Not connected, Your IP: 3.145.36.10
psikey

QNAP 4.1.2 & AirNPN config

Hello, been using AirVPN for a few years now mostly using the Windows/Android Clients but have also configured a DD-WRT router in the past.

Been waiting for a while for QNAP to add OpenVPN client support and they have just included it in the latest beta update  (they have had OpenVPN Server support for a while).

Need a bit of guidance with the config. as my initial attempts have failed.

When you add a new connection on the QNAP the following dialogue needs populating. I tried to setup for UK Nunki as a test:

Profile Name:   AirVPN UK

Server Address: 78.129.153.40

Server Port:  UDP  443    (default on QNAP is UDP 1194)

Username:  my username

Password:  my password

Encryption: left at default of Medium (AES 128)      other options are none or AES 256

Certificate: Assume it is the ca.crt  (not user.crt ??)

And tick boxes  (all below left as default) 

PS. I actually only use a EE 4G router, but don't have issue connecting to AirVPN via the Windows/Android clients over this network  (only mention as I've read EE don't assign public facing IP)

Enable compressed VPN link    -  Not ticked

Use default gateway on remote network   -   Ticked

Allow other network devices to connect to Internet through NAS   -   Not ticked

Reconnect when VPN connection lost   -  Ticked

Appreciate any help.

Username:  my username

Password:  my password

Encryption: left at default of Medium (AES 128)      other options are none or AES 256

Certificate: Assume it is the ca.crt  (not user.crt ??)

Encryption of data channel is AES-256-CBC.

Also, I'm not sure about the username/password thing. Somewhere around here I read that using clients other than the official AirVPN client requires certificates.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Hello!

Either with our client, with any other OpenVPN wrapper, or with OpenVPN itself, the authentication method is always the same. It is based on a ta.key (used for TLS pre-auth, this is just to add some security and protection to our servers), double-certificate (ca.crt and user.crt, respectively server/CA and client certificate) and of course the client secret key user.key.

By default the .ovpn configuration file generated by the Configuration Generator is embedded with keys and certificates. You can force the CG to generate split files by ticking "Advanced Mode" and "Separate certs/keys from .ovpn files".

Kind regards

Thanks for the feedback.

Looks like I can't configure with QNAP yet based on reply I had on support forum after they looked at an AirVPN config file:

"This set-up does provide certificate (and private key) as part of the config., plus a TLS-AUTH key replacing username and password: This kind of configuration can't be deployed (read: configured accordingly) to the QNAP OpenVPN client. Will file a feature request to support these all-in-one OpenVPN config files."

Any other solution/work-around or just have to wait for QNAP to use .ovpn files ?

Any other solution/work-around or just have to wait for QNAP to use .ovpn files ?

Dude, try following the instructions from this post. Seemed to work for me.

http://forum.goldenfrog.com/t/how-to-get-vpn-service-working-on-qnap-nas-units/446

I didnt create any files or copy/paste anything he asks you to do though. I simply installed the OpenVPN services via IPKG, then dropped the .ovpn file generated from AirVpn into the correct folder. Then started the OpenVPN client. Seemed to work first time. I got the log output in the terminal. I checked the public IP of the NAS to make sure it was connected to the VPN with commands from this page:

http://www.yourownlinux.com/2014/01/how-to-determine-your-public-ip-address-from-linux-terminal.html

Im going to fire up the Transmission Daemon now and load a whatismytorrentip into the queue to see what it reports to double check.

Edit. Yep, transmission is correctly reporting the VPN exit IP. Result!

Purchased mediaDroid85 about 2 months ago... it was working fine until last night... tried rebooting several times and finally screen displays "Load config file". Any solutions for this?

Instructions below are from QNAP VPN tutorial (note use ca.crt); however I still haven't been able to get the client to connect to AirVPN.

Enter the connection configuration settings, including the profile name, server address (that you want to connect to), and the username and password of the VPN server. Choose the same configuration as the OpenVPN server in "Server Port". Click "Certification" to import the certificate (ca.crt) exported from the OpenVPN server. Tick the following checkboxes depending on your configurations:

Enable compressed VPN link: This will compress data before transferring via VPN.

Use the default gateway on remote network: This will allow all packets to be transferred via the VPN server.

Allow other network devices to connect to the VPN through the NAS: This will allow network devices on the same LAN as the NAS to connect to the same VPN.

Reconnect when the VPN connection is lost: This will automatically reconnect to the VPN server when the connection is lost.

Hi - read thru this post on the QNAP forum. I've used it to get AirVPN working on my QNAP. I am running the latest QNAP sw. The details are on page 1 of the post. Follow these to the letter and it should work for you. Pay particular attention to the file access privileges as if these are wrong it won't work.

Happy to help further if I can.

http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=231&t=102248&hilit=vpn+client

...an additional note - you will need to go to page 2 (near the end) where there is a specific description of what to do for AirVPN setup using the .opvn created on this website.

Best.

Hi,

Trying to setup the AirVPN on my QNAP. I have been able to generate the config and downloaded the ca.crt separate. 

What do i need to fill in at serveradres?

Serveradres: ?

Serverport: i assume it is: UDP 443? 

Username: Username that I use here to login?

Password: Password that I use here to login?

Encryption: AES256

Certificate: ca.crt

Hope someone can help me out here.

Kind Regards,