Not connected, Your IP: 54.198.34.207

I connect to AirVPN using the network-manager applet on Fedora 20 x64. I have a couple of ports forwarded, which are manually allowed in Fedora's firewall and entered into qBittorrent (latest v3.1.9-2). I have just noticed that while the connection never leaks DNS when used normally, as soon as qBittorrent is running my DNS leaks almost every time I test. Here is what happens once qBittorrent is open: 

ksnSe.png

4YFTm.png

Once qBittorrent is closed, the leaks stop. Does anyone have any ideas? As far as I knew DNS leaks were basically a Windows problem. Currently qBittorrent is set to use the tun0 interface only, and my network-manager settings are as follows: 

Ethernet: Connect automatically, IPv4 only, connect to AirVPN as soon as interface is up.

AirVPN: Port 443 over UDP, no special settings after importing config files from Air's generator.

The whole machine connects through an IPFire (Linux hardware firewall/router distro) box. 

Can anyone help shed some light on this please? Thanks in advance.

Hello!

Can you show us the content of your /etc/resolv.conf file while the system is connected to a VPN server? You're right in stating that DNS leaks can't occur on Linux, so: either the Virgin Media DNS server IP address is in the resolv.conf file, or your resolv.conf file keeps your router nameserver, and the router in turn sends the query to Virgin DNS.

In any case, you can fix the issue either by accepting DNS push from our servers (see https://airvpn.org/topic/9608-how-to-accept-dns-push-on-linux-systems-with-resolvconf - resolvconf is necessary) or running Eddie 2.1beta for Linux (resolvconf necessary again).

Kind regards

Hello!

Can you show us the content of your /etc/resolv.conf file while the system is connected to a VPN server? You're right in stating that DNS leaks can't occur on Linux, so: either the Virgin Media DNS server IP address is in the resolv.conf file, or your resolv.conf file keeps your router nameserver, and the router in turn sends the query to Virgin DNS.

In any case, you can fix the issue either by accepting DNS push from our servers (see https://airvpn.org/topic/9608-how-to-accept-dns-push-on-linux-systems-with-resolvconf - resolvconf is necessary) or running Eddie 2.1beta for Linux (resolvconf necessary again).

Kind regards

Hi, 

You are correct. I just checked and the IPFire router has defaulted to ISP DNS after a major OS update. My resolv.conf looked like this: 

$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
# Generated by NetworkManager
domain home
search home
nameserver 10.4.0.1
nameserver 192.168.1.1

I have changed my router DNS to Google's DNS servers for at least pseudo-anonymity (bypassing my ISP), and will follow your resolv.conf guide on the local machine.

Thanks!

I'm having the same problem on Ubuntu 14.04 and qbittorrent.  I am running Eddie 2.7 and have DNS Switch mode set to "Resolvconf (Linux" and have Network Lock Mode set to "Automatic".  But it still leaks DNS when downloading torrents.  I'm not that good with Linux stuff but I'm no average joe.  So I tried following the advice for the resolv.conf file by adding the three lines at the end of the file with gedit and saving with gedit (the GUI version).  But the problem persists.  Was I right to copy and paste the three lines of code to the end of the resolv.conf file or did I do it wrong or is there something else I'm supposed to do?

From uTorrent I know that you can set separate DNS servers which uTorrent will use for Reverse DNS queries. In qBittorrent, is there a config menu in which you can set these servers?

(Sent via Tapatalk 4)

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

I'm having the same problem on Ubuntu 14.04 and qbittorrent.  I am running Eddie 2.7 and have DNS Switch mode set to "Resolvconf (Linux" and have Network Lock Mode set to "Automatic".  But it still leaks DNS when downloading torrents.  I'm not that good with Linux stuff but I'm no average joe.  So I tried following the advice for the resolv.conf file by adding the three lines at the end of the file with gedit and saving with gedit (the GUI version).  But the problem persists.  Was I right to copy and paste the three lines of code to the end of the resolv.conf file or did I do it wrong or is there something else I'm supposed to do?

There are no DNS leaks on Linux. What it could happen is that your torrent client queries its own DNS servers bypassing resolv.conf, but the query is tunneled anyway.

Kind regards

There are no DNS leaks on Linux. What it could happen is that your torrent client queries its own DNS servers bypassing resolv.conf, but the query is tunneled anyway.

Kind regards

Even if your own ipleaks.net reveals the google DNS that I set my router to?  Only while torrenting?

Kind regards

Even if your own ipleaks.net reveals the google DNS that I set my router to?  Only while torrenting?

Hello!

There are no DNS leaks in Linux. Now you're writing a different thing, though. ipleak.net uses your browser to reveal DNS queried by your node, so it does not necessarily display DNS servers queried by other programs which do not comply with system settings. Either the tunnel is not established or your resolv.conf nameservers include your router DNS server, or directly Google DNS server(s). In both cases Linux complies to the settings, it's not a leak.

Can we see /etc/resolv.conf content while your system is connected to a VPN server?

Kind regards

Kind regards

Hello!

There are no DNS leaks in Linux. Now you're writing a different thing, though. ipleak.net uses your browser to reveal DNS queried by your node, so it does not necessarily display DNS servers queried by other programs which do not comply with system settings. Either the tunnel is not established or your resolv.conf nameservers include your router DNS server, or directly Google DNS server(s). In both cases Linux complies to the settings, it's not a leak.

Can we see /etc/resolv.conf content while your system is connected to a VPN server?

Kind regards

Yeah I guess my understanding was that a DNS leak would lead to detection by ISP even though I don't want them to.  I'm basically getting what the OP has when using qbittorrent.  I want that to stop.  BTW I reinstalled Ubuntu so I haven't modified the resolvconf.inf file like I mentioned earlier.  Here is what that file looks like while running the AirVPN client:

# Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
#     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
nameserver 10.4.0.1
nameserver 127.0.1.1
search attlocal.net

3 After setting 2 nameservers in DA which need to be the secondary ones according to my hoster, how do i find out at which IP DA is currently running DNS?