Linux and OS X users: no needs for Virtual Machines, middle boxes or other special configurations. Windows users will find a more friendly approach as well. The logic of the connection of OpenVPN over Tor has been completely rewritten. This mode is not handled anymore as a generic connection to a socks proxy, but it is specifically designed for Tor and therefore solves multiple issues, especially in Linux and OS X, including the "infinite routing loop" problem (see for example http://tor.stackexchange.com/questions/1232/me-tor-vpn-how/1235#1235 )

As far as we know, Eddie is the first and currently the only OpenVPN wrapper that natively allows OpenVPN over Tor connections for multiple Operating Systems. https://airvpn.org/tor

We recommend that you upgrade Eddie as soon as possible.

Eddie 2.8 for Linux can be downloaded here: https://airvpn.org/linux

Eddie 2.8 for Windows can be downloaded here: https://airvpn.org/windows

Eddie 2.8 for OS X Mavericks and Yosemite only can be downloaded here: https://airvpn.org/macosx

PLEASE NOTE: Eddie 2.8 package includes an OpenVPN version re-compiled by us with OpenSSL 1.0.1k for security reasons and to fix this bug: https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/ticket/328

Eddie overview is available here: https://airvpn.org/software

Eddie includes a Network Lock feature: https://airvpn.org/faq/software_lock

Eddie 2.8 is free and open source software released under GPLv3

Kind regards & datalove

AirVPN Staff

hi i'm trying to install in ubuntu 64 14.04 but it says its a terminal program in the Sofware center description.When i click the airvpn launcher nothing happens.Am i missing the link for the graphical version.In windows 8.1 its running great

I am also having issues in 64 bit Ubuntu 14.04.  I tried downloading 2.8 to my host desktop and then just doing an upgrade (2.7 ---- > 2.8) from the software center when it came up.  No go.  Then I removed Airvpn completely and tried a fresh install of 2.8.  No go.

I removed Airvpn completely from the host and re-installed 2.7, working like a champ.

For a reference I will paste the terminal contents from 2.8 when it would not fly on my machine;

User and system name xxxx'd out:

xxxxxuserxxxx:~$ sudo airvpn
[sudo] password for xxx:
Missing method SetCompatibleTextRenderingDefault in assembly /usr/lib/AirVPN/AirVPN.exe, type System.Windows.Forms.Application

Unhandled Exception:
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Windows.Forms, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' or one of its dependencies.
File name: 'System.Windows.Forms, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089'
[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Windows.Forms, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' or one of its dependencies.
File name: 'System.Windows.Forms, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089'
xxxxuserxxxx:~$

I am not too concerned because 2.7 is flying smoothly.  Lets wait and see if I am the "lone ranger" or its a small bug to get resolved.  I'll be in and out of here today checking back.  I am in NO hurry.  This is mostly and FYI for the Air team.

hi i'm trying to install in ubuntu 64 14.04 but it says its a terminal program in the Sofware center description.When i click the airvpn launcher nothing happens.Am i missing the link for the graphical version.In windows 8.1 its running great

Hello! I have also run into the same problem, running Ubuntu 14.04 64bit and when clicking on the graphical launcher there is no result.

When attempting to launch from a terminal window the following error is recieved:

Missing method SetCompatibleTextRenderingDefault in assembly /usr/lib/AirVPN/AirVPN.exe, type System.Windows.Forms.Application

Unhandled Exception:

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Windows.Forms, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' or one of its dependencies.

[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Windows.Forms, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' or one of its dependencies.

In the meantime bloodred it may be a good idea to use the OpenVPN plugin for the network manager that is included with Ubuntu until the client is fixed. It probably won't take long, the AirVPN team is usually quick to fix software issues

Hello! I have also run into the same problem, running Ubuntu 14.04 64bit and when clicking on the graphical launcher there is no result.

