Not connected, Your IP: 54.83.176.101
stupidcats

What's your e-mail provider?

hotmail+gmail

Posted ... (edited)

Posteo. German company, full english support. 1€ a month.

Useful additional features are:

• encrypted contacts and calendar with CardDAV/CalDAV support. Three calendars included, +0.10€ for every additional calendar.
  • aliases. Different addresses linked to one but from the outside they appear to be multiple accounts. Two included, +0.10€ for every additional identity.
  • .. and more

Backup inbox @Riseup. Created a few months before I heard of Posteo. Never really used that since Posteo oversatisfied me and still does.

And of course a couple of Google Mail inboxes since I'm an Android user.

Edited ... by giganerd

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Posteo. German only. Limited english capabilities, in terms of both UI language and support. 1€ a month.

Is not German only.Because i signed up also.Actually for more than a year now.

I agree,its all your need.

If you try to keep your privacy,i think you have to go away from the free mail boxes... .

Posteo. German only. Limited english capabilities, in terms of both UI language and support. 1€ a month.

Is not German only.Because i signed up also.Actually for more than a year now.

I agree,its all your need.

If you try to keep your privacy,i think you have to go away from the free mail boxes... .

Just checked, their new webmail UI came with support for many other languages, and english is fully supported. That's good to know, thanks for the hint 8)

I also use Posteo it's excellent. Also have a couple older outlook mails.

StartMail just launched not long ago I was waiting for them for a while. They are owned by StartPage and Ixquick. Supposed to be geared toward privacy. I had hoped for a free or less expensive version but $59 a year is a bit pricy for email imo.

Hotmail, GMX, as well as various personal domain name emails hosted on gandi.net servers.

Changed everything up earlier this year to get away from google as much as possible. I'm always open to new suggestions, especially affordable services. Posteo sounds like it would be worth looking into as I am definitely willing to pay 12€/month for a secure email service I don't have to worry about hosting on my own.

Hotmail, GMX, as well as various personal domain name emails hosted on gandi.net servers.Changed everything up earlier this year to get away from google as much as possible. I'm always open to new suggestions, especially affordable services. Posteo sounds like it would be worth looking into as I am definitely willing to pay 12€/month for a secure email service I don't have to worry about hosting on my own.

12€ a month?

(Sent via Tapatalk 4)

Great thread, I was just looking at options for email myself.

If anyone wants more options, check out EmailDiscussions.com - it's a forum dedicated to email, and people from some of the smaller services actually participate there.

I've been leaning towards Runbox myself, but I'm not sure. Hosted in Norway with a decent privacy policy, and all the features I want. On the other hand, their terms of service prohibit "vulgar" and "obscene" content, which just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Yes, I do understand that it's typical cover-our-ass language and probably a standard legal phrase that every lawyer puts in there (many services have similar clauses), but not paying attention to the exact wording they put in their documents shows that maybe they don't really get it.

No, Posteo is not an option for me.

Just came across SIGAINT. Tor based email for the even more paranoid, might be interesting for some people here. Not something I've tried, but it seems interesting.

http://sigaintevyh2rzvw.onion/

Free webmail (Squirrel Mail), 50MB

or

$25 one time payment (Bitcoin/Litecoin only) for POP/IMAP/SMTP and 1GB storage.

No, probably not the first choice for a primary, "general use" email service.

Question is, do you really want the operators of an email service to be anonymous? Can you trust that the service will be there tomorrow?

On the other hand, end-to-end encryption solves most problems; you get a persistent identity via signing and even an evil service operator can't spy on the contents of mail you send.

Posteo is not an option for me.

On their website they are talking about using "green energy".

But most  of the time when people talk about "green energy", they really mean wind energy, which isn't green at all since:

a. It's killing birds,

b. Damaging people's health with infrasound

c. Completely ineffective

d. Trees and other plants are being destroyed in the process of building such power plants

e. And they look completely ugly. (not really a reason, but it's worth mentioning)

Posteo is not an option for me.

On their website they are talking about using "green energy".

But most  of the time when people talk about "green energy", they really mean wind energy, which isn't green at all since:

a. It's killing birds,

b. Damaging people's health with infrasound

c. Completely ineffective

d. Trees and other plants are being destroyed in the process of building such power plants

e. And they look completely ugly. (not really a reason, but it's worth mentioning)

Are you a hater? You utterly sound like one. No offense.

They have high security and transparency standards, that's what counts. Not using a service just because it claims to use green energy or because "it looks ugly" is pointless since you actually pay such a service for the features it offers. Functionality, security, additonals.

"it looks ugly" was directed at wind power plants.

About the features, security, etc. you were talking about:

Emails are insecure to begin with.
So it doesn't really matter if I use a paid service or a free one, since spying is always a problem while using email.

If I really want to send a private message to someone and don't want to get spied on, I will use another program to do that.

And that way I don't have to knowingly support the destruction of the environment.

"it looks ugly" was directed at wind power plants.

Oh. Right

And that way I don't have to knowingly support the destruction of the environment.

Let's stop using computers, then. Btw, this way we can use the most secure communication method ever: The offline conversation.

Every method of generating electrical energy is somehow environmentally or in terms of efficiency questionable.

What's your email provider?

Let's stop using computers, then.

Now you're getting rediculus.

Every method of generating electrical energy is somehow environmentally or in terms of efficiency questionable.

But wind energy is one of the most "questionable" ways of "generating" electricity in my opinion.

Nuclear energy is less questionable than that since:

a. It's not shredding birds all over the place.

b. Not damaging people's health with infrasound

c. Much more effective (because wind power needs them as backup generators anyway in case there's no wind)

d. Way less trees and other plants are destroyed in the process of building such plants (because you need less of them)

I'm not a supporter of nuclear energy, but supporting wind energy is just insane when you compare it to other ways of "generating" electricity.

