Not connected, Your IP: 13.59.182.74
Sign in to follow this  
Thorson

OpenVpn v2.3 Supports IPv6

​I was under the impression that IPv6 was *worse* for anonymity? Isn't the MAC Address part of the header info? No thanks if true.

If you're on an IPv6 only connection, you don't really have a choice not to use it.

But having IPv6 support would mean you could at least get an IPv4 exit adress through Air, so this sounds like good news for the future.

JamesDean, I think the host part can be either the extended mac-id or it can be some randomly generated number. You can set your dhcp6 server to go either way. The way I read that openvpn page is that IPv6 as the transport carries your data to the provider (AIR), which is good because IPv6 is faster than IPv4, and then what happens at the provider is determined by them.

I think they could map you to another IPv6 address, but I'm definitely not the expert on this. This is exciting because IPv6 is so much faster. Hopefully the AIR people are looking at this.

I've heard people (experts) comment that the IPv4-IPv6 thing will be like the analog-digital television conversion.. civil authorities will set some date when the world shuts off IPv4, then everything goes IPv6 on that date, ready or not.

There's a technology called Direct Access developed by Microsoft which is just like VPN, but somehow I don't get warm fuzzy feelings about trusting my anonymity to the evil empire. I'd rather stick with OpenVPN.

Nice thread,I've been wondering about how IPv6 is going to affect my anonymity while surfing.

On the surface it looks like IPv6 is too 'official' to me and makes things overly easy for any monitoring or logging type people out there but if we had a VPN exit point that could take over IPv6  duties for us when the time comes that would be something.