Not connected, Your IP: 44.204.34.64
stupidcats

What's your e-mail provider?

Not sure if relevant.

Posteo uses browser fingerprinting. Tutanota, Proton, Fastmail, etc do not. Browser fingerprinting is used to track people over multiple domains unnoticed and underneath the radar of adblockers.

Posteo uses browser fingerprinting. Tutanota, Proton, Fastmail, etc do not.

Proof? Resources?

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Used Posteo for few weeks and was very satisfied. Stopped subscription when I decided to run own domain which they didn't allowed.

Now I use Runbox (Norvegian) - 30eur/year and I had no problems with it, also very satisfied.

Startmail for online purchasing, banking, and similar business related stuff.

Opened a new account last week with Protonmail for personal email correspondence with family and friends. Ending a 2 year subscription next month with Countermail. Not because I don't have confidence in their privacy and security, but it's a real PITA to use.

Occasionally use Tutanota.

I came to the decision over a year ago that it's insane for anyone in the U.S who takes online privacy and security seriously to use ANY service based in the U.S. Unless something changes I plan to use Air as my VPN service from now on. Same thing with Startmail, Protonmail, and Tutanota.

(I've seen it mentioned in a few postings on this topic about the price of Startmail. My first year subscription was coming due for renewal later this week and I got an offer for a discount of $12.50 for renewing one week early, which I did. But even aside from the discount, considering you get 10GB of storage, I think Startmail's rate is a pretty good deal. In comparison, you pay $48/1 year for Protonmail's mid-level subscription and 5GB of storage.)

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. —George Orwell

The further society drifts from truth the more it hates those who speak it. —George Orwell

A lie is as good as the truth when everyone believes.

No one ever lost a dime underestimating the intelligence of the amerikan public. {Generally attributed to H.L. Mencken}

THANK YOU: Russia Today; Edward Snowden; Julian Assange; John Kiriakou; Thomas Drake; William Binney; Ray McGovern; Kirk Wiebe; Matt Taibbi; Sputnik News

Merely curious, but anyone out there have any opinions about this email service?

https://runbox.com/

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. —George Orwell

The further society drifts from truth the more it hates those who speak it. —George Orwell

No one ever lost a dime underestimating the intelligence of the amerikan public. {Generally attributed to H.L. Mencken}

THANK YOU: Russia Today; Edward Snowden; Julian Assange; John Kiriakou; Thomas Drake; William Binney; Ray McGovern; Kirk Wiebe; Matt Taibbi; Sputnik News

Merely curious, but anyone out there have any opinions about this email service?

Well, they are not bad but... they seem to take a very long time to make things work, for example about 2FA they are in it for more than 1 year to finish!!, and not yet... They promote about privacy and Norway laws but you know... They also had problems with spam filters before, I don't know now. On the other side they are a small company/team but they answer fast when you contact for support. You can also contact them in emaildiscussions.com

I finished my subscription with them some time ago.

I know this article is almost 3 years old now, but any thoughts/opinions? My own humble take on it is the author could be a surveillance rat or at the very least a blanket shill to steer the uninformed & gullible to use Amerikan based email services. He uses a fair amount of weasel language in the article.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/12/switzerland-wont-save-you-either-why-e-mail-might-still-be-safer-in-us/

Runbox looks decent to me but they do not offer PGP encryption on incoming e-mails which is a requirement in my book for privacy concerned e-mail providers.

I've been looking at a lot of e-mail services including ones linked here. And personally I think they are all useless, they can say that they encrypt the e-mails and do not read them and what not... but to me that is useless since essentially you put it in their hands and if someone somehow managed to get your password for the e-mail they can read them anyway, which is why I'd only consider somewhere with PGP encryption on ALL incoming messages where it doesn't matter if your sender uses PGP or if you get an e-mail from a service like a verification code which then also gets encrypted that way without your private key nobody can ever read your e-mails even if they were to gain access to your e-mail account. So far I've only seen mailbox.org and posteo.de offer this, which is rather sad I gotta say.

Embers-- What about Protonmail's feature of a second password to decrypt your email? Perhaps it's not at the same level as automatic PGP on incoming mail, but it's still a pretty nifty feature. I personally like Countermail having a physical USB encryption key as an option to make your account more secure. I never went with the USB key option during the 2 years I've been with them, but it doesn't matter now anyway. I'm ending my subscription with them in a few weeks because it's a pain in the butt to use. You have to log in to your account through their Java applet and if you don't keep Java up to date on your desktop then you can't sign in. I decided that Protonmail was less complicated and still secure enough for my purposes, along with being a better overall value over Countermail.

Embers-- What about Protonmail's feature of a second password to decrypt your email? Perhaps it's not at the same level as automatic PGP on incoming mail, but it's still a pretty nifty feature. I personally like Countermail having a physical USB encryption key as an option to make your account more secure. I never went with the USB key option during the 2 years I've been with them, but it doesn't matter now anyway. I'm ending my subscription with them in a few weeks because it's a pain in the butt to use. You have to log in to your account through their Java applet and if you don't keep Java up to date on your desktop then you can't sign in. I decided that Protonmail was less complicated and still secure enough for my purposes, along with being a better overall value over Countermail.

A second password is still handled on their end, the point of PGP is to have it handled on your end so that you control it in essence not them, all they do is encrypt the e-mails for you and store them and receive them.

not to mention their 5 aliases only limit unless you wanna shell out 24€ a month.

