Not connected, Your IP: 44.200.74.73

Hi everyone,

I know there have been speculatory threads on VM in the past, but I wanted to post some findings in case anyone finds them useful. I have a 152Mbps connection from VM in the UK and have noticed the following:

• Using the Superhub 2 and OpenVPN (443, UDP) gives a hard cap around 3MB/sec over ethernet
  • Using the Superhub 2 and OpenVPN (443, UDP) gives full speed on 5GHz wifi
  • Using an old PC running pfSense beta with the Superhub 2 in modem only mode removes the 'cap' and allows full speeds regardless of connection method

I had been very frustrated by the 3MB/sec limit, especially when downloading torrents over OpenVPN (port 443, UDP or TCP) using a cat6e desktop PC. The limit applied in Windows and Linux equally and I'd eventually tracked down the issue to the Superhub 2. After switching into modem only mode and connecting through the pfSense box, I was able to get full speed regardless of the OS, and connection method (wireless or ethernet). 

Having switched back temporarily to the Superhub 2 in router mode (to set up a media streamer on the TV) I once again encountered the cap when downloading a Linux torrent (Elementary OS Freya Beta 1). This time I was running Eddie rather than OpenVPN GUI so I switched the connection to SSL Tunnel 443 and voila - full speeds! 

So either VM are throttling OpenVPN connections, or there's a bug in the SH2 which interferes with the handling of OpenVPN connections. Given VM's history of throttling and capping I would generally suspect the former to be true. However, I have noticed that even with normal OpenVPN connections (443, UDP) I get full speed over wifi but the cap returns when switching to ethernet. 

It seems the SH2 has (yet another) bug or issue in routing OpenVPN connections, and changing its firewall settings etc has no effect. Anyone on VM experiencing issues with low speeds would probably see good results from switching to the SSL tunnel. I'd be interested to hear back from anyone else having problems with their SH to see if this helps others. 

I could always stick to the pfSense box of course, but it's an old desktop which uses a lot of energy compared to a small consumer router box. My network isn't complicated enough to warrant the pfSense box unless it's essential - which now, with the SSL tunnel, it isn't. 

Hi rainmakerraw,

I have a Virgin Media 50 Mbps connection and generally speaking when connected to AirVPN using TCP 443 I average around 15Mpbs.

I just tried your idea of using the SSL 443 and I have a speed of 36Mbps to a German server.

However on a DNS test I use I see the DNS as being 248.67.122.62 which comes up as being a reserved address if I search it,any idea how that happens or is it a typical behaviour when using SSL 443?

This is the site,

http://check2ip.com/

Also,using SSL 443 means that you are automatically using TCP 443 to begin with and then adding a further layer of encryption by using the SSL as well?

It seems perverse that using two layers of encryption should allow you faster traffic flows than when using only one layer but maybe I need correcting somewhere along the line.

Thanks

It seems perverse that using two layers of encryption should allow you faster traffic flows than when using only one layer but maybe I need correcting somewhere alng the line.

Thanks

Yes, I agree it is perverse, but that's exactly what I have to do to see "full" bandwidth using a VPN.  My ISP, Verizon FiOS, apparently performs DPI (deep packet inspection).  When it detects openvpn traffic, it throttles the bandwidth to 10Mpbs (sometimes less).  The only way for me to avoid unnecessary throttling is to encapsulate the openvpn traffic with SSL over port 443.  This prevents DPI from detecting the type of traffic being transmitted and my downloads went upwards of 60Mpbs (I have 75/75 service).  The Eddie client is genius in that it provides this capability with the click of a mouse.

Yes hashswag,

DPI,I remember now that Virgin Media,that's a Liberty Global company here in the UK,also performs DPI.

I have assumed up until now that the alternative ports that Air uses for the ovpn traffic was enough to anonymise my data from that but of course it is an 'always on' function I guess.

I'm sure Virgin have stated somewhere that they do not throttle ovpn traffic but this little experiment seems to be proof to the opposite effect.

Thanks to you,rainmakerraw and Air for enlarging my understanding further.

I'm with Virgin Media (25mbts) and never had any caping issue.

However I did have very un regular speed with Virgin Media, mostly Sunday and Monday

I have Virgin Media 30MB and I noticed I was being capped at 10MB it seemed, I then ticked the SSH Tunnel Port 22 (Alternative Entry IP) and now get a consistent 28MB and never goes below.