When attempting to launch from a terminal window the following error is recieved:

>Missing method SetCompatibleTextRenderingDefault in assembly /usr/lib/AirVPN/AirVPN.exe, type System.Windows.Forms.Application

Unhandled Exception:

In the meantime bloodred it may be a good idea to use the OpenVPN plugin for the network manager that is included with Ubuntu until the client is fixed. It probably won't take long, the AirVPN team is usually quick to fix software issues

I just decided to run 2.7 while it gets examined.

As long as its not an error my end thats great.I will use 2.7 as suggested.Thanks Can someone link the 2.7 ubuntu version.Only one available is 2.8 at the moment even from the 2.7 version link

Did you try out the portable version?

I had a similar (?) problem after switching from SUSE 13.1 to 13.2 a while ago. Using the portable version helped. The other version is not working with openSUSE 13.2.

The portable version of Eddie 2.8 seems to be working fine with SUSE and Arch Linux.

Hey don't worry, like I said AirVPN team is always top notch in response time. A broken build isn't a big deal, will test out the new one now

Also I have a question that I have noticed today after using .ovpn files and certificates with the gnome network manager plugin. The connection times using the network manager client is about a quarter of the time when compared to connecting using the client. It takes no more than 6 seconds with network manager where as the client can take 30-45 seconds to connect or disconnect from a server. Not a big deal, but is this something that may be fixable?

Edit: wow the 2.8 client is a real improvement, connection times are way faster. Disregard that last question

Mint 17.1 64-bit here. Eddie 2.8 installed without problems and is looking as solid as 2.7 was and maybe little quicker to connect as mentioned above.

Regular security and bug fix updates are appreciated so thanks AirVPN team!

Hi all,

Also as stated above 2.8 not installing in OpenSUSE 13.2 and Tumbleweed however the portable version is working well

Thanks all involved.

I'm completely unable to connect to any server with 2.8 on yosemite. I get this all the time:

. 2015.01.17 10:30:04 - OpenVPN > RESOLVE: Cannot resolve host address: localhost: nodename nor servname provided, or not known
. 2015.01.17 10:30:04 - OpenVPN > Exiting due to fatal error
! 2015.01.17 10:30:04 - Disconnecting
. 2015.01.17 10:30:04 - Connection terminated.

client stays in and endless loop of connection retries.

2.7 or even the RC3 worked fine on the same machine with the same configuration. any ideas?

Did you try out the portable version?

I had a similar (?) problem after switching from SUSE 13.1 to 13.2 a while ago. Using the portable version helped. The other version is not working with openSUSE 13.2.

The portable version of Eddie 2.8 seems to be working fine with SUSE and Arch Linux.

Hello!

First, if the message Your current backend does not support installing files is displayed, simply try to re-click the .rpm file, it seems an OpenSUSE bug:

https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/502259-Current-Backend-does-not-support

AirVPN installs correctly but doesn't start. There is another bug in another package, called "libgdiplus". Run from terminal:

ln -s /usr/lib64/libgdiplus.so.0 /usr/lib64/libgdiplus.so

to fix it.

We have updated the OpenSUSE topic:

https://airvpn.org/topic/11573-opensuse/

Kind regards

I'm completely unable to connect to any server with 2.8 on yosemite. I get this all the time:

. 2015.01.17 10:30:04 - OpenVPN > RESOLVE: Cannot resolve host address: localhost: nodename nor servname provided, or not known

2.7 or even the RC3 worked fine on the same machine with the same configuration. any ideas?

Hello!

localhost can't be resolved.

Can you please provide us with the output of the following commands (issued from any shell):

dig localhost

file -b /etc/hosts

Kind regards

ln -s /usr/lib64/libgdiplus.so.0 /usr/lib64/libgdiplus.so

That solves my problem! It's working now. Thanks a lot! :-)

Eddie version 2.8 is up and running on OpenSUSE Tumbleweed

Finally I'm off the portable version and connecting thru the installed client.

Thanks for the info and the fix.

