Not connected, Your IP: 54.197.64.207

Seedboxes discussion

I'm currently "investigating" the pros and cons of different seedboxes. 

Trying to get as much "bang for the buck" as possible

Anyone got any seedboxes they can reccommend?

My "needs" are at least 100mbit, 250Gb diskspace and fast FTP access to it.

Preferably located In EU. My budget I guess is about 10-15$ a month.

Only tried one so far, found a coupon and gave it a try, but the FTP-speed from it was very disappointing. 

Only getting 10-30% of my max speed.

This provider is http://pulsedmedia.com/

Apparantly there's a lot of "scam" going on, where they share the connection you rent with more people than they say so people get shitty speed.

Not saying pulsedmedia necessarily do this tho

Anyone care to share any experiences?

I asked staff, and we're allowed to discuss seedbox providers

One Seedbox company that I have heard many good things about is Whatbox.ca. They are based in Canada but have seedboxes in the U.S. and the Netherlands. This link https://whatbox.ca/plans shows their plans and it looks like they have one that fits your criteria. I have personally contacted there staff about 3 weeks ago and they answered me quickly and were very polite. Much like the AirVPN staff. 

On a side note. There was an article on Torrentfreak where they were interviewed about copyright issues. They stated that when they get a valid notice they send a message to the user asking them to remove said file from their seedbox. However, if Whatbox gets a notice that a certain company wants to sue the user of the copyrighted material then they will contact the user and tell them to remove ALL content from their seedbox and they will cancel your account and you won't have any further trouble. Except, you will need to find another seedbox. However, according to people  know who use Whatbox they have had no such problems. 

So I'll leave a link to their site and you can take a look at Whatbox for yourself. Hope I helped! 

https://whatbox.ca/

I used this in the past: http://dediseedbox.com/. I would be honest with you, I had it only for a month, but it is way better than seedstuff.ca (I had a 1 week trial). The $15 plan is more than what you need. I liked the fact that I could even watch movies directly in the seedbox, without having to download it on my computer ( I can tell ot was very a real time saver).

However, they do not have a public TOS. I emailed the regarding data privacy and responded the usual stuff that if they receive a notice they will ask you to remove the torrent. However, they said that will cancel your account if do "something highly illegal" (which in my opinion is quite odd since I can only seed torrents - which illegal, but I can not do anything else).

Anyway it depends what you need.

Cheers mate!

Why don't you guys just buy a mini, entry-level dedicated server and set up the torrent software yourself?

It is very easy to set up rTorrent + gui, or Transmission on any Linux/BSD box...

The advantages are numerous, first of all you are in control of everything that goes on, second - the bandwidth is guaranteed.

One big EU company is called Online.net :

http://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server/dedibox-scg2

Check this 9.99 Euro offer for example.

Cheers

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

Why don't you guys just buy a mini, entry-level dedicated server and set up the torrent software yourself?

It is very easy to set up rTorrent + gui, or Transmission on any Linux/BSD box...

The advantages are numerous, first of all you are in control of everything that goes on, second - the bandwidth is guaranteed.

Cheers

I know nothing at all about linux/unix and all that.

I imagine this being a real hassle for a "noob" like me

Cheers

Well, might be that a bit risky, don't you think? For instance, what happens when you receive DMCA complaints (probably you just remove the torrent), but what if they go beyond that.... Don't you are more responsible with the content that you seed because you purchase the server directly from the datacenter, instead having a 3rd party that takes a bitt of risk themselves by offering this kind of services.

I am not very sure on this subject. On this matter I think a more informed person should be entitled to respond, but I have some doubts regarding your online privacy.

On the other side, for sure you will get better performances on a dedicated server that you configure it yourself.

Cheers

Well, might be that a bit risky, don't you think? For instance, what happens when you receive DMCA complaints (probably you just remove the torrent), but what if they go beyond that.... Don't you are more responsible with the content that you seed because you purchase the server directly from the datacenter, instead having a 3rd party that takes a bitt of risk themselves by offering this kind of services.

Hello,

seedboxes are dedicated to share files that are not necessarily protected by restrictive copyright. Ideally a DMCA complaint in the USA should be received only if there is a copyright infringement (yes, we know there are so many mistakes with wrong notices and copyright trolls around, but that's another story). Given the initial message of this thread, it should not be assumed that a seedbox is used in any illegal way. For clarity purposes we should keep this thread focused on technical usages (or installation) of seedboxes and reviews of services, while a voluntary infringing usage of seedboxes should be discussed elsewhere.

Kind regards

Avoid pulsedmedia. Switched off all transfers and got decent ftp-speeds and was actually pretty content, then i used another coupon code to buy a 100mbit upload/1gbit DL box instead.

