Not connected, Your IP: 34.206.64.143
Staff

Eddie 2.6 available

Hello!

We're very glad to inform you that a new Eddie Air client version has been released: 2.6. Please read the changelogs: https://airvpn.org/services/changelog.php?software=client&format=html

2.6 version is compatible with several Linux distributions. For very important notes about environments, please read here: https://airvpn.org/forum/35-client-software-platforms-environments

This is essentially a release aimed to bug fixes. We recommend that OS X users as well as any Operating System users needing to connect OpenVPN over a proxy with authentication perform upgrade as soon as possible.

Eddie 2.6 for Linux can be downloaded here: https://airvpn.org/linux
Eddie 2.6 for Windows can be downloaded here: https://airvpn.org/windows
Eddie 2.6 for OS X Mavericks can be downloaded here: https://airvpn.org/macosx

PLEASE NOTE: Eddie 2.6 package, just like Eddie 2.4beta and Eddie 2.5 packages, includes an OpenVPN version re-compiled by us with OpenSSL 1.0.1i for security reasons and to fix this bug: https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/ticket/328

Eddie overview is available here: https://airvpn.org/software

Eddie includes a Network Lock feature: https://airvpn.org/faq/software_lock

Eddie 2.6 is free and open source software released under GPLv3

Kind regards & datalove
AirVPN Staff

I just now downloaded Eddie for the very first time — v2.6 — and when launched, all I get is the app with all the items in its AirVPN menu grayed-out.

Its Finder Get info says it's v2.2 (but a lot of developers forget to update the Get info string). However I can't check the version in the app's About menu, either, because it's grayed-out.

I wish you'd list system requitements on the download page. I'm still under Mac OS X 10.6.8 (for good reason!), and the app's info.plist "Minimum system version" key says "10.6."

Logs attached. ["You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file"]

Process:         AirVPN [29639]
Path:            /Users/yepper/Desktop/AirVPN.app/Contents/MacOS/AirVPN
Identifier:      AirVPN
Version:         ??? (???)
Code Type:       X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process:  AirVPN [29614]

Date/Time:       2014-09-20 14:23:34.616 -0400
OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)
Report Version:  6
Sleep/Wake UUID: FD347E34-4AEF-4FDF-84C8-5763D0ABC354

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGILL)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x00007fff5fc01028
Crashed Thread:  Unknown

Backtrace not available

Unknown thread crashed with X86 Thread State (64-bit):
  rax: 0x0000000000000000  rbx: 0x0000000000000000  rcx: 0x0000000000000000  rdx: 0x0000000000000000
  rdi: 0x0000000000000000  rsi: 0x0000000000000000  rbp: 0x0000000000000000  rsp: 0x0000000000000000
   r8: 0x0000000000000000   r9: 0x0000000000000055  r10: 0x0000000000000000  r11: 0x0000000000000000
  r12: 0x0000000000000000  r13: 0x0000000000000000  r14: 0x0000000000000000  r15: 0x0000000000000000
  rip: 0x00007fff5fc01028  rfl: 0x0000000000010202  cr2: 0x00007fff5fc01028

Binary images description not available

From my short testing so far under Arch Linux 64bit - working well. Appreciated.

Will do more network lock testing early next week.

I just now downloaded Eddie for the very first time — v2.6 — and when launched, all I get is the app with all the items in its AirVPN menu grayed-out.

Its Finder Get info says it's v2.2 (but a lot of developers forget to update the Get info string). However I can't check the version in the app's About menu, either, because it's grayed-out.

I wish you'd list system requitements on the download page. I'm still under Mac OS X 10.6.8 (for good reason!), and the app's info.plist "Minimum system version" key says "10.6."

