Not connected, Your IP: 44.200.196.114
stupidcats

What's your e-mail provider?

A few days later I received a message from them in which they asked me some interesting questions which got me thinking. Did you read this and that? Do you agree with our mission?

Well, I could just say Yes, sure. The truth is, I was feeling like they would have control over my account if I happen to do things which are not compliant with their mission. I couldn't afford losing another email account without warning (the first one, Lavabit, caused confusion and a mess). So I read on, saw Riseup, registered. Then Posteo came, well, you know the story.

Well, that's what "Terms of Service" means. Keep to these guidelines, or we'll disable your account. Riseup even has pretty much the same ones; except apparently they don't follow up on it in the same way.

I wouldn't want to use a service under those terms either, so I've never used Autistici or Riseup, but it's great that they exist.

And, please, if you are going to try and dominate every topic on the forums, at least edit your signature. The same thirteen lines, repeated in every other post - you're breaking my Page Down key.

"Dominate every topic on the forums?" Really?

Wow.

For work I use my whitehouse.gov account... just kidding...LOL

gmail - I need to have a gmail account.

A few of my own domains but couldn't afford placing the machines in data centers that I'd trust. Those who spoke/supported English were out of my price-range. I have one setup for Project honeypot.
I find many of our shared AirVPN IP addresses there but just connect to another server and have no problems.

I tried autistici but found some e-mail were being rejected because the domain is/was blacklisted which made it useless or unproductive at the very least.

I agree with SlyFox startmail looked good but is overpriced.

Trying proton.

I haven't been checking our Forum here in quite some time but always appreciated how intelligent our community is. However, I'm a little disspointed with the bickering. I generally do not subscribe to forums because there is too much drama. Hopefully, we can simply stay on topic. Staff does not police us so there is always the potential that personalities will flare up. I find it easier to just "let it go" if/when my feelings are hurt or someone pisses me off.

Thanks a lot for the input. I'll check out a few that were mentioned here.

Using ProtonMail and custom domain with Runbox/PGP with a local (hosted at home) fully encrypted OwnCloud server for calDav, cardDav and 4TB of redundant file storage using my own CA/SSL on all family portables, pcs etc. Google apps is enabled ONLY for Play store purchases.

Stay away from email/vpn providers utilizing StartCom SSL certs.

Don't panic people. Proof your claims. Why?

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Don't panic people. Proof your claims. Why?

Google is no longer your friend but you can use it to search for an extended set of results ... history of breaches, their need to know, and verify, exactly where your physical location is, weak crypto - still using SHA-1, shady management with no information about themselves, their practices, security readiness, reassurances/insurance etc. in a country known to have 'extremely close' relationships with the US SS and MIL depts.. No thank you.

Well, you have a point.

June 15, 2011 breach

One more article about it

Customer pointing out the ridiculousness of StartCom's validation process

But again: Please inform us yourself with links. You are the one making the claims, don't force everyone of us to search.

Does anyone have any experience with MyKolab? Its hosted in Switzerland and has some good reviews from privacy organizations. If you are looking at only email and not other services from them it's pretty cheap. They are also found on this list: http://prxbx.com/email/

I've heard good things about SecureNym, but have no personal experience with them.  They are more expensive than others offering similar services (working out to $5/month), but it might worth it for your requirements. If you sign up using their process and only ever login to the account with Tails & send/receive PGP encrypted email, this would seem to me to be as airtight as you could reasonably expect for the money.

Personally, I like having a proper shell account and some webspace to mess about with, and my security requirements are not (nearly) so critical.  I just want a provider that can be trusted not to pawn off or trawl my personal data, or just hand over users' data to law enforcement without a fight.  So I've been a Panix user off and on for years.

Just a small update regarding Posteo.

In the very near future you will be able to encrypt your whole mail account - with your own PGP key. One more important reason for you all to change the provider.

Just a small update regarding Posteo.

In the very near future you will be able to encrypt your whole mail account - with your own PGP key. One more important reason for you all to change the provider.

Any news on being able to use your own domain name with posteo yet?

Any news on being able to use your own domain name with posteo yet?

FAQ entry:

Can I use Posteo with my own domains?

No, this is not possible. We certainly understand that having your own domain is very important in the commercial industries. But a domain needs to be registered to the name and address of an individual. If we offered this, we would need to save the registration details of everyone who uses their own domain with Posteo and to provide these to the Federal Network Agency to be provided on request to the authorities.

This would still be the case even if only the MX record pointed to us. We have therefore decided not to offer this possibility and instead to use data economy. It is, however, possible to add various other email addresses with external domains as senders in the webmail interface and thereby to send emails with Posteo using external domains. In order to be able to read replies to these messages, you need to set up forwarding to Posteo for the external address.

Thanks for mentioning Posteo. I decided to give them a spin recently, and they seem like the real deal.  Their English customer support is fast and quite good.  Subscription is inexpensive, too, and they seem to take pains to disassociate payment with the account being paid for.  A lot to like!

Posteo. German company, full english support. 1€ a month.

I would also like to thank you for the posteo suggestion. I have just signed up with them and they seem really good. I will probably make them my main email provider using the alias system.

if you care about your privacy you need to shift out of the "how much space they GIVE you" mindset.

Good point, but before I switch over to anyone whether free or paid. I like to know what they offer besides privacy. Which in my case since I use Gmail I don't have any of that. That's why I'm here and looking at the suggestions that are posted

I've used protonmail for secured encrypted mail. I use posteo for anonymised (no DNS, pay by cash/anonymous Bitcoin) and use fast mail for general stuff. All of them fit a niche with their own drawbacks, they can all be tried cheaply and it's worth doing to understand how they fit with your own work flow and privacy requirements.

I think there's an opening for Airvpn to offer a mail service too.

Just started using Posteo (1 Euro a month). Was between Posteo and Startmail (49.95 a year). Was going to use Proton Mail but it has been in Beta for too long.

You really cannot argue with the 1 Euro a month.

Also use MaskMe to create "fake" emails which then get forwarded to my real email address.

If it was not for MaskMe would have opted for Startmail due to it giving 10 email aliases (Posteo gives 2 but more can be bought) and Startmail gives unlimited disposible emails which can last for up to two weeks, can send emails from them and reply etc. Startmail is good/easy for encrypted mail also. For what I need Posteo is great.

​Anyway thanks for the recommedation Giganerd.

Gmail user switching to Tutanota (work in progress) for my primary email. I hope to move 100% within a few months, as soon as Tutanota launches some more features, like a calendar.

Openmailbox.org for other stuff. 

I wish Lavabit was still around

http://lavabit.com/

I use some of the ones previously mentioned,Posteo looks worth it and the pricing is by far reasonable

some other providers worth looking into are

https://countermail.com/

https://kolabnow.com/

https://bitmessage.ch/

Bitmessage client,uTox or TorChat are by far better thus relying on no server or 3rd party.

http://bitmailendavkbec.onion/

http://torbox3uiot6wchz.onion/