Not connected, Your IP: 54.144.233.198
dtsakirakis

Network lock in Eddie 2.5 can not share home network with other computers when enabled!

Hello!

TCP and UDP are allowed in the local network. So if you use SMB (CIFS) to share folders, it should work as long as the transport protocol is UDP or TCP. However SMB could rely on NetBIOS too as transport protocol, in which case we need to investigate, can you please give us some information about that?

Kind regards

hi,

The home network for the 3 windows 8.1 computers are based on the NetBIOS, now before enable the network lock on Eddie 2.5 the folders shared on the home network are visible and shared also the mapped drive folders for quick access, now when network lock is enabled on Eddie 2.5 all the folders NetBIOS are not Except for the mapped drive folders which they are still visible.....

Thanks.

I can confirm.

Windows 8.1 server, under AirVPN (Eddie 2.6). Another computer on the same network, using XBMC (with Windows 7).

If I browse the network from the Win 7 machine, I don't see the Win 8.1 server, if I access the shares from XBMC configured as smb://SERVERNAME/sharedfolder, they are still accessible. But even browsing from XBMC to access a new share doesn't work, as it doesn't see any machine on the network.

By using "net config server" from an elevated command prompt, I see:

Server is active on:

NetbiosSmb (SERVERNAME)

NetBT_Tcpip_<physical address of the adapter I guess> (SERVERNAME)

NetBT_Tcpip_<physical address of the adapter I guess> (SERVERNAME)

I guess the last two entries refer to the physical ethernet adapter and to the TAP adapter.

I wonder if forcing only NetBT_Tcpip to work would solve the problem. It should be done by adapter properties/TCP/IP v4 properties/Advanced/WINS... (tried it doesn't seem to affect what I get from net config server... maybe a reboot is needed?

Could we please get this to work? It's been more than two three months with no reply. It's pretty annoying having a machine locked out from local network for no good reason

+1 - I have described a similar Issue in the eddie 2.8  beta RC thread for the OSX client where when I activate network lock, local machines are still browse-able via finder but all other services like VNC, remotes (e.g. xbmc) or running server applications are blocked.

usb devices like what? I'm not sure I understand what you're asking?

I had the same problem, turning the network lock on and off made no difference.

Until the AirVPN team come up with a solution to this problem I have found it best not to use the network lock at all.

I resored all access to my local network (NAS box and 2 other linux and windows computers) by going into Windows Firewall/advanced and restoring the firewall to it's default configuration.

Whilst in there I noticed that ALL other entries apart from the AIR VPN program were deleted so maybe that is the problem.

(I'm using Win 7 ultimate 64bit on my windows machines)

Thanks for the quick response I have a Mac Book Pro. Do you happen to know how I would fix it on the Mac OS?

Is there any official statement regarding the network lock feature from airvpn? There are multiple useres reporting troubles with the feature even in the newest 2.8 client spread over various topics and threads.

My two man concerns on OSX client:

- network lock causes locks on local network

- network lock doesn't stay active after client is closed and restarted (or after OS restarts) - which is a serious security issue if you are running bittorrent clients on server machines

I know there's a "kill switch" script for viscosity client, but so far I wasn't able to get viscosity to run on SSL connections, which is necessary for me as my ISP heavily throttles openvpn connections.

Is there any official statement regarding the network lock feature from airvpn? There are multiple useres reporting troubles with the feature even in the newest 2.8 client spread over various topics and threads.

My two man concerns on OSX client:

- network lock causes locks on local network

- network lock doesn't stay active after client is closed and restarted (or after OS restarts) - which is a serious security issue if you are running bittorrent clients on server machines

I know there's a "kill switch" script for viscosity client, but so far I wasn't able to get viscosity to run on SSL connections, which is necessary for me as my ISP heavily throttles openvpn connections.

Hello!

Network Lock is explained here:

https://airvpn.org/topic/12175-network-lock

A warning note: if Network Lock survived a reboot, your dedicated or virtual server would risk to become inaccessible if at reboot OpenVPN, for any reason, failed to connect to some VPN server. In this case, if you didn't have physical access to your server, you would need an intervention from the datacenter technicians. There are other factors which make permanent modifications to your system dangerous.

Until now, we have followed the philosophy to interfere with your system settings only while the client is running. If the client shuts down properly (but not if it is killed without grace, or if it crashes), or at reboot, all the previous systems settings are restored. In this way we do not interfere permanently with your system (a thing which can be very problematic in some cases) and at the same time we leave the freedom to implement a "permanent lock" as default setting which is restored when client shuts down or after a reboot.

Kind regards

I am sorry but how does this help in the simple problem that the configuration you apply to the Windows firewall blocks normal *local* traffic and access to shared folders on the *local* network?

Are you trying to protect us from ourselves?

Also, programs are asking for the same permissions over and over, everytime the network lock is deactivated. You said you would look into that but I see no mention of this on 2.8's changelog.

If you're using Windows you can add manually a rule to windows firewall and it will work after the lockdown.

Control Panel>Firewall>Advanced> on the left side is Inbound rules (AirVPN in - Allow Local AllowVPN), you choose a new rule, select "Predefined", then "Network Discovery", and untick all but the ones you need - I only have "Network Discovery (UPnP) in Public profile.

That's all

I don't know how to make this permanently though.

Guest JWW

Sorry to chime in (as another with Network Lock issues), but do your problems here have anything to do with the fact the Network Lock disables Network Discovery & File and Printer Sharing in Windows? I've had similar issues and that was the cause thus, for me, Network Lock is not usable.