Not connected, Your IP: 3.238.233.189
Sign in to follow this  
bluesjunior

UPnP or Port Forwarding Question?.

Have been subscribing and using AirVPN now for a week. It is all working okay in general as far as I can tell. My setup is a desk top PC with AirVPN's Eddie  installed through the Windows install as my Buffalo GHR300Nv2, DD-WRT upgraded router doesn't support Open VPN. My OS is Windows 7 64 bit connected to a Virgin Superhub in modem mode and then through the router to the web. While I was setting up my qBittorrent to work through AirVPN the walkthrough I was following said to untick UPnP/NAT-PNP port forwarding from my router. I did this and qBittorrent is working well and downloading fast on the port designated. While browsing something completely different today I came across an article about completely disabling UPnP both in the router and also through Services.msc in Windows itself. When I looked at the UPnP screen in the Buffalo router I see that it is running though something called Teredo.

Not being super talented in this question I decided to post a thread here asking for advice. What is the best way to connect to the internet through UPnP or Port Forwarding. If as I believe it is the Port Forwarding option then how do I configure it in my router?. I include a screenshot of the relevent screen in my routers settings. Thanks in advance for any help/advice offered.

UPnPScreen.png

teredo is a service to allow IPv6 capability for IPv4 connections.  It's coming from your computer, not the router.  That screenshot is showing that the teredo service on your computer has opened up a lot of ports on your router via UPnP communication.

for bittorrent with AirVPN using the AirVPN software on your computer, disable UPnP and NAT-PMP in your bittorrent client (qbittorrent).  Then when you open a port via the AirVPN web page, put the port number it give you in to your client's section regarding port used.  I'm not sure what that looks like for qbitorrent.  For utorrent it's "port used for incoming connections".

When using the AirVPN software on your computer, the router does not need to be configured for port forwarding.  UPnP has nothing to do with what you're trying to accomplish here.  People disable UPnP for safety reasons and probably most do not need the router to have UPnP enabled.

Thank you for the reply. I already have everything set up as you mention, just wasn't sure what all the Teredo entries in my router were for and you have explained that to me. I used the port forwarding option in the client section here and added the number given to the "port used for incoming connections" it is more or less the same in qBittorent being based on the utorrent program. I installed qBittorrent as I use the reviews over at Gizmo's site and it got a higher rating than uTorrent for a reson that escapes me now. Is there anywhere on the AirVPN GUI where I can see that the designated port is actually being used. When I click on the AirVPN GUI all I can see being used is port 443. How do I ascertain that the port designated by AirVPN port forwarding is being used?.