Not connected, Your IP: 3.93.59.171
Sign in to follow this  
bubbelbabbel

Slow connection using vpn

I've been using anonine for a few months, but they recently changed their setup to NAT everyone and not provide port forwarding. So here I am..

I'm testing the connection speed of lots of different vpn providers, but I seem to get horrible speeds from everyone.

I have a 100/10 connection and I can only achieve around 5-10mbit down and up to 10mbit up.

I have tried 3 different vpn providers (including anonine which are also just as slow now). And they all give the same result. Around 10mbit down.

I have tried the connections on 2 different ISPs and several different computers using both the OpenVPN gui and AirVPN gui.. Same result.

I have tried all the ports and ssh and ssl connections to many different servers in your network but I still can not get proper speed.

Yes, I get slightly better speed on speedtest.net using SSL connection, which leads me to believe my ISP is throttling openvpn traffic, but I tried downloading a torrent with SSL vpn connection and the highest speed I can get is around 60KB/sec, on a torrent I would max without the vpn. Which again leads me to believe it is just speedtest.net that is giving "faulty" readings..

I'm at a loss here, so I hope someone can provide some insights as to what I can test, because I have no more ideas.. 

I'll answer my own request.. 

I figured out why it's so damn slow.. It's all OpenVPN's fault!

The latest version of the TAP driver they bundle with the software, (which also AirVPN bundle with your software), does not work like it should, and completely messes up when trying to transfer anything.

I installed a previous version of the TAP driver, and boom, all is back to normal with proper speeds.

This bug shows itself on every win7x64 computer I've tried it on, and on server 2012.. So I can not belive it is only happening to me. There must be others with the same problem. So here is the solution, go get an older version of the TAP drivers from here : http://swupdate.openvpn.org/community/releases/

I figured out why it's so damn slow.. It's all OpenVPN's fault! :)

The latest version of the TAP driver they bundle with the software, (which also AirVPN bundle with your software), does not work like it should, and completely messes up when trying to transfer anything.

I installed a previous version of the TAP driver, and boom, all is back to normal with proper speeds.

Hello!

Thank you for the report. Some documentation about the bug? Ways to reproduce it?

Kind regards

I figured out why it's so damn slow.. It's all OpenVPN's fault!

Hello!

Thank you for the report. Some documentation about the bug? Ways to reproduce it?

Kind regards

As far as I can tell it's like this with every win7x64 or win server2012 x64 I've tried it on. You can attempt to install the latest TAP drivers, I think this one is the latest: http://swupdate.openvpn.org/community/releases/tap-windows-9.21.0.exe

Remember to choose "uninstall the driver" when you remove the old TAP-Windows network card. I've tried installing the latest openVPN (http://swupdate.openvpn.org/community/releases/openvpn-install-2.3.4-I603-x86_64.exe) on 2 computers that has not had any vpn software installed before, and both show the same problems.

As far as I can tell it's like this with every win7x64 or win server2012 x64 I've tried it on. You can attempt to install the latest TAP drivers, I think this one is the latest: http://swupdate.openvpn.org/community/releases/tap-windows-9.21.0.exe

Hello,

any confirmation on this by third parties? We have a roughly estimate of >5000 systems with Win 7 64 bit using the latest tun/tap adapter driver and not even one single report about this problem. Bug tracker? Links?

Kind regards

Hello,

any confirmation on this by third parties? We have a roughly estimate of >5000 systems with Win 7 64 bit using the latest tun/tap adapter driver and not even one single report about this problem. Bug tracker? Links?

Kind regards

I have been searching the web for a few days trying to figure it out without much success.. Most of the threads having similar issues are old.

All I can tell you is my experience, but it seems pretty clear that there must be a problem with the latest TAP drivers. It's been tried on 5 different computers in 3 different locations and they all give the same result. 

3 of them here at my place, 1 win7x64, 1 win7x32 and 1 server2012 computer. A friend of mine tried it on his win7x64 computer by downloading the airvpn client as his first time using vpn, same result. and I tried it on a computer running win7x64 with a different internet provider. That computer also had no previously installed vpn software, and had the same issue with speed maxing out at 3mbit on a 25mbit connection.

