Not connected, Your IP: 54.165.248.212
PirateParty

Possible Iceland Server Poll

Icelandic OpenVPN Server  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Is having one a good idea?

• Yes
    • No

This is not an official poll I just want to see what the AirVPN community thinks about the possibility of having an OpenVPN server in Iceland. Iceland is known to be a 'safe haven' for journalists and freedom of speech and I think this would be a great addition to AirVPN's servers for various reasons. I have mentioned this in the past but I want to bring it up again to see what what everyone thinks. So tell me what you guys think of this proposal

Some articles showing why you should tunnel you traffic through Iceland.

Icelandic minister asked “8 or 9” FBI agents to leave country over WikiLeaks

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/06/iceland-a-nexus-for-us-wikileaks-investigations-new-york-times-says/

Iceland aims to become a legal safe haven for journalists

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2010/jul/12/iceland-legal-haven-journalists-immi

NEW LEGISLATION TO PROVIDE EXEMPLARY PROTECTION FOR FREEDOM OF INFORMATION

http://en.rsf.org/islande-nouvel-article-18-06-2010,37771.html

Some more great information: http://ecodissident.net/immi

Iceland is becoming a data haven with the most progressive internet laws in the world, due to the Icelandic Modern Media Initiative, which is now a project of the International Modern Media Institute.

Iceland will become the inverse of a tax haven; by offering journalists and publishers some of the most powerful protections for free speech and investigative journalism in the world. Tax havens aim is to make everything opaque. Our aim is to make everything transparent. — Birgitta Jónsdóttir, the chief sponsor in parliament of the Icelandic Modern Media Initiative.

On 16 June 2010 Iceland's parliament, the Alþinghi, unanimously approved the IMMI resolution. This is a statement, published by Reporters Without Borders, following that approval:

It [the IMMI] regards freedom of expression as a fundamental right and would create optimal conditions for investigative journalism. We hope this will serve as an example to other governments. It is certainly a promising departure from the general tendency, especially in democratic countries, for press freedom to be eroded and for harassment of journalists and their sources to increase.

I have to admit it sounds great.  AirVpn is pretty smart about this stuff.  Although the articles make Iceland sound like a "snowden hideout", there must be some kind of limited datacenter or hardware issues keeping Air out of there.  Maybe the costs of bandwidth are out of line.  I don't know but I trust that if its economically and securely feasible Air would go there.

Again, interesting reading and it'll be nice to hear Air respond.  I didn't vote because my vote would only be for "would I like a server there?"  Who wouldn't as a user??

I have to admit it sounds great.  AirVpn is pretty smart about this stuff.  Although the articles make Iceland sound like a "snowden hideout", there must be some kind of limited datacenter or hardware issues keeping Air out of there.  Maybe the costs of bandwidth are out of line.  I don't know but I trust that if its economically and securely feasible Air would go there.

Again, interesting reading and it'll be nice to hear Air respond.  I didn't vote because my vote would only be for "would I like a server there?"  Who wouldn't as a user??

I have talked to Air about this before and they said they were considering it, I also hope to hear a status update on this.

Bandwidth in Iceland is also expensive indeed.

DataCell is the only provider I have found that offers unlimited bandwidth on their servers. https://www.datacell.com/hosting/virtual-servers/

It's funny how DataCell claims to provide "ethical hosting" while they are using Apple computers for their servers.

It's funny how DataCell claims to provide "ethical hosting" while they are using Apple computers for their servers.

That wouldn't really make a difference what brand of servers they use.

Wrong. Apple computers are assembled in China under so poor conditions, that workers constantly try to commit suicide there.

Wrong. Apple computers are assembled in China under so poor conditions, that workers constantly try to commit suicide there.

So yeah, it wouldn't really make a difference what brand of servers they use.

Sadly most computers are made like this though, probably the computer you are using now has parts made in China or was assembled there entirely.

My mainboard was assembled in Malaysia and I'm not an Apple user. What I know is that Malaysia is worse than China..