Logs attached. ["You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file"]

Process:         AirVPN [29639]
Path:            /Users/yepper/Desktop/AirVPN.app/Contents/MacOS/AirVPN
Identifier:      AirVPN
Version:         ??? (???)
Code Type:       X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process:  AirVPN [29614]

Date/Time:       2014-09-20 14:23:34.616 -0400
OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)
Report Version:  6
Sleep/Wake UUID: FD347E34-4AEF-4FDF-84C8-5763D0ABC354

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGILL)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x00007fff5fc01028
Crashed Thread:  Unknown

Backtrace not available

Unknown thread crashed with X86 Thread State (64-bit):
  rax: 0x0000000000000000  rbx: 0x0000000000000000  rcx: 0x0000000000000000  rdx: 0x0000000000000000
  rdi: 0x0000000000000000  rsi: 0x0000000000000000  rbp: 0x0000000000000000  rsp: 0x0000000000000000
   r8: 0x0000000000000000   r9: 0x0000000000000055  r10: 0x0000000000000000  r11: 0x0000000000000000
  r12: 0x0000000000000000  r13: 0x0000000000000000  r14: 0x0000000000000000  r15: 0x0000000000000000
  rip: 0x00007fff5fc01028  rfl: 0x0000000000010202  cr2: 0x00007fff5fc01028

Binary images description not available

On the download page for the "Eddie client it says,"OS X Mavericks supported." The staff have also stated that the Eddie client is designed for OSX Mavericks. Also with this update htey are getting it ready for the release of the new Mac operation system "Yeosemite".

You are having problems with Eddie because if was not designed for your operating system. I would recommend using Viscosity or tunnelblick with your Mac operating system. Personally i used viscosity without issue for quite awhile until eddie 2.4 was released.

JD Hopps, are you one of the developers? (Are you even a Mac user?) If not, then, in the absence of published system requirements here, how do you know that Eddie 2.6 isn't supported by my operating system? Because "OS X Mavericks supported" and "designed for OSX Mavericks" aren't the same thing as saying that Mac OS X 10.6–10.8 aren't supported. There are hundreds & hundreds of Mac OS X apps that recently have become Mavericks- and even Yosemite-compliant, yet still work with even 10.5 Leopard, and many with earlier versions. Besides, I just got through saying in my first post that I inspected the app's info.plist, and its "Minimum system version" key says "10.6."... While I recognize that Apple's developer tools recently have been making it harder and harder on purpose to provide backward-compatibility with earlier OS versions, many developers are stepping-up and and making the extra effort to do the right thing, especially inasmuch as the installed base of Mac OS X 10.6 still exceeds that of 10.7.

Yepper I am not one of the developers. However, I do check the forums on this site often and have seen on serveral occasions the AirVPN staff saying that the eddie client is designed for OSX Mavericks. Since you did not like the answer I provided you, I suggest you contact the AirVPN staff through a support ticket.

To repeat, one can only infer from "designed for OSX Mavericks" that it was designed to be compliant with it; not necessarily that all earlier versions are no longer compatible. And for the third time, Eddie 2.6's info.plist "Minimum system version" key says "10.6."... I didn't like the answer you provided because it was not conclusive and not authoritative. I will await a reply here from the developer, for a support ticket is no substitute for published min. & max. system requirements.

Winx64 7\2008 R2 - Base features seem to be working well\as intended for the limited time (couple hours) I've been running it, have not tried netlock though.

I suggested the support ticket because most of the time it is a faster way of getting in touch with the staff. This is just my suggestion. Good luck solving your problem yepper.

JD Hopps, are you one of the developers? (Are you even a Mac user?) If not, then, in the absence of published system requirements here, how do you know that Eddie 2.6 isn't supported by my operating system? Because "OS X Mavericks supported" and "designed for OSX Mavericks" aren't the same thing as saying that Mac OS X 10.6–10.8 aren't supported. There are hundreds & hundreds of Mac OS X apps that recently have become Mavericks- and even Yosemite-compliant, yet still work with even 10.5 Leopard, and many with earlier versions. Besides, I just got through saying in my first post that I inspected the app's info.plist, and its "Minimum system version" key says "10.6."... While I recognize that Apple's developer tools recently have been making it harder and harder on purpose to provide backward-compatibility with earlier OS versions, many developers are stepping-up and and making the extra effort to do the right thing, especially inasmuch as the installed base of Mac OS X 10.6 still exceeds that of 10.7.