All this said, I am very satisfied with the speed I am getting from AirVPN servers once this issue was resolved.. I am now able to max out my 100mbit connection on torrents.

Hello!

Thank you very much for all the information you provided! Of course, if you gather more data, feel free to publish. Did you contact OpenVPN community (in the forums) or OpenVPN Technologies about this problem?

Kind regards

Hello!

Thank you very much for all the information you provided! Of course, if you gather more data, feel free to publish. Did you contact OpenVPN community (in the forums) or OpenVPN Technologies about this problem?

Kind regards

No I didn't as of yet.. But I did verify just now by uninstalling the working (9.0.0.9 drivers) and installing the latest 9.0.0.21 version to confirm that the connection is broken using the latest driver. And reverted back to 9.0.0.9 fixed it again.

I just noticed one thing though.. AirVPN is NOT bundled with the latest TAP drivers.. It is bundled with the same version I used to get things working..

The latest one bundled with openvpn is 9.0.0.21 , the bundled one with AirVPN is 9.0.0.9.

Which then doesn't explain why I got crap speeds using only the airvpn on a clean computer.. Might have been a fluke, since I didn't have that much time to test it.. 

I'm going to have to try a bit more, maybe the computer needs a reboot after first install even though it doesn't request it?

I am having this same issue. I am new to the VPN world but having 30kB/s for download through my bit torrent  is not acceptable. I was getting 5mB/s before i signed up for airvpn. Someone please tell me how to fix this.

I am having this same issue. I am new to the VPN world but having 30kB/s for download through my bit torrent  is not acceptable. I was getting 5mB/s before i signed up for airvpn. Someone please tell me how to fix this.

My Trial has expired, and since I still have a couple months of paid subscription left at anonine, I'm gonna wait untill it expires to switch to AirVPN. 

But could you check the version of your TAP drivers installed.. (Device manager -> properties on Tap-Windoes under network cards -> drivers.

Try reinstalling the TAP drivers, by removing the adapter from device manager and choosing the delete the drivers checkmark when he asks for confirmation. Then install the 9.9_3 drivers from here http://swupdate.openvpn.org/community/releases/  Possibly reboot, and then try. BTW: I am not able to get max speed through 1 connection (like speedtest.net), just around 50%, but with several connections (like torrents) I can max it.. 

Other than that, the obvious applies, connect to the closest server location to you, don't trust the auto select function.. 

I'm having trouble getting my connection speed to anything more than 10Mbps down using AirVPN.

Setup:

FiOS 75/75

Windows 7 64 bit, updated

Core2Duo Quad OC'd 3Ghz, 8GB RAM, tons of disk

Asus RT-AC68U running Shibby Tomato latest

I have been using AirVPN for about half a year and figured the slow down is expected because it's a VPN.

[cut: no ads please]

I'm having trouble getting my connection speed to anything more than 10Mbps down using AirVPN.

Setup:

FiOS 75/75

Windows 7 64 bit, updated

Core2Duo Quad OC'd 3Ghz, 8GB RAM, tons of disk

Asus RT-AC68U running Shibby Tomato latest

I have been using AirVPN for about half a year and figured the slow down is expected because it's a VPN.

[cut: no ads please]

Hello,

our OpenVPN Data Channel cipher is AES-256-CBC. You're getting the maximum AES-256 throughput that can be sustained by your router CPU (assuming that OpenVPN runs on Shibby Tomato). AES-256 is a high grade encryption that's computationally heavy for a consumers' router CPU. In other services, if no encryption or weak encryption is used in the OpenVPN Data Channel, throughput will be obviously much higher, at the price of significantly lower security. You can anyway bypass the bottleneck by connecting directly your computers (up to three simultaneously) or using a more powerful routing box (see pfSense for example).

Kind regard

I have the ac68 with merlin firmware and can get 35mbit/s which is my ISP connection max.  Looking at the CPU usage, I'm sure I can go significantly faster.

Perhaps it's because you are using shibby tomato?  Of course, it also depends on what server you are using and your ISP's bandwidth from that server back to your computer.

For some reason, my post was cut.  I'm not running OpenVPN on my router.  I am running the AirVPN client on my PC.  I also tried another VPN (popular in the US) and saw 95% of my raw performance download.  The PC can handle it.

