Not connected, Your IP: 52.205.159.48
torchfellow

Client showing huge upload speeds

I have been having an issue with the client over the last few days. Sometimes (randomly?) the client will show uploads at around 580-590Mb/s (which shouldn't even be possible on my network as my wireless adapter is 300Mb/s) and I will simultaneously experience connectivity issues - webpages not loading and occasionally disconnections and reconnections to a different server.

I ran Resource Monitor to try to see if it was real or not and it showed that during these spikes openvpn.exe was sending masses of data. I'm assuming it wasn't *actually* sending data as these speeds shouldn't be possible. Is this a glitch/bug in the client? Is there another explanation?

Had this once, fixed it by changing the server.

Tauri is "lagging". Traffic for absolutely no reason!
ipb.pngJan 07 2014 11:00 PM

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

This happens to me.  It used to happen constantly, but now it's just once in awhile and I've no idea why.  Windows 8.1 64 here with Eddie.

Had this once, fixed it by changing the server.

Thanks giganerd. I did think of this but it's been happening on multiple servers. I even got a disconnect in the middle of a spike and it connected me to a different server and it went right on spiking!

This happens to me.  It used to happen constantly, but now it's just once in awhile and I've no idea why.  Windows 8.1 64 here with Eddie.

Thanks aaronosaka. I seem to get it every time I'm connected but it doesn't start until I've been connected a while (45 mins?)

Happens with me too. On different servers. Suddenly I see "Speed upload: 45 MB/s" 

(many times faster than my max upload speed)

Happened to my connections too.

But only when I ran certain programms that were enabled to manage the bandwidth on their own despite the systems settings (e.g. utorrent). I just disabled it and it never came up again ever since.

But only when I ran certain programms that were enabled to manage the bandwidth on their own despite the systems settings (e.g. utorrent). I just disabled it and it never came up again ever since.

Happens to me on a regular basis. I *thought* it happened also when I wasn't running utorrent, etc, but now I am doubting myself. I've closed everything and am now waiting for the next spike.

In the meantime, Rohrschach, how did you "disable it"?

TIA!

Having the same problem with this, I use satellite internet, and have seen AirVPN uploading at 30mbps, rendering my connection inactive. Not happy as it is one thing after another with this VPN. Known connectivity issues with Win10 which I use, and the fix as advised in the forums is reset this and reset that only for the bug to resurface and perpetuate.  Not good, I pay to use this VPN.  How long will this bug remain unfixed, especially if it refers to conflicts with widely used Operating systems ? I will not be renewing my subscription until a fix is found and implemented. Not all PC users are technically minded, what about these poor souls ?

Having the same problem with this, I use satellite internet, and have seen AirVPN uploading at 30mbps, rendering my connection inactive. Not happy as it is one thing after another with this VPN. Known connectivity issues with Win10 which I use, and the fix as advised in the forums is reset this and reset that only for the bug to resurface and perpetuate.  Not good, I pay to use this VPN.  How long will this bug remain unfixed, especially if it refers to conflicts with widely used Operating systems ? I will not be renewing my subscription until a fix is found and implemented. Not all PC users are technically minded, what about these poor souls ?

thread hijack here. ^^^  anyway, these high uploads are not real.  there's no way AirVPN is magically going way over your ISP upload cap.  If Eddie's measurement is real then it's something happening within your computer.  Or, it's possible Eddie makes an error in the speed calculation and it shows up as a very fast upload speed.

Using a VPN has never been intended for technical novices.  If you feel the need to use a VPN then you must be doing something more than playing facebook.   There are other openvpn GUI apps out there that you can use on windows 10 if you want to try them out.

I have the same issue since today, at least on one PC I use. Uploading 10GB in a matter of minutes and blocking my whole internet connection in the meanwhile.

Even worse I only have a monthly cap of 60GB high speed traffic. This is not acceptable. Please fix it.

I have the same issue since today, at least on one PC I use. Uploading 10GB in a matter of minutes and blocking my whole internet connection in the meanwhile.

Possible problem in your local network. As a first attempt try to update your router firmware and your network interface driver. Also check your equipment (including Etherent cable) and, if your device is connected via WiFi, try to get a stronger signal.

AirVPN can't break the laws of nature, so there is no way that you can have an upload bandwidth greater than that provided by your ISP. Your detected upload is internal traffic and the spike is generally an expected consequence of a lost connection to the uplink (we can sometimes reproduce such spikes simply by suddenly turning off a router a VPN client machine is connected to, as expected).

Even worse I only have a monthly cap of 60GB high speed traffic. This is not acceptable. Please fix it.

