Not connected, Your IP: 3.238.195.81
Red5goahead

AirVPN speed, good but not so good for an vDsl

Hi 

For me there has been a significant improvement since I switched to AirVpn from IbVPN, really another world. However now that I have a Vdsl connection (speednet gives about 70 MBits/s download and 20Mbits/sec upload speed) there seems to be some bottleneck because with a simple wget LibOfficepackage I have a rate of approximately 8.5 MByte/sec. . Through AirVpn, I currently use the client Eddie2.3, I get between 1 and 2 MB/sec. Maximus, also confirmed the speed on torrent that up gets to 2-2.2MByte/sec. I wanted to know if it is normal or is there something to be done to improve performance.

S.o. Linux Mint 17 32bit xfce

note , right now i'm connected to Haedi server, Eddie report 44 users and 75 MBit/sec. total on 1000 (8%) but download seems to have a cap on about 8-10 Mbit/sec.

thanks

ISP: Fastweb IT Gpon (1 Gbit/sec. DW / 200 Mbit/sec. UP)
Modem / router: Fastgate
PC desktop main: Asus M5A97 R 2.0 + AMD FX 6300 + Amd Asus R7 260x (Windows 8.1 64 bit)

Most users experience better performance over port 53. Could you try and report, please?

For me there has been a significant improvement since I switched to AirVpn from IbVPN, really another world. However now that I have a Vdsl connection (speednet gives about 70 MBits/s download and 20Mbits/sec upload speed) there seems to be some bottleneck because with a simple wget LibOfficepackage I have a rate of approximately 8.5 MByte/sec. . Through AirVpn, I currently use the client Eddie2.3, I get between 1 and 2 MB/sec. Maximus, also confirmed the speed on torrent that up gets to 2-2.2MByte/sec. I wanted to know if it is normal or is there something to be done to improve performance.

By the way, I like that font. Looks like Segoe.

I've been using Times New Roman 18 for nine months or so; I think I'll use Trebuchet now, it's similar to Segoe. Thanks! <3

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

port Udp 53 (Grafias) (alternative port only not alternative Entry IP)

100%[======================================>] 211.331.289  738KB/s   in 4m 24s 

2014-07-31 11:45:41 (781 KB/s) - "LibreOffice_4.3.0_Linux_x86_rpm.tar.gz" salvato [211331289/211331289]

maybe worst than 443!

note that without AirVpn download rate it's over than 8.5 MB/s

PC desktop main: Asus M5A97 R 2.0 + AMD FX 6300 + Amd Asus R7 260x (Windows 8.1 64 bit)

by the way, no difference using an openvpn profile in the network manager, generated by the site config generator, instead eddie client . 

about 1 Mbit/sec

Imho test speed test is innacurate. 10,58 mbit. it's not.

What does Speedtest.net show for Out-Tunnel and In-Tunnel speed?

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

I don't think it has anything to do with vdsl. I have  fiber optics internet (100mbit plan) and my ethernet cable directly plugged into my PC (no router)and generally I get (multiple connections maybe necessary) ~11Mbyte. However, regardless of connection's number  I get ~2Mbyte via vpn on any server &  port.  

check this out

https://airvpn.org/topic/12020-strange-test-results-added-test-2-3/?p=19406

Port 53 is atrociuous, same as in your case. I think my ISP might be blocking it or something.

I suggest that you try connecting via SSH port 80 or SSL tunnel (protocols settings). This way I manage to up my speed to ~4Mbyte.

Still, considering that my other test  with another vpn provider shows I get considerably better speed on UDP ports and on TCP ports as well( TCP protocol on air's vpns is really bad in my case.. I can't even reach 1 Mbyte.)

it seems ISP's shaping is not the problem.

I'm still trying to "play" with the client enabling this or that but to no avail.

Maybe it has something to do with the hosting provider. Air uses leaseweb, and another one I tested uses nforce.But I really dunno what might be the reason for this drop in speed. Besides, I checked also german servers and same happens there although I don't remember if german servers are also leaseweb's or not

I confirm that using ssl tunnel, the speed increase, as I told to giganerd in a private conversation. Not too much but significantly (+50%-75%) in particular with torrent stream

Though with ssl there is a more cpu request and with my atom 230 could be an issue. Thank you for the feedback

*** inviato con Tapatalk da LG L9

I confirm that using ssl tunnel, the speed increase, as I told to giganerd in a private conversation. Not too much but significantly. Though with ssl there is a more cpu request and with my atom 230 could be an issue. Thank you for the feedback

*** inviato con Tapatalk da LG L9

Hello!

Our Data Channel cipher is AES-256-CBC. An Atom 230 is probably not able to decrypt/encrypt on the fly much higher throughput than that you already detect. Perhaps you're facing a mixture of traffic shaping and computational limits. We're sorry, we could have detected the cause of the bottleneck much earlier if only we had read your signature more carefully...