Hello!

Yes, we are not precise in the download page. Be informed that Eddie works only with OS X Mavericks and Yosemite, as repeatedly stated in the forums.

The misleading information in info.plist comes from the fact that Eddie is really compiled to be compatible even with OS X 10.6 and 10.7, but the employed development tool used for OS X clearly must have problems in generating compatible binaries. Upgrade to Mavericks is free, if your system can support it. If you can't or don't want to upgrade, please use Tunnelblick (free and open source, just like Eddie), for which we provide instructions and a very thorough Configuration Generator, or OpenVPN (we also provide a re-compiled version of OpenVPN, just in case). At this very moment, we have no plans to make Eddie compatible with OS X older than Mavericks.

Kind regards

@Staff, @JD Hopps - Just my two cents. Stating something works with Mavericks, says nothing about whether or not it will work with older versions. "Vista" and "Windows 7" certified software can and do work properly on XP. Point being "designed for Mavericks" does not imply "not works with older OS". Neither does saying "Mavericks supported". In your response above you worded it correctly as "works ONLY with Maverick and Yosemite" (emphasis mine). I think its better for the long term if you state that explicitly on the following pages -

https://airvpn.org/macosx/ - It currently reads Mavericks supported.

https://airvpn.org/macosx_ex/ - The OS support is not mentioned. (The link in the first posts leads to this page even though the text reads like earlier link).

https://airvpn.org/topic/11578-os-x/ - Mentions latest tested version is Mavericks. To me this reads "it may or may not work on earlier versions". If the evidence from the past 3 releases is to be considered then its a fact that the client doesn't work on older versions.

and in the first post of the release threads for each version.

It is unrealistic to expect every user to thoroughly peruse the forums to figure out that in some random post somewhere the Staff clarified older versions aren't supported.

-----------

Regarding the latest version - All good on Mavericks. Cheers :beer:

@Staff, @JD Hopps - Just my two cents. Stating something works with Mavericks, says nothing about whether or not it will work with older versions. "Vista" and "Windows 7" certified software can and do work properly on XP. Point being "designed for Mavericks" does not imply "not works with older OS". Neither does saying "Mavericks supported". In your response above you worded it correctly as "works ONLY with Maverick and Yosemite" (emphasis mine). I think its better for the long term if you state that explicitly on the following pages -

https://airvpn.org/macosx/ - It currently reads Mavericks supported.

https://airvpn.org/macosx_ex/ - The OS support is not mentioned. (The link in the first posts leads to this page even though the text reads like earlier link).

https://airvpn.org/topic/11578-os-x/ - Mentions latest tested version is Mavericks. To me this reads "it may or may not work on earlier versions". If the evidence from the past 3 releases is to be considered then its a fact that the client doesn't work on older versions.

and in the first post of the release threads for each version.

It is unrealistic to expect every user to thoroughly peruse the forums to figure out that in some random post somewhere the Staff clarified older versions aren't supported.

-----------

Regarding the latest version - All good on Mavericks. Cheers :beer:

Hello!

Although not confirmed, Snow Leopard seems to have reached the end of its life cycle http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/03/snow-leopard-updates-are-probably-done-here-are-your-os-x-upgrade-options

There are some bugs in the developers tools we use to build Eddie about Snow Leopard which apparently will never be fixed because of the end of support. For example it seems that Snow Leopard doesn't work with the Xcode version that supports XIB integration.

Yes, pinfo.list have 10.6 as minimum requirement. This is simple because we have only a Mavericks testing system, we simply don't know if 10.6..10.8 works (perfectly) or not, and we are still studying feedbacks. [Staff note: additionally, Eddie is compiled to be compatible with OS X 10.6, as explained in the previous post]

Our mistake might have been that we dropped the word 'beta' before adjusting the minimum requirements in plist.

Kind regards

Eddie programmers

Hi, I have some positive feedback guys!

