Not connected, Your IP: 3.81.23.50

God, I'm so lost... I just got a Raspberry Pi B+ board and it's my introduction to the world of Linux. I'm attempting to use it as a always on torrent box, with USB storage drive on samba. It will be headless and already running tightvnc.

I am absolutely lost and don't even know how to install AirVPN on my Raspberry Pi. I looked in the configuration generator and want to use Cephei server, and know I have to tick the advance box, but what do I select on

Advanced

-Separate keys/certs from .ovpn file

-Bundle executables: No64 bit32 bit

-Resolved hosts in .ovpn file

-All servers for area region

-Filename Prefix:

-Custom directives:

Then after I download the package, where do I put it and how do I install it on my Raspberry Pi? I'm too much in a Windows state of mind with a setup.exe to wrap my head around it right now.

Can someone please give me some dumbed down step by step instructions on installing from beginning to end? I need baby steps and command line commands....

I appreciate any and all help. Thanks

PS. I'm running Rasparian on the RPi

Firstly install the openvpn package on your raspberry pi using sudo apt-get install openvpn which means that you do not then need to select any advanced options.

Generate your configuration files selecting the server you want, the connection protocols you want to use and download it onto your windows machine.

Then you can transfer your config file using a program called pscp which is here.

You have to run this from your command line on your windows pc you do this by pressing the windows key and R at the same time and then entering cmd.exe in the newly appeared box. Double clicking the .exe file will just flash the program up and exit.

The basics of the pscp command are here.

C:\Users\Foo\Downloads\pscp.exe C:\Users\Foo\Downloads\AirVPN_CA-Cephei_UDP-443.ovpn pi@192.168.0.33:

^                                                                     ^                                                       ^

The location of pscp.exe                             The location of your config file.                    The username and ip of your raspberry pi.

Once you have opened your command prompt you can simply drag the pscp.exe file onto your cmd window. This will copy the files location into the cmd box.

It should look like this.

Next enter a space after the .exe and drag the config file onto the window again.

It should look like this.

Add a space to the command and the final piece of the command is your raspberry pi username and local ip address. You may already know this as you have connected using tightvnc so it is basically pi @ and the ip you use to conect to your pi.

pi@192.168.0.30:

So the whole command should look like

Press enter and the program should prompt you for a password - use the one you use to connect to the raspberry pi.

After transferring the file it will successfully be on the raspberry pi in your home directory. You can check this by ensuring you are in the home directory by entering the command cd into your ssh client and then ls which will list the files present there should be an .ovpn file there.

Alternatively you could check that the file is there using the file manager that is present on raspbian using your tightvnc client.

Then it is a case of following this. Which tells you to run the command sudo openvpn foo.ovpn where foo is your configuration files name, which should be AirVPN_CA-Cephei_UDP-443

So sudo openvpn AirVPN_CA-Cephei_UDP-443.ovpn which will run attempt to connect you to the vpn.

Thanks for your help. I got it running and I think I over researched the set up... All the Linux tutorials I've read about it were pretty lengthy and I got overwhelmed. Appears the configuration generator eliminated most of the leg work...

After reading your post, it put it into perspective. Thanks again.

Firstly install the openvpn package on your raspberry pi using sudo apt-get install openvpn which means that you do not then need to select any advanced options.

Generate your configuration files selecting the server you want, the connection protocols you want to use and download it onto your windows machine.

Then you can transfer your config file using a program called pscp which is here.

You have to run this from your command line on your windows pc you do this by pressing the windows key and R at the same time and then entering cmd.exe in the newly appeared box. Double clicking the .exe file will just flash the program up and exit.

The basics of the pscp command are here.

C:\Users\Foo\Downloads\pscp.exe C:\Users\Foo\Downloads\AirVPN_CA-Cephei_UDP-443.ovpn pi@192.168.0.33:

^                                                                     ^                                                       ^

The location of pscp.exe                             The location of your config file.                    The username and ip of your raspberry pi.

Once you have opened your command prompt you can simply drag the pscp.exe file onto your cmd window. This will copy the files location into the cmd box.

It should look like this. attachicon.gif1.gif

Next enter a space after the .exe and drag the config file onto the window again.

It should look like this. attachicon.gif2.gif

Add a space to the command and the final piece of the command is your raspberry pi username and local ip address. You may already know this as you have connected using tightvnc so it is basically pi @ and the ip you use to conect to your pi.

pi@192.168.0.30:

So the whole command should look like attachicon.gif3.gif

Press enter and the program should prompt you for a password - use the one you use to connect to the raspberry pi.

After transferring the file it will successfully be on the raspberry pi in your home directory. You can check this by ensuring you are in the home directory by entering the command cd into your ssh client and then ls which will list the files present there should be an .ovpn file there.

Alternatively you could check that the file is there using the file manager that is present on raspbian using your tightvnc client.

Then it is a case of following this. Which tells you to run the command sudo openvpn foo.ovpn where foo is your configuration files name, which should be AirVPN_CA-Cephei_UDP-443

So sudo openvpn AirVPN_CA-Cephei_UDP-443.ovpn which will run attempt to connect you to the vpn.

Thanks for this writeup.  How do I set it up so that the connection will only go through the VPN, ie if the VPN disconnects then there is no internet connection?