Not connected, Your IP: 54.224.90.25

Overview

We host a XMPP (Jabber) server, with A-A security rating. We recommend to use only OTR compatible client.

It's available for free to every member of this website.

This forum is open to already available or new guides, tutorials or discussions (even about XEP).

Recommended client

OS X: Adium
Windows, Linux: Pidgin
Android: Xabber

Is there a MUC service also?

Somewhere everyone can hangout, with different rooms covering different topics of interest?

Somewhere everyone can hangout, with different rooms covering different topics of interest?

Yes! The AirVPN XMPP server does allow its users to create chat rooms. This feature has not seen much usage yet but you can try it out by joining the room "lounge" or by creating your own room.

all of my content is released under CC-BY-SA 2.0

Yes! The AirVPN XMPP server does allow its users to create chat rooms. This feature has not seen much usage yet but you can try it out by joining the room "lounge" or by creating your own room.

Cheers sheivoko, found it now.

Hopefully it'll gain some pace over time!

We host a XMPP (Jabber) server, with A-A security rating. We recommend to use only OTR compatible client.

Its now a B-B rating.

Its now a B-B rating.

Hello!

Sorry for the delay.

It was downgraded to B rating due to a new DH size limit for A rating.

We upgraded our ejabberd to 15.10 and applied a 2048 bit DH key (4096 bit sizes have compatibility issues).

Now it's again A-A rating.

Kind regards

A version for iOS?

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. —George Orwell

The further society drifts from truth the more it hates those who speak it. —George Orwell

A lie is as good as the truth when everyone believes.

No one ever lost a dime underestimating the intelligence of the amerikan public. {Generally attributed to H.L. Mencken}

THANK YOU: Russia Today; Edward Snowden; Julian Assange; John Kiriakou; Thomas Drake; William Binney; Ray McGovern; Kirk Wiebe; Matt Taibbi; Sputnik News

What I had to do to login with Pidgin 2.12.0 on Xubuntu 18.04.3 was fill out connect server: under [Advanced} with xmpp.airvpn.org.

Only just seen this thread! Great to hear you have a server! I haven't used xmpp much because I always doubted the server owners, but if Air runs one, I am IN :)
If we assume we can trust Air completely (I do)
, I would think is comparable to Signal in terms of privacy? At least better than Wire which I use currently?!

16 hours ago, Terry Stanford said:
If we assume we can trust Air completely (I do), I would think is comparable to Signal in terms of privacy? At least better than Wire which I use currently?!

No, because XMPP is usually unencrypted by default. You need to explicitly turn that on.
And also no because the server is unfederated and therefore communication is only possible between AirVPN users.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Since OMEMO is an implementation of the protocol Signal uses, yes, it's on par with Signal, barring implementation errors, that is. :)

Good to see that there is a XMPP (aka Jabber) server. Sad that it did not federate as I run my own Prosody based. Basically XMPP works great in daily use (with OTR and OMEMO). The notification using iOS is a little tricky. 

Took me 20 min to set up an account, because I did not guess that I needed to touch the already-lit checkmark when done.  Then I finally realized I could not make up a password for this service and would need to use my Air account password.  Entering my Air password in a non-Air (iOS) app is a nonstarter for me securitywise - who is this app developer Chris Ballinger? - so I deleted the app and made a pot of tea.

I'll be rooting for this new service to fail so that things stay in the forum where I can see them.  Sorry.

3 hours ago, SurprisedItWorks said:

Entering my Air password in a non-Air (iOS) app is a nonstarter for me securitywise - who is this app developer Chris Ballinger? - so I deleted the app and made a pot of tea.

No idea who is it as I have no idea which app you used. On the other hand, why you trust Apple and you seriously have for all used services a iOS app from the service providers. Is a long topic to discuss in detail but you have to trust on basic things like the app store of Apple.

Maybe the service fails here but it is a good service outside here with a small foodprint on a home router (just imagine WhatsApp started using Jabber / XMPP using ejabberd).

But yes, Monal which is a OMEMO only app and - as it looks - it did not handle all things as it should, it complains about missing DNS records. And also about syncing problems.

2 hours ago, nawi said:

just imagine WhatsApp started using Jabber / XMPP using ejabberd

Source?

5 hours ago, SurprisedItWorks said:

I'll be rooting for this new service to fail so that things stay in the forum where I can see them.  Sorry.

Salty today, are we? :) If you don't see the value of a service, don't use it. Live and let live. People looking from other corners of the world see the world differently.

Yeah, bit salty today indeed. :unsure:
And for clarification, the app was ChatSecure Messenger, which someone above linked to in the App store.  But it looks to me like the issue I had with it is going to be there for any app not created by Air or at least recommended by them.  Same reason I stopped using tthe DNSCloak app awhile back.  No known-trustworthy provenance, which matters if I'm going to expose my entire DNS-lookup history.

11 hours ago, nawi said:

Oh, I misinterpreted your previous post as "they recently started using ejabberd". You're right, they did start with it, but today use Erlang OTP with Facebook networking. TIL. Thank you :)

28 minutes ago, OpenSourcerer said:
[ … ] but today use Erlang OTP with Facebook networking. TIL. Thank you :)
Welcome. Yes, otherwise (if the systems would still be open to the world) their business model would not work. 

OT On the other hand it shows what FLOSS software could do for the community and which things are possible. For example the http://libertree.org/ project shows that it is possible to use XMPP to federate social media instances. (https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Libertree with the original but dead link of the above project).