Let's stop using computers, then.

Now you're getting rediculus.

But wind energy is one of the most "questionable" ways of "generating" electricity in my opinion.

Nuclear energy is less questionable than that since:

a. It's not shredding birds all over the place.

b. Not damaging people's health with infrasound

c. Much more effective (because wind power needs them as backup generators anyway in case there's no wind)

d. Way less trees and other plants are destroyed in the process of building such plants (because you need less of them)

I'm not a supporter of nuclear energy, but supporting wind energy is just insane when you compare it to other ways of "generating" electricity.

Okay, we get it, wind energy is bad.

Truth is: So far we don't know what kind of energy the folks at Posteo mean when they talk about using data centers powered by green energy. To say "it generally means wind power" is an assumption without proper proof. Could be anything. So I'll stop discussing it here.

Mr. stupidcats wanted to know what email services we all use. I and a number of others wrote we use Posteo and why we do so. And you still didn't post your provider to actually contribute to the topic. So - what is your provider?

(Sent via Tapatalk 4)

Just a heads up, autistici.org no longer requires your email to sign up. When you "request/apply" for a service from them you can leave your email or chose to NOT, and just receive their reply and info by a secure link. Its a free service, although you should donate, and has been vouched for by the staff at airvpn on these forums.

I have the obligatory gmail account as I use Android, I used to remove all google apps, but for backing up family photos, G Drive (15G free) and G + are hard to beat for ease of use. I figure if your gonna carry a phone you may as well go all in.... although I still keep any private/sensitive data completly seperate from my phone and Google.

​Riseup.net for personnel mail and GMX.com for work.

​I also make use of several different "throw away" providers.

Just a heads up, autistici.org no longer requires your email to sign up. When you "request/apply" for a service from them you can leave your email or chose to NOT, and just receive their reply and info by a secure link. Its a free service, although you should donate, and has been vouched for by the staff at airvpn on these forums.

I had a rather uncomfortable experience with A/I. Back in Summer 2013 I read somewhere about prism-break.org where dozens of decentralized and/or privacy-enhanced services are listed which should be preferred over proprietary software and services. That's where I got to know A/I. So I requested an account.

A few days later I received a message from them in which they asked me some interesting questions which got me thinking. Did you read this and that? Do you agree with our mission?

Well, I could just say Yes, sure. The truth is, I was feeling like they would have control over my account if I happen to do things which are not compliant with their mission. I couldn't afford losing another email account without warning (the first one, Lavabit, caused confusion and a mess). So I read on, saw Riseup, registered. Then Posteo came, well, you know the story.

A few days later I received a message from them in which they asked me some interesting questions which got me thinking. Did you read this and that? Do you agree with our mission?

Well, I could just say Yes, sure. The truth is, I was feeling like they would have control over my account if I happen to do things which are not compliant with their mission. I couldn't afford losing another email account without warning (the first one, Lavabit, caused confusion and a mess). So I read on, saw Riseup, registered. Then Posteo came, well, you know the story.

Well, that's what "Terms of Service" means. Keep to these guidelines, or we'll disable your account. Riseup even has pretty much the same ones; except apparently they don't follow up on it in the same way.

I wouldn't want to use a service under those terms either, so I've never used Autistici or Riseup, but it's great that they exist.

And, please, if you are going to try and dominate every topic on the forums, at least edit your signature. The same thirteen lines, repeated in every other post - you're breaking my Page Down key.

Truth is: So far we don't know what kind of energy the folks at Posteo mean when they talk about using data centers powered by green energy. To say "it generally means wind power" is an assumption without proper proof. Could be anything.

This is not true. Posteo explicitly states that they use "green energy" from a company called "Greenpeace Energy", which "generates" it's electricity partly through windpower plants.

(As seen on their [german] Wikipedia Page: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenpeace_Energy#Stromerzeugung)

I'm pretty sure that "Windpark" translates into "windpower plant"

I and a number of others wrote we use Posteo and why we do so. And you still didn't post your provider to actually contribute to the topic.

Hijacking the topic is not always a bad thing.

And to answer your Question:

My provider is Yandex.

Well, that's what "Terms of Service" means. Keep to these guidelines, or we'll disable your account. Riseup even has pretty much the same ones; except apparently they don't follow up on it in the same way.

I wouldn't want to use a service under those terms either, so I've never used Autistici or Riseup, but it's great that they exist.

And, please, if you are going to try and dominate every topic on the forums, at least edit your signature. The same thirteen lines, repeated in every other post - you're breaking my Page Down key.

Dominate the forums? Please confront Staff with this, too, I'm sure you'll have one more friend.

I link to very frequently asked questions which repeat themselves every few weeks. I can't do anything about IP.Board's way of displaying posts and yes, I know, it's far too much wasted space. However, I could delete the info about my internet connection to see if it helps you a bit.

Truth is: So far we don't know what kind of energy the folks at Posteo mean when they talk about using data centers powered by green energy. To say "it generally means wind power" is an assumption without proper proof. Could be anything.

This is not true. Posteo explicitly states that they use "green energy" from a company called "Greenpeace Energy", which "generates" it's electricity partly through windpower plants.

(As seen on their [german] Wikipedia Page: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenpeace_Energy#Stromerzeugung)

I'm pretty sure that "Windpark" translates into "windpower plant"

I and a number of others wrote we use Posteo and why we do so. And you still didn't post your provider to actually contribute to the topic.

Hijacking the topic is not always a bad thing.

And to answer your Question:

My provider is Yandex.

No, hijacking is not always bad. But it's bad if I have to talk about green energy in a topic dedicated to email services and their features. thank you for sharing your provider.

(Sent via Tapatalk 4)