Not connected, Your IP: 3.19.31.73
Sign in to follow this  
Staff

Eddie 2.4beta available

Hello!

We're very glad to inform you that a new Eddie Air client version has been released: 2.4beta. Please read the changelogs: https://airvpn.org/services/changelog.php?software=client&format=html

2.4beta version is compatible with several Linux distributions. For very important notes about environments, please read here: https://airvpn.org/forum/35-client-software-platforms-environments

Planned next steps: Network Leaks Protection implementation. It was not possible to implement it in this version, we apologize for the delay. The NLP feature is in advanced development and keeps highest priority, but in the meantime we preferred to optimize the release cycle and deploy a version with some bug fixes and new features and a re-compiled OpenVPN (see note below) for additional security and comfort.

Eddie 2.4beta Linux can be downloaded here: https://airvpn.org/linux
Eddie 2.4beta Windows can be downloaded here: https://airvpn.org/windows
Eddie 2.4beta OS X can be downloaded here: https://airvpn.org/macosx

PLEASE NOTE: Eddie packages now include an OpenVPN version re-compiled by us with OpenSSL 1.0.1i for security reasons and to fix this bug: https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/ticket/328

Eddie 2.4beta is free and open source software released under GPLv3

Kind regards & datalove
AirVPN Staff

Eddie 2.4 is running well on Mac OSX 10.9.4

The problems I had with the previous versions seem to be gone.

Good work AirVPN team! 

Fedora 20.   Uninstalled Eddie 2.3.   Installed Eddie 2.4 without any problem. Retained log-in details and preferences.  It runs well.

Windows 7.  Installed over Eddie 2.3.  Lost log-in details as well as all preferences.  It is running well.

On both versions, the new "Do you really want to exit" screen is annoying.  Is there any way to disable it or make it optional in future releases?

I really appreciate your work on Eddie - - a real improvement over version 1.x.

No good. linux 12.04. Disconnecting loop..

2014.08.22 19:54:21 - OpenVPN > Initialization Sequence Completed
! 2014.08.22 19:54:21 - Flushing DNS
! 2014.08.22 19:54:21 - Checking route
 2014.08.22 19:54:31 - The request timed out
! 2014.08.22 19:54:31 - Disconnecting
. 2014.08.22 19:54:31 - Management - Send 'signal SIGTERM'
. 2014.08.22 19:54:31 - OpenVPN > MANAGEMENT: CMD 'signal SIGTERM'
. 2014.08.22 19:54:31 - OpenVPN > SIGTERM received, sending exit notification to peer
. 2014.08.22 19:54:31 - OpenVpn Management > >INFO:OpenVPN Management Interface Version 1 -- type 'help' for more info
. 2014.08.22 19:54:31 - OpenVpn Management > SUCCESS: signal SIGTERM thrown
. 2014.08.22 19:54:36 - OpenVPN > /sbin/route del -net 10.4.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.255
. 2014.08.22 19:54:36 - OpenVPN > /sbin/route del -net 95.211.191.33 netmask 255.255.255.255
. 2014.08.22 19:54:36 - OpenVPN > /sbin/route del -net 0.0.0.0 netmask 128.0.0.0
. 2014.08.22 19:54:36 - OpenVPN > /sbin/route del -net 128.0.0.0 netmask 128.0.0.0
. 2014.08.22 19:54:36 - OpenVPN > Closing TUN/TAP interface
. 2014.08.22 19:54:36 - OpenVPN > /sbin/ifconfig tun0 0.0.0.0
. 2014.08.22 19:54:36 - OpenVPN > /usr/lib/AirVPN/update-resolv-conf tun0 1500 1558 10.4.29.138 10.4.29.137 init
. 2014.08.22 19:54:36 - OpenVPN > SIGTERM[soft,exit-with-notification] received, process exiting
. 2014.08.22 19:54:36 - Connection terminated.

Additional information, openvpn version and built, plus configuration.