Update for Lavabit:

Ladar Levison, founder of mail provider Lavabit, decided to relaunch his email service, using a new system called Dark Internet Mail Environment (DIME), an encryption standard, and Magma, a FLOSS mail server. More info on them is available on the homepage, lavabit.com.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

CSETmail.com

Never heard of them until a week ago when I did a search online. A few users had given very high praise and the service does appear to have some impressive features. I went to the website to contact them and ask some questions and got a reply about a day and a half later. However... in using their website contact form I was *required* to give a first and last name, an email address (understandable), AND a phone number. If you don't provide that info you can't send the contact form. I wasn't happy about this so I gave a fake name and phone number. Anyway, the following is the verbatim response they sent.

Hello, We are a Canadian based company from Vancouver, British Columbia. Our servers are located in the British Virgin Islands. There are several layers of deep Encryption and TLS Encryption as well as DKIM, MX, SPF, to name a few.

We offer 1 GB of space. There will be an option to add GB in the future. We are currently implementing the white label ability and alias's. It should be complete in the next 2 weeks.

This is the limited info I am able to release at this time.

I can tell you whatever is deleted from the sender or receiver side is permanently erased from our servers.

Hope this helps,

CSETadmin

No mention if Bitcoin was accepted or if you could sign up anonymously (though I admit I didn't think to ask about either). https://www.csetmail.com/ It would be interesting to get thoughts/opinions on this service.

The only British virgin I can find is probably the people behind this service, without any mention of Islands of any kind.

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;csetmail.com.            IN    MX

;; ANSWER SECTION:
csetmail.com.        3600    IN    MX    20 mail2.csetmail.com.
csetmail.com.        3600    IN    MX    5 mail.csetmail.com.
csetmail.com.        3600    IN    MX    10 mail-alt.csetmail.com.

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
csetmail.com.        3600    IN    NS    ns06.domaincontrol.com.
csetmail.com.        3600    IN    NS    ns05.domaincontrol.com.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
mail2.csetmail.com.    3600    IN    A    66.228.57.16
mail.csetmail.com.    600    IN    A    66.228.57.16
mail-alt.csetmail.com.    3600    IN    A    45.56.76.87

Linode.com VPS in 2 US locations. They need to stop with those tricks.

Special bonus points:

"Once enabled, in the event an email recipient attempts to print your message, the content will be completely obscured preventing hard copies of the message being created"

"The sender can control whether or not the recipient of the email can copy the content into a different email or document"

"The sender of the email can control whether or not the recipient can forward the email to a 3rd party"

We need to crowdfund them the "SMTP for dummies" book.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

Gmail for all official things (banking, shopping, etc) but with multiple accounts (one for shopping, one for banking etc.) not really because of privacy (gone anyhow) but for security. Gmail is bad for privacy but security wise (with very strong random password and TFA) I still think they are one of the best. I have used yandex mail for a while but after Putin signed the yarovaya law in July 2016 I stopped using that service. Too bad because yandex GUI is great. The only downside is that many emails coming from yandex are flagged like spam by other services.

​Tutanota...used for a while but their GUI sucks also try to search for an old email....good luck. Protonmail is much better but I have an account just for twitter.

I moved over to using the email option included with my web-site hosting company's subscription (Linux box).  I love the option of making tonnes of forwarders (alias emails) and drop them as SPAM-Assassin reveals who shared/sold the forwarded email address.

Maybe one day I'll setup my own email server, but for now I'm happy that the hosted option keeps my email off the "big cloud email service" names.  I was also happy that my hosting provider hosts in my country, so I feel I don't have to worry about laws/acts in "other countries" allowing those governments access to my data if I were hosted there, or using one of the "big cloud email service" names also hosted there.

Although I'm sure using emails linked to my domain name leaves a definite trail to me.

I have email and my own domain with a British company called Xilo. I also have a Gmail account that I use for online shopping etc. Basically anything that risks attracting spam.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Proton Mail

Switzerland / CH    ​https://protonmail.com/

​End-to-End Encryption

All Messages are encrypted at all times

Messages are stored on ProtonMail servers in encrypted format. They are also transmitted in encrypted format between our servers and user devices. Messages between ProtonMail users are also transmitted in encrypted form within our secure server network. Because data is encrypted at all steps, the risk of message interception is largely eliminated.

Zero Access to User Data

On The Website One Can Read & Review Much, Much, More Information https://protonmail.com/

Regards,
M.Virgil Stone Sends...

I mainly use Gmail, it's just so convenient. I have started to transition towards Protonmail lately, but it's more of a "statement" than anything else to be honest. I don't know about you guys, but I don't actually write emails to people anymore, so for me things like "secure messengers" and calls are much more important than email encryption. Sure, it's fun to play James Bond, encrypt text messages and hide them in image files or whatever. But the emails I write these days are like 99% complaints or questions aimed at various customer service departments, so it wouldn't really make sense going through all that regardless. Then of course there's other risks with having your email account hijacked as well, identity theft and so on, but then the security issues comes down to things like 2FA, password and online habits in general, not just which email service provider you use. So yeah, Gmail and Proton for me.

And sure, my choices are based on the fact that I don't do anything that my government considers illegal. At least not to an extent that "getting caught" would cause me any serious harm I'm not prepared to deal with. I obviously understand that everyone in this world doesn't have the same luxury and are forced to rely on safer options. But I basically take all of my online and digital security measures for the same reasons I lock my front door when I leave home, so random people can't just walk in and loot my stuff without even breaking a sweat. I mean, if really determined criminals, police or what not wanted to get in, they'd just blow a hole through the wall or force me to unlock it any way.

On the recommendation of giganerd, I recently purchased a subscription with Posteo.de. I like the layout and the green theme (gray is available as an alternate) with 2GB of storage, which is more than plenty for my purposes. It's seems like a great email service for an unbeatable price. Having praised it so highly, I probably won't renew when the 1 year subscription expires because I prefer Protonmail. Yes, Protonmail certainly costs a good bit more, but I think it has better, more sophisticated security features. But if you need a good email service at a budget price, you really can't go wrong with Posteo.