My question:  Why does the other VPN provider work at 95% of my bandwidth, but I'm only seeing 10Mpbs with AirVPN using both the client and OpenVPN directly (again, both on the PC).

Thanks...

In addition, I have ried changing from UDP 443 to TCP 443 to UDP 2018 to UDP 53 to SSL 443. Tried changing TAP from 9.9.2 to 9.9.1 (as mentioned in another thread). Changed to various US and Canadian-based servers. Nothing seems to help.

It looks to me like I *should* be getting much more bandwidth using AirVPN. I don't know why I'm not.

Any idea:
1. Why I'm seeing such poor bandwidth?
2. What I can do about it?

To be clear, I am running this on my Core2Quad 3Ghz PC mentioned above.  While running speed tests, the openvpn process doesn't go above 5%.

With another provider, I am seeing 95% of my raw download bandwidth, and about 75% of my upload.

I've love to stay with AirVPN as I find it the superior service and would like to get this solved.

Well, after changing the protocol to various settings, I tried the SSH Tunnel, Port 22 and then 80.  22 didn't help, but 80 got me to 45-50Mps down, but only 5-7Mbps up (my service is 75/75 and without a VPN, I get 83/90 reliably).

Any suggestions to increase the upload speeds?

Thanks...

For some reason, my post was cut.  I'm not running OpenVPN on my router.  I am running the AirVPN client on my PC.  I also tried another VPN (popular in the US) and saw 95% of my raw performance download.  The PC can handle it.

My question:  Why does the other VPN provider work at 95% of my bandwidth, but I'm only seeing 10Mpbs with AirVPN using both the client and OpenVPN directly (again, both on the PC).

Thanks...

Hello!

We cut the ads.

Some possible attempts you can try are explained in reply to your ticket.Actually it looks like you could manage to bypass incoming traffic shaping. Maybe outgoing traffic different than a whitelist of protocols (we mean protocols at application layer) is shaped unconditionally by your ISP.

Kind regards

I see.  Apologies for the "ad".

Anyone else have Verizon FiOS and seeing traffic shaping?  From what I know, they are the least likely to shape traffic (unlike Comcast).

I believe I have an answer for my own question.  According to this video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7EzElm5v2Q

FiOS does traffic shape using DPI (Deep Packet Inspection).  We have to hide OpenVPN connection to not be throttled using an SSL tunnel over port 443.  Luckily, AirVPN provides that option.

Using a tunnel now gets me to 55/35.  Much better than the 10 I was getting.

Just letting other FiOS/AirVPN customers know that this is the way to do get better performance.  Thanks to those who helped above.

I all so have some speed problems. 

I used to have close to my 10/10 speed with airVPN. Now i get   1.5/1.2 MB with   Protocol UDP. port 443   and 5/1.5 MB   with protocol TCP443. protocol TCP 80 allso give same 5-6MB download and whopping 1.5MB upload.   I am not very happy..

Changing TAP drivers did not help much.

If you're using the AirVPN client, try going into Preferences, Protocols, and try using SSL Tunnel Port 443 (bottom right).  This solved my performance issues with AirVPN and Verizon FiOS with traffic shaping/deep packet inspection.  With 75/75 service (tests at 83/92 without VPN), I was getting 10/10 using the default UDP 443 setting.  I now get 58/40.

Hey so im new and Im wondering if my download speed is supposed to be this slow? Outside of the VPN I get anywhere between 55-60 Mbps and with the VPN I get 4Mbps max.

I am running Windows 7 64bit.

Im not sure if I have to fix a setting to get my speeds higher.

Hello,

I'm a new user here. I was having the same problem. My Comcast speed should be 30/5 Mbps but was getting about 3-4/5 Mbps using AirVPN. Based on the suggestion made by Hashswag (post # 21) I made the changes in my preferences (using SSL Tunnel 443) and I now I'm getting 27/4 Mpbs using AirVPN. Hope that helps, and thanks Hashswag.

Glad to see that worked for you.  Appears Comcast is doing the same thing as Verizon FiOS.  It's too bad the major ISPs are resorting to tactics like this in an attempt to control content.  But thanks to AirVPN's flexibility, we are able to get around it with SSL on top of OpenVPN.