Not connected, Your IP: 18.191.33.207
Sign in to follow this  
retiredpilot

Powerline ethernet connection using AIR?

Just wondering if anyone here is using a powerline ethernet/adapter "run" to their router with AirVpn?  I have a location I visit where the wireless sucks, and the physical position of my laptop would make it tough to direct wire.  The router has several open Gigaport slots.  I am considering grabbing some 500meg powerline adapters for a trial run.

Didn't know if a complex connection encrypted chain would "crash" a powerline adapter, or do they perform well under a tunnel load?  The router owner is a friend and I don't care about its security at all.  I am handling the security completely inside the laptop configuration.  With that in mind perhaps I could get a powerline adapter setup with a passthrough and no encryption needed for speed.  Remember, all payloads leaving my machine are encrypted already.  Anything to prevent an additional speed bottleneck that adds no "outside world" security.

If powerline devices work well, any suggestions on brands/models?  Surely with the large membership here a few have attempted/or do use such devices.  Do tell!!

I suspect the many AirVpn members might benefit from a faster connection due to their cheap wireless consumer routers.  A powerline ethernet setup may be of great performance benefit.  Is it????????

I avoid powerline adapters just generally can be unreliable and not consistant. Many times they can drop out also where possible its better to stick with cat 5/6 cabling around the building if possible.