CnMemory is a german company specialized in assembling RAM and other memory products. They produced them in Germany until they've been bought by a korean company. Now they produce their chips and RAMs in another country. It's hard to get "right" things in a country like Germany.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Hello,

I think an Iceland server would be great. However, Iceland has applied to join the EU in the near future.

For those who live in the EU, this would mean Iceland is not really a separate jurisdiction from the EU (when Iceland actually becomes part of the EU). For those living outside the EU, it would still be a good server location.

Iceland has great freedom of the press (Wikileaks has already been mentioned; also they offered citizenship and a refuge for Snowden), so it will be interesting to see after Iceland joins the EU if anything changes in regards to such freedoms.

Just my two cents,

anonym

Sadly most computers are made like this though, probably the computer you are using now has parts made in China or was assembled there entirely.

I didn't say that only Apple produces computers that way. I just said that you can't claim to provide "ethical hosting", when your server architecture is made in a poor working environment.

Hello,

I think an Iceland server would be great. However, Iceland has applied to join the EU in the near future.

For those who live in the EU, this would mean Iceland is not really a separate jurisdiction from the EU (when Iceland actually becomes part of the EU). For those living outside the EU, it would still be a good server location.

Iceland has great freedom of the press (Wikileaks has already been mentioned; also they offered citizenship and a refuge for Snowden), so it will be interesting to see after Iceland joins the EU if anything changes in regards to such freedoms.

Just my two cents,

anonym

Seriously? I thought the Ukrainian crisis caused by the US and it's lapdog EU would have shown that entering the EU is one of the worst things a country can do.

Seriously? I thought the Ukrainian crisis caused by the US and it's lapdog EU would have shown that entering the EU is one of the worst things a country can do.

I don't think it's up to the countries anymore. It's up to the highest bidder.

And the US is often the highest bidder. They were in Afghanistan, in Lybia, Syria. They now are in Ukraine.

Even if the US shoots itself in the foot by being the highest bidder. They will continue because they know they can take more from the contry than they spent.

TTIP and proxy services won't be friends. I hope Iceland will stay away as long as it can.

More servers is always a good idea but remember the NSA taps fibers right at the source. Sweden would give them open access to their territory for this purpose and that means they could intercept data on the way to Iceland very easily. We really need some servers in South America and maybe even Africa, far away from the prying of five eyes.

I don't think it's up to the countries anymore. It's up to the highest bidder.

And the US is often the highest bidder. They were in Afghanistan, in Lybia, Syria. They now are in Ukraine.

Even if the US shoots itself in the foot by being the highest bidder. They will continue because they know they can take more from the contry than they spent.

TTIP and proxy services won't be friends. I hope Iceland will stay away as long as it can.

It doesn't have to be "up to the highest bidder". If the population of a country gets some guns and demands the government to stop this, they have no choice but to do what they want.

It doesn't have to be "up to the highest bidder". If the population of a country gets some guns and demands the government to stop this, they have no choice but to do what they want.

Tell me about a country which successfully has done so.

More servers is always a good idea but remember the NSA taps fibers right at the source. Sweden would give them open access to their territory for this purpose and that means they could intercept data on the way to Iceland very easily. We really need some servers in South America and maybe even Africa, far away from the prying of five eyes.

That is why we should all befriend cryptography, it wouldn't matter if data was passing through UK/Sweden fiber. 

Tell me about a country which successfully has done so.

This is an example but was a long time ago. The American Revolution!

It's an example, but I thought you would name something more.. recent. Maybe in the last 50 years where the US started to fulfil it's plan to rule over the whole world.

It's an example, but I thought you would name something more.. recent. Maybe in the last 50 years where the US started to fulfil it's plan to rule over the whole world.

Where exactly is the difference between "a recent example" and the american revolution?

Where exactly is the difference between "a recent example" and the american revolution?

Time. Because then the US was nothing but a country west of Spain/Portugal, on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean.

Now that's not the topic here. A server launch in Iceland is a quite good idea. My twenty-two cents.

Can the AirVPN staff give us an official response to this?

Well, have you obtained an official answer?

"You do not have permission to vote in this poll."

???

Well, I guess I have to vote 'YES' by saying it here. So, YES, server in Iceland would be nice.