Was this message meant to your ISP and published in our forums by mistake? If not, cool down: local traffic between your network interface and itself, or between machine and router, is not counted by your ISP, that can't even see it.

Kind regards

Hello!

If you were so inclined, you could try out the experimental Eddie client, to see if it fixes your problem. If you don't know where to find it, you can check my guide in my signature. I don't know if it'll fix that particular issue, but it at least includes bug fixes for bugs in the "stable" version.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

I switched to the latest Beta version of Eddie but the problem still persist. Every other day OpenVPN starts showing up huge uploads and breaks my Wifi connection. I can't even surf the web in the meantime. And even the connection to the server gets dropped or Eddie can't complete the checks (route & DNS)to connect because as soon as OpenVPN starts to connect to a server the upload begins and the Wifi connection is blocked for any normal traffic.

For some reason so far it only happens on my Win10 tablet, on my PC I haven't had the problem so far.

I switched to the latest Beta version of Eddie but the problem still persist. Every other day OpenVPN starts showing up huge uploads and breaks my Wifi connection. I can't even surf the web in the meantime. And even the connection to the server gets dropped or Eddie can't complete the checks (route & DNS)to connect because as soon as OpenVPN starts to connect to a server the upload begins and the Wifi connection is blocked for any normal traffic.

For some reason so far it only happens on my Win10 tablet, on my PC I haven't had the problem so far.

How about some logs?

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

I would just like to state that it is a known issue that the AirVPN team is working on fixing. Please be patient with them as it is not fully their fault. Windows is becoming more broken with each update, not to mention it is structurally insecure, things are ever changing and breaking (not only with AirVPN) with every program. In fact, there is some allegations that Microsoft is purposely ruining Steam support on Windows in an attempt to lure gamers into buying from the Microsoft Store... Anyways, the issue may not be caused by AirVPN at all... I recommend scanning your computer with your anti-virus/anti-malware suite(s) and see if there is anything suspicious, if so, check it out further on VirusTotal. Also, it may be a good idea to use Wireshark (after a fresh reboot, with minimal programs/services running) to see if your computer is communicating with any suspicious IP's. Doing the previous instructions I mentioned will help determine if this is a problem on your end. The reason why I suggest this; botnets are becoming increasingly popular, more so than ever, and one common use for them is launching DDoS attacks. It's theoretically possible that you are infected and are sending DDoS attacks (unknowingly, of course) without knowing.

"I don't see myself as a hero because what I'm doing is self-interested: I don't want to live in a world where there's no privacy and therefore no room for intellectual exploration and creativity." - Edward Snowden

"The Internet is by the people, for the people." - Kim Dotcom

I would just like to state that it is a known issue that the AirVPN team is working on fixing. Please be patient with them as it is not fully their fault. Windows is becoming more broken with each update, not to mention it is structurally insecure, things are ever changing and breaking (not only with AirVPN) with every program. In fact, there is some allegations that Microsoft is purposely ruining Steam support on Windows in an attempt to lure gamers into buying from the Microsoft Store... Anyways, the issue may not be caused by AirVPN at all... I recommend scanning your computer with your anti-virus/anti-malware suite(s) and see if there is anything suspicious, if so, check it out further on VirusTotal. Also, it may be a good idea to use Wireshark (after a fresh reboot, with minimal programs/services running) to see if your computer is communicating with any suspicious IP's. Doing the previous instructions I mentioned will help determine if this is a problem on your end. The reason why I suggest this; botnets are becoming increasingly popular, more so than ever, and one common use for them is launching DDoS attacks. It's theoretically possible that you are infected and are sending DDoS attacks (unknowingly, of course) without knowing.

Thank you for your reply. I know the main problem lies with AirVPN. This program has been unstable since I installed it months ago. I followed all the recommended advice, uninstalled, updated etc etc and still the problem persists. I cannot say that it is Windows that is at  fault as I find that very unlikely as I have used other VPNs on Windows with no problems like the ones I experience with Air.  It is a real shame that no fix has been implemented by Air, or any indication from them that they are working towards one. So most users are still firmly in the dark.  Theories about Windows lurking in the darkness disabling this and blocking that have been circulating since the dawn of PCs and to be honest many companies have and do lay the blame at Windows because it suits them, it misleads consumers and does not address the real problem.  There are no rogue IPs running on my machine, any problems I have are identified as AirVPN. Hopefully they will work towards a solution that maintains itself, and puts a stop to the connection issues.

Happens to me on a regular basis. I *thought* it happened also when I wasn't running utorrent, etc, but now I am doubting myself. I've closed everything and am now waiting for the next spike.

In the meantime, Rohrschach, how did you "disable it"?

