Not connected, Your IP: 3.147.69.57
glennwy1980

Port forwarding for video surveillance dvr

I'm at a remote location that only offers hughesnet gen4 which does not allow port forwarding.

I have two completely separate systems in place. One is at the main house, this system is a pc based dvr which will allow me to remote in using a desktop application like teamviewer.

However the problem is at the barn. I have a pre built dvr "everfocus" that requires a port to be open in order to remote view.

Is there any way I could use air to provide me with an ip that will not change and have a forwarded port? Im also being told the dvr will not accept a ddns other than one from their server or dyn.

Thanks for the help

You can use DDNS but only if your DVR connects to AirVPN.

Prior to adding a port in Forwarded ports, type a name you would like to be reachable with into the DDNS field, for example, myserver.

After some waiting for name propagation you will be reachable through myserver.airdns.org.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Warning: some speculation ahead.

It sounds like it would be possible using Air's port forwarding and dynamic DNS features, if I understand the situation correctly. But it might not be the easiest or best solution.

Unless the DVR supports using VPNs natively you would need a router of some sort to run OpenVPN on; either a consumer/home router running something like DD-WRT, or a spare PC acting as router. (I expect pfSense_fan can fill you in on the second alternative.)

The DVR would connect, on the inside, to the local network that the router provides. From the outside, you would be able to connect, via the Air server, and via the router, to the DVR on the local network.

Potential downsides:

It's a bit complicated. You'd have to set up port forwardings with Air, fiddle with the router and set up port forwarding there too... If you haven't done any networking stuff before it might be better to just throw money at the problem. Something like Dropcam could be an option. (Never used it myself, but heard good things.)

If you want to use Air for anything else simultaneously (for your PC or laptop at home or away) I'm not sure this would work. Maybe Air is working on something that would make it possible, but it seems tricky to get right.

And this would mean putting the DVR on the public Internet, which might have security implications. (As I understand it, these sort of things often have awful security, and some people have learned to exploit that. On the other hand, spying on a barn probably won't be that exciting.)

Im also being told the dvr will not accept a ddns other than one from their server or dyn.

What does this mean, and who is "they"? (Is it the vendor, and do they provide a service to connect remotely that only works in conjunction with their servers? If the DVR is usable locally, on a network, it might work anyway - to the DVR things ought to look just like someone on the local network is trying to connect.)

Apologies in advance for any dumb mistakes, didn't get enough sleep last night.