However I don't know if having this ticked will effect my anonymity, so if someone knows please let me know.  

Thank you rainmaker for finding the fix for virgin customers.

So modem only mode seems to be the right fix or using wireless connectivity or the tunnel options like suggested above.

I've been trying all the SSH and the SSL tunnels recently and I found that the initial speed gain drops after a while.

I don't know if virgin just throttle any traffic that they can not inspect but that would seem a fair guess imho.

I use the standard  TCP/UDP 443 ports now for regular traffic and if I have a bigger download scheduled then I will swop to a SSH or SSL tunnel and hope I can get the better speeds on that day.

I'm not using the superhub in modem only mode though but still have the wireless turned on.

Hi,

I have been with using AirVPN with the superhub in modem mode on VM for a couple of years. I find my 60mps connection (Using ethernet cable most of the time) is always capped to around 10-15mbs when using *any* method on AirVPN (Using both Eddie or command line and any protocols).

I now tend to use SSH 22 Alt entery as that gives me the fastest speed for my overall sesions. Although SSL sometimes can help to. I tend to find the UK servers generally slower than the Netherland ones.

I agree with other comments that occasionally I'll get an initally good rate (up to 60mps) when the connection first starts but it soon appears to be throttled back own to 10-15mps.

We'd all like to have a faster speed on VM, but I value my online privacy more so, so I'm happy to take the hit in speed.

I've been trying all the SSH and the SSL tunnels recently and I found that the initial speed gain drops after a while.

I don't know if virgin just throttle any traffic that they can not inspect but that would seem a fair guess imho.

I use the standard  TCP/UDP 443 ports now for regular traffic and if I have a bigger download scheduled then I will swop to a SSH or SSL tunnel and hope I can get the better speeds on that day.

I'm not using the superhub in modem only mode though but still have the wireless turned on.

Try modem only mode and ethernet only (last yellow port) it should take few minutes to adjust the router settings you can always reset it or switch wireless or normal router mode afterwards.

Hi,

I have been with using AirVPN with the superhub in modem mode on VM for a couple of years. I find my 60mps connection (Using ethernet cable most of the time) is always capped to around 10-15mbs when using *any* method on AirVPN (Using both Eddie or command line and any protocols).

I now tend to use SSH 22 Alt entery as that gives me the fastest speed for my overall sesions. Although SSL sometimes can help to. I tend to find the UK servers generally slower than the Netherland ones.

I agree with other comments that occasionally I'll get an initally good rate (up to 60mps) when the connection first starts but it soon appears to be throttled back own to 10-15mps.

We'd all like to have a faster speed on VM, but I value my online privacy more so, so I'm happy to take the hit in speed.

Am confused when you say using ethernet cable most of the time ? If the router was in modem only mode your wireless would be off so you can only use the ethernet ?

I have not bothered with ssh/ssl or alternative ports too much since modem only mode fixes the issue can max out my full speeds most of the time however it does have its bad or good days ie peak times or weekends its slower etc

I have noticed with virgin you may also wish to check your splitters or wiring especially if you have Tivo boxes and cable tv in other rooms and then a router since some of the splitters or cable entry splitter could be poor quality or degrading the signal. its just a theory for now but I think under a VPN the connection is way more stressed and poorer splitters and long wiring may cause drop outs or poor speeds.

Also check here:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Up-to-152Mb/Country-Wide-Ping-Packet-Loss-Issue-Started-09-10-2014/td-p/2508163

massive thread outlining Virgins terrible packet loss or poor performance across the entire country issue no doubt has much to do with general performance but still!

Sorry. I have the superhub in modem mode connected on to another router, from which I connect to via Ethernet cable. The wifi signal on the superhub was diabolical so I'm using the another one for wifi.

Even before I swapped back, just using the superhub gave me the same 10-15mps speed over VPN.

I can still Max out at 60mps if not using the VPN so I don't think it's a wiring or connection fault.

ok yeah another router, still a little strange you would get low performance I found many issues were my PC desktop needed to be more powerful ie Core i5 3ghz+ and using an intel based ethernet card helped great. I build a highend pfsense box also which maxes out connections. Also splitters and cabling was at fault replacing with a direct connection via the cable wire to modem and disconnecting cable tv and other boxes allowed me to diagnose where my speed loss was occuring.

Many factors and fault finding oddly not yet finished!

Keep trying you may wish to try directly again with the superhub, avoid powerline adaptors and try a direct connection via lan its a right headache but worth it in the end