Not connected, Your IP: 54.160.133.33

Hi guys!

So I am attempting to setup my Transmission bittorrent client with Transdrone (Transdroid) app on Android.

I want to be able to use this android remote app to connect to my desktop (where Transmission is running) while I am connected to this VPN.

So I:

1) Connected to a server (say Server A).

2) Configured port forwarding on AirVPN's site (AirVPN > Client Area > Forwarded ports). Let's say I forwarded port 7712 and 7713.

3) Logged into Transmission and set port 7712 as the Incoming port (Transmission > Preferences > Network) and made sure 'Pick a random port at startup' was unchecked.

4) Allowed remote access (HTTP) from port 7713 and configured username/password authentication. Made sure 'Only allow these IP addresses' was unchecked.

5) Then set my firewall to allow incoming connections from port 7712 and 7713 (TCP).

* I DID NOT log into my router and configure port forwarding for these ports (or any for that matter).

When I hit the 'Test Port' button (Transmission > Network) to test port 7712, it says 'Port is OPEN'. Cool.

-----

So what is my post about? Well there are some instructions on this page that confuse the heck outta me: https://airvpn.org/faq/p2p/

I do not understand what is being communicated here...

"If you forward a port for a p2p torrent client, do NOT remap it to a different local port and make sure that the torrent client port matches the remotely forwarded port number"

- What is meant by "do not remap it to a different local port"? Am I supposed to log into my router and setup port forwarding for port 7712 & 7713?

"do NOT forward on your router the same ports you use on your Bittorrent or eMule client (or any other listening service) while connected to the VPN"

- Doesn't this contradict the previous instruction?

What is the correct way to configure port forwarding so that my P2P client will work with my android remote app? (and seed)

Looks to me like you are good and can ignore those warnings.

The only thing you might consider is setting up a firewall to prevent traffic outside of the tunnel, especially in the event that the encrypted tunnel collapses for some reason.  If you do that, you will have to remember to allow incoming connections on the forwarded port.

The instructions that say not to forward ports on your router are for when you are using a client on a computer.  If you are running VPN from your router then you do need to forward ports on the router.

remapping would be to instruct your firewall to forward port 7712 to, for example, internal port 34000.

If the port forwarding web page gives green light and your torrent client seems happy (you have incoming connections) then all is probably well.

The instructions that say not to forward ports on your router are for when you are using a client on a computer.  If you are running VPN from your router then you do need to forward ports on the router.

remapping would be to instruct your firewall to forward port 7712 to, for example, internal port 34000.

If the port forwarding web page gives green light and your torrent client seems happy (you have incoming connections) then all is probably well.

First off, thank you for your reply. I need to clarify a few things since I am a total greenhorn when it comes to VPNs...

If I am understanding you correctly, when you use the term "client", you are referring to the AirVPN client that is available for Linux? I decided to use Linux Mint/Ubuntu's network-manager(-gnome) along with a generated config file (OpenVPN) via AirVPN's site.

So, since I am NOT using the available client to connect to AirVPN, then I DO need to forward the ports in my router's configuration settings?

I'm also not familiar with the term 'remapping' (I'm sure a quick Google search would yield some insight), nor the difference between a port and an internal port.

I eventually clicked on the 'check' button on the port forwarding page (AirVPN) and got green lights on 7712 and 7713, however, the third port I configured for forwarding did not give me a green light. I am assuming this is because I currently have no program using that port (yet).

I do have successful incoming connections on my bittorrent client. I DO NOT have a successful connection from my android remote to my bittorrent client. I am using port 7713 for that. It is configured on AirVPN's port forwarding page, and again, I have a green light. The connection still fails.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Note: I am using the correct external IP address to attempt to connect the android remote to the bittorrent client on my desktop. I am attempting to connect to it with port 7713.

The only time you forward ports on your router is when it is making the VPN connection.  Since you are using a VPN client in mint then you need to leave your router alone.

I don't know what to say for your other questions.