TIA!

Has happened many times and I have not had any P2P running. It happens on general surfing, and even when I am not actively using the internet.

I would just like to state that it is a known issue that the AirVPN team is working on fixing.

Hello!

We're sorry but this is NOT an issue and we are NOT trying to resolve something that does not exist. This is has nothing to do with Eddie or with Windows or with any other system, it's simply broadcasting (and other local traffic) which is perfectly normal when a connection with an uplink is null-routed, for example.

Kind regards

That's obvious because it has nothing to do with Eddie. The "huge upload" you cite is detected (and expected in various circumstances) because you first lose connection with the uplink of your system. It's not that you lose connection because you have a "huge upload". You have reversed the cause with the effect.

Kind regards

Thank you for your reply. I know the main problem lies with AirVPN.

We have no idea about how such utter nonsense could become your "knowledge". We just recommend that you read the previous posts before writing anything else. There's nothing to fix on Eddie for the reported behavior. The investigation should focus on why your system loses communications with your router (random examples which are very common: router crashes and reboots; WiFi signal is very low; Ethernet cable has problems; connection to ISP is re-spawned and a new IP address is assigned; computer network interface driver is buggy/outdated).

Kind regards

The problems arise when using AirVPN, once the disconnection happens the wifi signal will at times disappear as though my pc has no wifi adaptor, and until AirVPN reconnects this remains. The state at present is disconnections continue after I have followed all advice here and via Google. I have attached the last log from today in case there is a solution in there.

Thank you for your reply. I know the main problem lies with AirVPN.

We have no idea about how such utter nonsense could become your "knowledge". We just recommend that you read the previous posts before writing anything else. There's nothing to fix on Eddie for the reported behavior. The investigation should focus on why your system loses communications with your router (random examples which are very common: router crashes and reboots; WiFi signal is very low; Ethernet cable has problems; connection to ISP is re-spawned and a new IP address is assigned; computer network interface driver is buggy/outdated).

Kind regards

AirVPN_20161021_142910.txt

The problems arise when using AirVPN, once the disconnection happens the wifi signal will at times disappear as though my pc has no wifi adaptor,

Which was one of the causes we supposed. Please check whether some updated driver for your WiFi adapter is available. Also make sure that your router firmware is up to date. We have seen dozens of cases in which a sustained UDP throughput (which does not normally occur when you don't connect to the VPN) can cause routers crashes and even problems to a network interface in Windows. The fact that you see the WiFi signal disappear and re-appear strongly hints to a router reboot and/or a network interface reset.

You can also try a connection in TCP (you can change connection mode in "AirVPN" > "Preferences" > "Protocols") to avoid UDP completely, but that's a sub-optimal solution because UDP is more efficient (due to how OpenVPN works).

Kind regards

I would just like to state that it is a known issue that the AirVPN team is working on fixing.

Hello!

We're sorry but this is NOT an issue and we are NOT trying to resolve something that does not exist. This is has nothing to do with Eddie or with Windows or with any other system, it's simply broadcasting (and other local traffic) which is perfectly normal when a connection with an uplink is null-routed, for example.

Kind regards

Sorry for my misunderstanding. It seems as if the issue is between OpenVPN and Windows 10 then...? I know there has been myriad of issues between the two. Anyways, I am unaffected as I am using Linux. Just trying to help out!

"I don't see myself as a hero because what I'm doing is self-interested: I don't want to live in a world where there's no privacy and therefore no room for intellectual exploration and creativity." - Edward Snowden

"The Internet is by the people, for the people." - Kim Dotcom

The problems arise when using AirVPN, once the disconnection happens the wifi signal will at times disappear as though my pc has no wifi adaptor,

Which was one of the causes we supposed. Please check whether some updated driver for your WiFi adapter is available. Also make sure that your router firmware is up to date. We have seen dozens of cases in which a sustained UDP throughput (which does not normally occur when you don't connect to the VPN) can cause routers crashes and even problems to a network interface in Windows. The fact that you see the WiFi signal disappear and re-appear strongly hints to a router reboot and/or a network interface reset.

You can also try a connection in TCP (you can change connection mode in "AirVPN" > "Preferences" > "Protocols") to avoid UDP completely, but that's a sub-optimal solution because UDP is more efficient (due to how OpenVPN works).

Thank you for a detailed reply - it's been very frustrating to hear that what I am clearly experiencing is not happening! This does ring true, and gives me a new avenue of attacking the problem.

Incidentally, as an update to my earlier post, the problem ONLY occurs when I have BOTH uTorrent and VPN running, never when it's just one or the other, so it is very likely a UDP overload.