I did a few "DNS leak tests" this morning with http://ipleak.net & https://dnsleaktest.com

and I was leaking bad. So I read up on the subject of DNS leaks, and then tried your new Eddie 2.6 client. The default settings still got my DNS leaked. How ever, after going into the advanced settings and check-boxing the settings: "check if tunnel is using AirVPNs DNS" and "Force DNS", the issue is gone!

So happy and so easy to use guys! Big thanks, no more leaking here!

BR

Just a suggestion: When the speed is displayed in MB/s in the Overview tab, round it off to the nearest tenth instead of whole numbers so smaller speed changes can be seen. 

Hi,

I just moved to the eddie 2.6 version and I am experiencing some issues that have carried over from the 2.4 version.

I can not connect to the internet at all from my Windows 7 machine unless I use the Air VPN client.

When the pc starts and the vpn is not used only skype can make a connection,no browsers are able to.

I have flushed DNS from the command line and released and renewed the DHCP lease as well as resetting the network adaptors.

If anyone can offer a clue as to how I can rectify this situation then all input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I uninstalled the vpn client and the tuntap adaptor as this resolved the issue for me previously but no luck this time.

Seems to be working fine in Linux Mint 17.

However I am new to linux and haven't done any extensive checking. All I know is that the other night I kept loosing my connection to Air for some reason (caused at my end I think) and the network lock kept me offline each time.

Thank you Air!

I had to re-start the auto DNS setting in the network adaptor properties and start Network Location Awareness in Services to recover my standard internet connection and I have not used the VPN since I restored those settings and recovered my normal service.

I would suppose the forced DNS setting in the advanced section of Eddie would have caused the regular settings to have been over-ridden like this as there was a 10.4.0.1 address as the default DNS in the network adaptor which would look to me to more likely be the VPN DNS and not the 192.168.0.1 that is in there now.

Is anyone else having any issues like this on Windows machines or am I alone here?

I would appreciate if any devs could let me know if they are aware of these issues and if there is a fix on the way?

Thanks

@McLoEa

Hello,

an "original" DNS restore might fail under very rare circumstances which however we need to be able to reproduce. Eddie has also an emergency recovery in case it could not restore before shutting down (for example if it was forcefully killed). Feel free to keep us posted if the problem re-occurs: if possible try to detect a pattern for which the failure is reproducible. Even OpenVPN itself, if put in conditions to be unable to execute the down script, would leave the DNS settings not restored.

Kind regards

Hi,

So some advice for Windows users at least would be to make sure the Eddie Client has exited the VPN and shut down completely before you shut down your PC.

I'll try and stick to that then and just in case anyone else needs to know the solution in windows 7 was to go to network and sharing center then go to change adaptor settings,select the adaptor you normally use,right-click and select properties,select Internet Protocol Version 4,click on properties then select Obtain DNS server address automatically in the next pop up and click ok to exit.

You may or may not need to go to Services and start  Network Location Awareness too.

Thanks

I had to re-start the auto DNS setting in the network adaptor properties and start Network Location Awareness in Services to recover my standard internet connection and I have not used the VPN since I restored those settings and recovered my normal service.

I would suppose the forced DNS setting in the advanced section of Eddie would have caused the regular settings to have been over-ridden like this as there was a 10.4.0.1 address as the default DNS in the network adaptor which would look to me to more likely be the VPN DNS and not the 192.168.0.1 that is in there now.

Is anyone else having any issues like this on Windows machines or am I alone here?

I would appreciate if any devs could let me know if they are aware of these issues and if there is a fix on the way?

Thanks

No problem for me with the force dns and then flush dns feature. Workes great every time so far (a couple of weeks of testing now.)

I'm getting the forced DNS settings sticking every time I log off quickly but at least I know the fix now.

As an addendum to what I said earlier ,it turns out my boot disk has a corrupted registry and is at the point of failure and this issue with the eddie client is only one of  a few issues that have come up in the last few days.

Luckily the drive is in warranty and I can RMA it so all good.

When i quit the AirVPN Client(Network Lock on) on Windows it always turns the Windows Firewall off. It's pretty annoying. Is there a fix?