Not connected, Your IP: 3.90.187.11

Hello everyone!

Recently I got a mail from Wuala informing me of the dawning termination of free storage. I've been a Wuala user for more than four years or so and I'm quite content with what LaCie is offering. 5 GB of storage, simple web interface for the ones I share content with, and a documented tree structure with client-side encryption. Swiss work. An application for Windows and Android.

And I really could just purchase 50 GB for 10€ a month or so. But this is a good opportunity to ask for alternatives. Which providers would you recommend, if any?

• I should be able to share contents publicly and via link, these are mandatory.
  • I must be able to trust the service. Absolutely no prying eyes. Preferably no downtimes.
  • How much storage is not important. It may cost something.

I appreciate any recommendations. Thank you in advance.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Hey giganerd!

Have you heard of Spideroak? It's just like Dropbox but a lot more secure. Edward Snowden even gave it his reccomendation. I mostly use bittorrent sync but, if you want cloud storage I would go with Spideroak. Spideroak also has a mobile app. I have used it and it works well! I have used it on Mac and Windows however, if I recall, you are on Linux. So give it a try and see what you think!

https://spideroak.com/

I think Wuala is good choise.

i think its important to keep in mind,that you have to hold the Private key .

Also privacy cost always money and is less "comfortable" .

The best cloud is your "owncloud":a NAS or better freenas .

Gr,

Linze

The best cloud is your "owncloud":a NAS or better freenas .

In terms of privacy, yes, definitely. In terms of speed/aviability a company is better since it's their job to preserve both good speeds and 24/7 aviability. And a service like Wuala, offering more or less transparent background information on the encryption system used, meets all three conditions.

There are many options for storage providers. Here are some resources:

http://alternativeto.net/software/owncloud

Tahoe-LAFS is a "make your own encrypted cloud" that encrypts all your data locally before storing it on servers. You can also pay them to host the servers with LeastAuthority.com or you could rent your own AWS servers if you don't trust them. Check also Glacier.

There's also this huge list on Wikipedia about commercial services. You might want to look at Crashplan, where you hold the private encryption keys.

Tahoe is very nice. However, I would need to look out for a hosting company because I won't set up a server at home even if it would be useful. LeastAuthority seems to only offer payments via credit card and it's data is the very last thing I'd enter on the internet, no matter how bulletproof the system appers to be.

Further, thank you for posting links to alternative lists.

After going through lists and testing out candidates I decided to keep Wuala. At the end of the year I paid 0.99€ for 5 GB storage.

Still, if you have providers to share, please do.

Did you try www.copy.com.

15 GB free, AES-256-SHA encryption and I think they were developed by Barracuda.

I think they recently launched apps for smartphones as well and I can assure they improved a lot the service in the last year. I worked with them in the last 2.5 years.

After going through lists and testing out candidates I decided to keep Wuala. At the end of the year I paid 0.99€ for 5 GB storage.

You mean you paid 0.99€/month for 5GB storage, right? It's not 0.99€/year.

Did you try www.copy.com.

15 GB free, AES-256-SHA encryption and I think they were developed by Barracuda.

Isn't it for companies only? Or do you use it privately?

You mean you paid 0.99€/month for 5GB storage, right? It's not 0.99€/year.

0.99€/month, yes. You can also pay annually, 9.99€/year for 5GB.

Isn't it for companies only? Or do you use it privately?

They changed the homepage to this companies page in which you fill in details of your organization and someone will call you and so on. But, if you press signup from the top right corner of the screen it will prompt a signup-form for personal use. You just fill in and that's it. You can use it privately without any affiliation to a company.

iDrive is my favorite cloud storage.

It has excellent Linux GUI  for individual users  (many other cloud storage services cannot handle Linux at all). Of course, Mac, Windows and mobile devices are covered too.

Actually, both personal and business accounts can enjoy Linux backup either via GUI (I'm not sure about this feature in Dropbox) or via backup script.

iDrive has the possibility to use user's  256-bit AES encryption key (I'm not sure about this feature in Dropbox).

For me, it's the best price/quality ratio (unlike SpiderOak, which  is too expensive).

--- Update ---

Cancelled subscription with Wuala. Running an OwnCloud server at home now.

iDrive is my favorite cloud storage.

It has excellent Linux GUI  for individual users  (many other cloud storage services cannot handle Linux at all). Of course, Mac, Windows and mobile devices are covered too.

Actually, both personal and business accounts can enjoy Linux backup either via GUI (I'm not sure about this feature in Dropbox) or via backup script.

iDrive has the possibility to use user's  256-bit AES encryption key (I'm not sure about this feature in Dropbox).

For me, it's the best price/quality ratio (unlike SpiderOak, which  is too expensive).

I use IDrive as well.  Good price and they support your own encryption key.  I also really like how much effort they have been putting into it over the years.  I've been a subscriber since 2011 and the difference from then to now is amazing.  Their windows application also is very good.

I've tried tahoe-lafs, cyphertite, tarsnap, and many others.

​Tahoe-lafs feels like a real filesystem with terminal commands like cp -r etc. Tarsnap is excellent but is very slow when you need to restore files.

​Currently, I'm using cyphertite and it isn't very user friendly. SpiderOak is not getting any real development and bugs that existed for 8 months still plague its users such as folders don't restore in total and while your uploading your files and the queue gets jammed up and this can lead to waiting hours for the problem to clear up.

​Setup tahoe-lafs on some VPS somewhere and enjoy. Cyphertite is very secure but you'll need time to learn the commands. The documentation is seriously lacking.

Dropbox, Amazon, Apple, Microsoft and Google can dig in your files deployed in their cloud storages.

iDrive is not a user-friendly company (see complaints in comment section here ). From my poin of view  its support (especially salespersons) is among the worst in the industry.  Tech support tends to ignore uncomfortable requests (for instance: about their  autoupdates or corrupted backups). The only way to communicate with them in such cases is to write comment in a renown resource (see the second link above). It's rather tiring.