OpenVPN 2.3.4 i686-pc-linux-gnu [sSL (OpenSSL)] [LZO] [EPOLL] [PKCS11] [MH] [iPv6] built on May  2 2014
library versions: OpenSSL 1.0.1 14 Mar 2012, LZO 2.06
Originally developed by James Yonan
Copyright © 2002-2010 OpenVPN Technologies, Inc. <sales@openvpn.net>
Compile time defines: enable_crypto=yes enable_debug=no enable_def_auth=yes enable_dlopen=unknown enable_dlopen_self=unknown enable_dlopen_self_static=unknown enable_fast_install=yes enable_fragment=yes enable_http_proxy=yes enable_iproute2=no enable_libtool_lock=yes enable_lzo=yes enable_lzo_stub=no enable_management=yes enable_multi=yes enable_multihome=yes enable_pam_dlopen=no enable_password_save=yes enable_pedantic=no enable_pf=yes enable_pkcs11=yes enable_plugin_auth_pam=yes enable_plugin_down_root=yes enable_plugins=yes enable_port_share=yes enable_selinux=no enable_server=yes enable_shared=yes enable_shared_with_static_runtimes=no enable_small=no enable_socks=yes enable_ssl=yes enable_static=yes enable_strict=no enable_strict_options=no enable_systemd=no enable_win32_dll=yes enable_x509_alt_username=no with_crypto_library=openssl with_gnu_ld=yes with_mem_check=no with_plugindir='$(libdir)/openvpn/plugins' with_sysroot=no

Ok wahhh. I did a four hour reconf. openvpn configuration, my focus was on the route delay time-out, and I increased it. No good.

I solved this issue unchecking the default: "checking if tunnel works ok", in the preference menu under the airvpn icon. So far so good.

Linux Mint 17 -- downloaded deb for the new client (correct client identified by the website).  Installed over 2.3, everything works as advertised.  Still have to start the client before the UFW firewall, but that is not critical.

Thanks!

I am still getting the bug where the client will connect to the wrong server. I will either right click and say connect or double click the USA server I want but it will many times connect to a different USA server. The workaround for this is to only whitelist the server I want. If only one server is whitelist it will always connect to that server and not another random USA server. Windows 7 64.

I am still getting the bug where the client will connect to the wrong server. I will either right click and say connect or double click the USA server I want but it will many times connect to a different USA server. The workaround for this is to only whitelist the server I want. If only one server is whitelist it will always connect to that server and not another random USA server. Windows 7 64.

Hello!

It looks like a feature, not a bug. If a connection to a server fails or is lost, it is reasonable to try a different server. However, you can bypass this behavior and at the same time keep any wished whitelist by ticking "Lock current" in the "Servers" tab.

Kind regards

Hi There,

OpenSUSE factory, Gnome 3.12.2

The client connects an works fine until reconnection after sleep/hibernation. A loop often occurs... Connecting - Verfying Route - Disconnecting - Reconnecting.

When a connection is eventually successful the DNS leaks. I have the DNS Switch Mode in Advanced Settings set to Renaming.

This is a potentially critical issue as to all intents and purposes the client says the VPN is connected correctly.

Edit:  When this next happens I will look at the ect/resolv.conf / ect/resolv.conf.airvpn files as I suspect this is where the problem is.

Hi There,

OpenSUSE factory, Gnome 3.12.2

The client connects an works fine until reconnection after sleep/hibernation. A loop often occurs... Connecting - Verfying Route - Disconnecting - Reconnecting.

When a connection is eventually successful the DNS leaks. I have the DNS Switch Mode in Advanced Settings set to Renaming.

This is a potentially critical issue as to all intents and purposes the client says the VPN is connected correctly.

Edit:  When this next happens I will look at the ect/resolv.conf / ect/resolv.conf.airvpn files as I suspect this is where the problem is.

or maybe also: /usr/lib/AirVPN/update-resolv-conf

Running slick on 14.04.  Fingers crossed for a dropped connection, but covering my a@@ with ufw until then.  Good job!!

@epsilon, Regarding the latest Eddie client, I am not facing any DNS leak issues on either Windows or Mac. DNS leak is typically a Windows OS issue. Nonetheless, In the preferences of the client, Under Advanced->General, ensure the following are set -

1. DNS Switch Mode is Automatic

2. Check if tunnel is using AirVPN DNS is set

3. If on WIndows OS, Enable the force DNS checkbox.

It might be possible that when upgrading from 2.3 to 2.4, the previous settings were overwritten. The staff had previously said that from version 2.4 onwards, when upgrading the previous settings will not be lost. So the settings shouldn't be lost when upgrading to 2.5.