Kind regards

No, the problem is not related to Linux desktop based on Atom because I get same download rate (original 8,5 Mbyte vs tunneled 1,5-2 Mbyte) on the main pc with Windows 7 x64 and an FX-6300. the cpu usage during a wget with the Linux/Atom is under 20-25% with an openvpn connection/udp and a little bit higher with an ssl connection (30%-40%) and as I told you with ssl the download rate is higher! Anyway I'm planning to upgrade my Linux server to a Intel Bay trail J1800 or J1900 but my opinion is that Airvpn work fine with a standard adsl connection but not a vdsl or higher, where the difference became substantial. My isp is the italian Fastweb.

the cpu usage wth Linux/Atom (the label are inverted)

KcJMPmN.png

Hello!

If you get higher performance with OpenVPN over SSL then OpenVPN is shaped, because when you use OpenVPN over SSL you don't only add a second tunnel overhead, but you also force OpenVPN to run in TCP, which is significantly slower than UDP.

Kind regards

If you get higher performance with OpenVPN over SSL then OpenVPN is shaped

If openvpn was shaped then I wouldn't get results(see above) I got using another vpn provider though, don't you think?

This is why I'm curious about what actually might be the reason for this.\

PS Just today I've had another mini test run: paysite 4 large video files,  4 downloads, 8 connections per each( judt to be on the safe side, to  push it to the limits)

*** provider :

dp, 8080 netherlands - ~10 Mbyt total.

airvpn:

ssl tunnel ~4 Mbyte total.

udp 80 ~ 3-3.5+ Mbyte

If you get higher performance with OpenVPN over SSL then OpenVPN is shaped

If openvpn was shaped then I wouldn't get results(see above) I got using another vpn provider though, don't you think?

Hello!

It might mean nothing, especially if outbound port is different. The fact that OpenVPN over SSL provides better performance to your node than direct OpenVPN in UDP looks much like an ultimate proof. What is the connection port of the other VPN service?

Kind regards

please help me to undestand this result with Glasnost (no shaping reported)

fastweb (w/o Airvpn)

Onnalwo.png

udp/443 (default)

yvWKLEK.png

tcp/443

ae305u8.png

udp/2018

7FDdMyL.png

ssl/443

wkd78AV.png

ssh/22

2kjBhjY.png

I'm not happy with the result and Airvpn at the moment about speed, ssl/43 seems the better one but however it's one fifth of vdsl connection and with Ssl/443 the udp torrent trackers doesn't work at all!

Hello!

You claim "no traffic shaping" but the results you published point to the opposite direction. They strongly and clearly suggest MASSIVE traffic shaping from FastWeb. And the fact that you get higher performance with OpenVPN over SSL than with UDP direct is paramount.

OpenVPN over SSL has nothing to do with UDP trackers. UDP is encapsulated as usual in the OpenVPN payload (so you have UDP over TCP over TCP).

Kind regards

Hello!

You claim "no traffic shaping" but the results you published point to the opposite direction. They strongly and clearly suggest MASSIVE traffic shaping from FastWeb. And the fact that you get higher performance with OpenVPN over SSL than with UDP direct is paramount.

OpenVPN over SSL has nothing to do with UDP trackers. UDP is encapsulated as usual in the OpenVPN payload (so you have UDP over TCP over TCP).

Kind regards

Not my claim , but by Glasnost!

Some hours ago udp tracker don't work under ssl, that's a fact.

Right now I tried again and it work on Aquilae server, ok.

About ssl connection do you think 10Mbit vs 35-40mbit bandwidth is a good result?

Hello!

Kind regards

Not my claim , but by Glasnost!

Some hours ago udp tracker don't work under ssl, that's a fact.

Hello,

there is no difference for the server to reach UDP trackers, regardless of your connection mode, so the issue must depend on something else.

Right now I tried again and it work on Aquilae server, ok.

About ssl connection do you think 10Mbit vs 35-40mbit bandwidth is a good result?

In some cases it is good. For example (from your signature) with an Atom 230 it is quite good.

Kind regards

>In some cases it is good. For example (from your signature) with an Atom 230 it is quite good.

Probably you've right because I tried on my main computer (Amd FX six-core) and with ssl/443 reach almost the same bandwith of the vdsl connection.

A question about Openvpn , I'm planning to upgrade my server to a Intel bail trail J1900 (quad-core) from actual Atom 230 (single core) to improve the connection over ssl or ssh

According to cpubenchmark

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=603&cmp[]=2131

with single thread application the improvement should be about 200%, much more with a multi-threaded applications

Is it an openvpn connection a multi-threaded application?

Is it an openvpn connection a multi-threaded application?

Hello!

Unfortunately not, OpenVPN does not scale well, and each instance will use one single core. This is an important limitation that will be probably overcome only in the next major release 3.

Kind regards

Ok 

Is there an opportunity to get a connection over ssl with an informed and minor encryption level but with a better balance for cpu like Atom?

Certainly Aes-256 bit cyhper parameter guarantee the best protection but is there any cypher value to use?