There should be no need to uninstall earlier version when upgrading when using the offered packages. The OS handles dependencies like with any other app upgrade.

Hello.

I'm using Linux Mint Debian Edition 64-bit with MATE desktop and I'm using portable version of Eddie (inc. Mono).

Before the 2.8 version I had this issue - most of the times Eddie froze after double-clicking the "airvpn" file just after entering admin password (sometimes it started, sometimes not) - the Eddie window didn't appear - so I had to kill the "airvpn" process as root and re-run it - that is why I was starting Eddie in terminal with "./airvpn" command which was working all the time. But now the 2.8 version freezes even being started from terminal just after entering the admin password. It freezes every 1st attempt after restarting the system. Then I kill the "airvpn" process as root and re-run the client in terminal - the 2nd attempt always works.

I prefer to use portable version of Eddie and I didn't mind to run it from teminal (double-clicking the 'airvpn' file would be more comfortable though), but now with 2.8 version it become a bit harder.

Hello!

localhost can't be resolved.

Can you please provide us with the output of the following commands (issued from any shell):

dig localhost

file -b /etc/hosts

Kind regards

OK, when this happened i wasn't on my home network. back home everything works as usual.

I still don't understand why resolving of the localhost is dependent on the network I'm on? will this be a problem everytime I'm on the road with my portable?

I'm having a problem that I absolutely hate. Whenever I turn on my PC, my network lock is inactive. If I activate it, then close the client, open it again, it's still activated. If I restart the computer, it goes to inactive again. This is a very serious issue if you ask me.

I'm having a problem that I absolutely hate. Whenever I turn on my PC, my network lock is inactive. If I activate it, then close the client, open it again, it's still activated. If I restart the computer, it goes to inactive again. This is a very serious issue if you ask me.

Hello!

It's a feature. Network Lock is meant to be active only while Eddie is running (and of course if it crashes). If you wish Network Lock permanently set:

- activate Network Lock

- copy iptables rules (we're assuming you're running some Linux version)

- shut down Eddie

- make the previously copied iptables rules permanent

Alternatively (for any system) set your firewall rules to block everything while Eddie is NOT running. When you activate Network Lock, you will be able to communicate with VPN servers and local network. When you shut down Eddie, "block everything" rules will be restored and your machine will be again unable to reach any network.

However it might be a good idea to implement a function which mimics Android "seamless tunnel" (in practice a permanent Network Lock), we'll think about it.

Kind regards

Hello!

It's a feature. Network Lock is meant to be active only while Eddie is running (and of course if it crashes). If you wish Network Lock permanently set:

- activate Network Lock

- copy iptables rules (we're assuming you're running some Linux version)

- shut down Eddie

- make the previously copied iptables rules permanent

Alternatively (for any system) set your firewall rules to block everything while Eddie is NOT running. When you activate Network Lock, you will be able to communicate with VPN servers and local network. When you shut down Eddie, "block everything" rules will be restored and your machine will be again unable to reach any network.

However it might be a good idea to implement a function which mimics Android "seamless tunnel" (in practice a permanent Network Lock), we'll think about it.

Kind regards

This is a new "feature", am I correct? Eddie 2.7 behaved differently right?

I don't understand this feature, at all.

If I log in my PC, open AirVPN client, the Netlock Lock will be inactive. Now, the client will automatically connect to a server. If I disconnect from said server, the network lock will still be inactive. What happens if the server goes down for a brief period? Will the client block outside connections?

What happens if one decides to connect to a different server? Will the client block outside connections while the client is making the connection to the different server?

Also, this behaviour is only seen when opening the client for the first time. If I activate the network lock feature, close the client, open it again, the network lock will be active. HOWEVER, if I restart the PC, the Network Lock will be inactive..

EDIT: Just checked if the client would block connections while changing servers (with Network Lock inactive) and it does not. Seriously, I don't understand this supposedly "feature". Please explain it further. Also, is there any security risk in running Eddie 2.7?