There is an existing thread on how to fix DNS leaks (meant for users not using the AirVPN client)- https://airvpn.org/topic/9289-dns-leaks-and-how-to-fix-them/. A particular post in it explains nicely what needs to be done to fix DNS leaks (https://airvpn.org/topic/9289-dns-leaks-and-how-to-fix-them/?do=findComment&comment=11603). I am referencing it cuz it helped me understand what a DNS leak meant.

@strideram Thanks for the reply!

I've made those changes in the AirVPN client and it's still leaking, sadly ://

The links you linked seem to be for windows.. I'll try to find something suited for my OS (Ubuntu)

Hi again,

​OpenSUSE factory, Gnome 3.12.2.

​I reproduced the login loop an subsequent DNS leak - the client says all's good when the DNS is leaking. After looking at /etc/resolve.conf and /etc/resolv.conf.airvpn when the connection is good I cannot see any change in these files when the tunnel is leaking.

​@Choq I cannot find /usr/lib/AirVPN/update-resolv-conf anywhere on my system at all. I have DNS Switch Mode set to automatic, but have only ever seen the renaming method been selected and used if this has any bearing ???

​I Know how renaming /etc/re solv.conf works to prevent DNS leaks, I'm not so sure about how Resolvconf option works, can anyone explain this please.

​I guess the take away from this is the client (2.4) is leaking DNS when reconnecting after sleep/hibernation on my OpenSUSE box. Any more info/details/logs I can provide I'm more than willing to so.

​Thanks

Hi again,

​OpenSUSE factory, Gnome 3.12.2.

​I reproduced the login loop an subsequent DNS leak - the client says all's good when the DNS is leaking. After looking at /etc/resolve.conf and /etc/resolv.conf.airvpn when the connection is good I cannot see any change in these files when the tunnel is leaking.

​@Choq I cannot find /usr/lib/AirVPN/update-resolv-conf anywhere on my system at all. I have DNS Switch Mode set to automatic, but have only ever seen the renaming method been selected and used if this has any bearing ???

​I Know how renaming /etc/re solv.conf works to prevent DNS leaks, I'm not so sure about how Resolvconf option works, can anyone explain this please.

​I guess the take away from this is the client (2.4) is leaking DNS when reconnecting after sleep/hibernation on my OpenSUSE box. Any more info/details/logs I can provide I'm more than willing to so.

​Thanks

Hi, the new airvpn client uses mono. On ubuntu the /usr/lib/AirVPN/update-resolv-conf file exists. I did have a partion with Suse, but I don't use it anymore. Can't check it for you.

On ubuntu  /usr/lib/AirVPN/update-resolv-conf exists for sure.

Via /etc/resolv.conf you can adjust dns servers system-wide: CCC berlin, swiss privacy foundation dns servers, etc. But you prob. know that.

Hi, My system is Windows7 64bit. When installing this latest beta v2.4 is it best to uninstall v2.3 first, and if so do I uninstall both the AirVPN entry as well as the TAP-Windows 9.9.2 entry or is it ok to just install v2.4 over v2.3?.

Hi bluesjunior

you're not a guitarist are you?

I don't think it's necessary to remove the tuntap but it won't do  any harm if you replace both

Hello!

It looks like a feature, not a bug. If a connection to a server fails or is lost, it is reasonable to try a different server. However, you can bypass this behavior and at the same time keep any wished whitelist by ticking "Lock current" in the "Servers" tab.

Kind regards

Thanks. I never noticed the "lock current" option. But it now always connects to the server I ask it to.

Hi bluesjunior

you're not a guitarist are you?

I don't think it's necessary to remove the tuntap but it won't do  any harm if you replace both

I am and thanks for the reply. I ended up just installing the new one over v2.3 and all is well so it's all good here now.

Hm, the 2.4beta Version does not save the login-data. I have to put in py name and pw each time eddie starts up. Is there a solution?

Well, after more than 10 days of hard use the Eddie 2.4 client for Mac OSX 10.9.4 is running very well. No problems to report at all. Hopefully with the next update it stays that way.

Day 2 after upgrading to Eddy 2.4b.  WINx64 (server 2008r2)

Installed over 2.3. It kept all my settings etc even though after reading here I was expecting it not too.

No problems to report yet, maybe it's just my imagination\luck\holiday weekend but seem to be getting slightly better performance\throughput via same server and same connection profile.  

Thumbs up so far.