Torrent upload is worse than before and torrent download speed is exactly like with the other one ..... It was supposed to be an upgrade

Tried it with a 7gig torrent with 350 seeds and 25 peers.....

avoidavoidavoid   

Moved over to tuvix ( www.tuvixhosting.com ) And Im very happy

Good speeds (actual gbit connection, downloading at 55 MB/s )

Not so good speeds at first but they moved me to another server with no hesitation and now its great.

A lot more polite support than on the previous provider.

Considering trying out www.seedboxes.cc before I make a 6/12 month order with tuvix though.

Read only good things about them  (both)

EDIT:

I now tried out seedboxes.cc

Holy shiiet. 20gbit/20gbit shared, insane speeds. 

A bit more expensive though but i think ill stick with them 

Yeah, seedboxes.cc.  I told you.  ;-)  I usually catch torrents right when they are announced via irssi bot...but when I d/l a torrent with a lot of seeders I reach 100MB/s.  vampire box using rtorrent

Tried a total of 3 providers. While seedboxes.cc has the waaaay fastest down/upload, it doesnt provide stability that tuvixhosting has for me. 

Really crazy speeds but it's throttled or something for me, because the speed drops, so when i compare my tuvix box to my .cc box, after an extended period of time, I have uploaded more with tuvix.

Bought a long subscription

I have "unmetred" connection and was wondering if anyone know about some (legal) torrent that I could "donate" my box bandwidth to?

Some freeware/shareware/opensource thing that could need any help with seeding?

I have "unmetred" connection and was wondering if anyone know about some (legal) torrent that I could "donate" my box bandwidth to?

Some freeware/shareware/opensource thing that could need any help with seeding?

Try it with some linux distros like OpenSuse, Ubuntu, Mint, Tails and so on.

Tried a total of 3 providers. While seedboxes.cc has the waaaay fastest down/upload, it doesnt provide stability that tuvixhosting has for me. 

Really crazy speeds but it's throttled or something for me, because the speed drops, so when i compare my tuvix box to my .cc box, after an extended period of time, I have uploaded more with tuvix.

I have a 1 month subscription with seedboxes.cc. But how safe is a seedbox? I feel much safer downloading/seeding from my home connection while connected via AirVPN. Before I was always using the usenet. But sharing the files with others is much more fun.

I have a 1 month subscription with seedboxes.cc. But how safe is a seedbox? I feel much safer downloading/seeding from my home connection while connected via AirVPN. Before I was always using the usenet. But sharing the files with others is much more fun.

sign up for seedbox with a fake name, pay with bitcoin you bought with cash, and keep using VPN to retrive stuff from seedbox.

If you have ratio problems just use public trackers and hide behind a VPN.

That way you don't need to spend cash on a seedbox.

I know this must be a very elementary question. But, since I don't know the answer, I would like some help.

When you go to a torrent site, how can I tell that their trackers are public or private?

Sure, some seedboxex ban public trackers. That's fine with me as long as I know how to tell a tracker is public or private.

Private: you got to register/log in. Most of the time you can't register without an invite

ZPKZ is correct. Apart from that, private trackers will usually serve you personalized torrent files and also disable DHT/PEX for their torrents to prevent them from being shared publicly. Most torrent clients will show you detailed information on your torrents, for example Transmission: "Privacy: Private to this tracker -- DHT and PEX disabled."

all of my content is released under CC-BY-SA 2.0

Ultraseebox.com.

pretty good for the money, I still usenet (which by the way if you use a usenet service on 443 or 563 wouldn't that conflict with AirVpn connection?)

I used them because i can get up to 4mb/s and at home im lucky to get 10mbit down.

Once at the seedbox i used  their sFTP and no once know any different.

if you use a usenet service on 443 or 563 wouldn't that conflict with AirVpn connection?

I'm using UDP port 53 to connect to AirVPN's servers. UDP/53 is the standard DNS port and there are no DNS conflicts whatsoever.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

if you use a usenet service on 443 or 563 wouldn't that conflict with AirVpn connection?

I'm using UDP port 53 to connect to AirVPN's servers. UDP/53 is the standard DNS port and there are no DNS conflicts whatsoever.

AWESOME!!

I will set that up that way.

AWESOME!!

I will set that up that way.

Cool. But what I wanted to say is that it doesn't matter. If you connect via TCP port 80 your browser will still work although TCP/80 is the standard port for HTTP.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Ok

Let's expand on this.

Currently with no vpn I use sab and my Usenet provider with 50 connections and I used port 443 ssl.

From my isp perspective all they are seeing is they up they assigned me and 50 ssl connections to a server in Germany.

So it it would matter what I use? Correct?

However since I am going be using a pfsense box it won't matter since I recently found out that using the ssl option will not work when using the openvpn file to configure the firewall.

Sorry for all the rambling just wanting some feedback.