Not connected, Your IP: 3.236.81.4
stupidcats

What's your e-mail provider?

I have been using hotmail and gmail. I'm also a new VPN user (only a couple of days)

But I'm thinking these e-mail services may be useless with VPN; as when a change occurs for what they perceive as my location (because my VPN location changes) they flag it as unusual activity and want codes sent to verify I'm the one using it. And as I use pop3 or imap to access the services I don't see these warnings until after they have locked my accounts and I try to login via the web interface. I originally came into the forum to ask about alternative e-mail providers and I found this thread so thanks for all the provider lists here :-)

I have also loaded AirVPN onto my NAS which has mail server software so I was thinking about using that for the majority of my e-mail.

Hello!

I don't think it has been mentioned, so I thought it would be relevant to point out that AirVPN doesn't require the use of a valid e-mail account in order to sign up.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

This is a baffling decision from our authorities in Germany. Still, don't run off in panic just now. They've got some time to figure out a solution and during this they will continue as usual.

But even then it won't be a big deal, in part because Posteo is transparent on this kind of stuff via blogposts and regular transparency reports. While this presents the potential for abuse, Posteo regularly rejects most of the requests for information due to them being unlawful, wrongly formatted or other reasons. The ones that go through usually include incidents that are deemed immoral in our modern society's understanding, such as CP, drug trade and illegal possession of arms.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

But even then it won't be a big deal, in part because Posteo is transparent on this kind of stuff via blogposts and regular transparency reports. While this presents the potential for abuse, Posteo regularly rejects most of the requests for information due to them being unlawful, wrongly formatted or other reasons. The ones that go through usually include incidents that are deemed immoral in our modern society's understanding, such as CP, drug trade and illegal possession of arms.

That Posteo's executives fought the request by LE through at least two full court proceedings is exactly why I'm a loyal Posteo customer.  While concerning news, I've no intention of moving to another provider unless it becomes clear that Posteo will no longer be permitted to guarantee the privacy of its users as a German company.  I'll hope for the best though, since the outcome impacts not just Posteo but all private email providers in Germany (whether those other providers choose to acknowledge this or not).

PS: Looking back through this thread, I realize now that it was you (giganerd) who first turned me onto Posteo.  Thank you for that!

I tried protonmail. They made me click for 5 minutes on Google CAPTCHA images - traffic lights, cars, buses, puppies, kittens

I recommend Tutanota

On 3/5/2019 at 7:59 AM, fittlana said:

I tried protonmail. They made me click for 5 minutes on Google CAPTCHA images - traffic lights, cars, buses, puppies, kittens

I recommend Tutanota

Actually captcha is the checkbox "I am not a robot".   The ones with images are paid crowd-slavery research for developing AI.

On 6/11/2017 at 7:02 AM, cwtokyo said:

Posteo can use PGP.
The reasons that I chose posteo are the point that PGP can use it and a proper value.

I don't understand the reason that the people who choose AirVPN stick to Gmail.

Because if I am sending a recipe to a family member, I don't need privacy.

Most of the things that Google does are bad collectively for the human race, they have no specific bad effects for individuals.  I use AirVPN to prevent an individual bad event for me, e.g. someone stealing passwords or financial information over hotel wifi, etc.

I'm currenty researching a replacement for my regular gmx and gmail.  I'm happy to pay for an account when I figure out who to go with.

Recently I had need of some extra security and signed up for an account with ctemplar.com, they're fairly new, based in Iceland.  I think they might have had some crowd funding to get started, I'm not sure though.  On their site, in its blog page there is an interesting email provider comparison chart.  I hope they prove reliable and last long term.

I've been away from the secrurity forums and topics so I'm out of touch with whats been happening lately.  Anyone else come across them? 

World Leading Icelandic Privacy Laws
We feel Iceland is the best location for users privacy and data storage. This is because Iceland designed it’s privacy laws to protect journalists and whistleblowers like Edward Snowden.

Just because they once hosted WikiLeaks does not mean they're cool, as Mr. zhang888 once said. Check this post of him.

3 hours ago, manyana said:

On their site, in its blog page there is an interesting email provider comparison chart

If they don't mention Posteo, StartMail or Mailbox.de, that chart doesn't say it all unfortunately. Those three providers proved to be reliant in the past.
Also, notice how the providers are carefully chosen to compare CTemplar with more green, and humble "in progress" things among them which would easily translate to outright NOs right now ;)

4 hours ago, Flx said:

Really...Define "they"?

I think the user means Posteo, and by extension, anyone else wishing to look into a mailbox through them. It's encrypted with your account password + salt, if you enable that feature.

On 6/16/2019 at 1:06 PM, manyana said:

I'm currenty researching a replacement for my regular gmx and gmail.  I'm happy to pay for an account when I figure out who to go with.

Recently I had need of some extra security and signed up for an account with ctemplar.com, they're fairly new, based in Iceland.  I think they might have had some crowd funding to get started, I'm not sure though.  On their site, in its blog page there is an interesting email provider comparison chart.  I hope they prove reliable and last long term.

I've been away from the secrurity forums and topics so I'm out of touch with whats been happening lately.  Anyone else come across them? 

Look into ProtonMail. 

I have been using their email service for a few years now, and have never had any problems. 

They also have a very good blog I read sometimes etc

On 3/5/2019 at 10:59 AM, fittlana said:

I recommend Tutanota

I have never had this happen to me. Ever.

I wonder why this happened to you? Seems very strange.

+1 for Tutanota, they also have an encrypted calendar. One thing not ideal with them though: you can only create up to 5 aliases and never delete them (despite paying 12€ a year for it)