Not connected, Your IP: 54.173.221.132
HugeHedon

Ubuntu/Linux: How to use NetworkManager for AirVPN

Hello!

In the Configuration Generator make sure that you select "Advanced Mode" and tick "Separate certs/keys from .ovpn files". In that way you will download separate files that you can use to configure your OpenVPN wrapper (first screenshot you sent us).

Server certificate: ca.crt

Client certificate: user.crt

Private key: user.key

user.key is not password-protected by default.

Kind regards

Hello,

'user.key is not password-protected by default' 

I can see an option where I can simply enter a Key password on the client (my) side with OpenVPN.

When I used the Config Generator and it sent me my User.key, there was no option to set a password. The User.key was then sent to my over a SSL connection ( I assume). If someone, somehow, intercepted this User.key file when it was sent to me, then I assume my VPN would be compromised as they will also have a copy of my User.key. My concerns over this have been increased following the recent relevations that SSL may not be so secure as we once thought it was, so I wanted to add an extra layer of protection using a password for the User.key to verify it server side.

In another post an admin states;

"You don't need to worry about login/password. The authentication is performed through certificates and key, therefore no human intervention or any other setup is needed at the connection. With the configuration generator (menu "Member Area"->"Access without our client") you can generate and download all the files you need"

So you cannot use User.key passwords at all?

I'm stuck at

6) Click on the nm-applet (the NetworkManager icon) => VPN Connections => Configure VPN

7) In the little window that comes up, click the Import button.

simply beacuse I don't have import button there

i'm with 13.10 which is with the unity desktop

I'm stuck at

6) Click on the nm-applet (the NetworkManager icon) => VPN Connections => Configure VPN

Same problem here! Installed Ubuntu 13.10 today....bad surprise

I'm stuck at

You have to add connection at that point instead. One of the options is to import a saved vpn configuration at which time you select your .ovpn file.

The config generator is loading a blank page for me.

Same for me, there is nothing in that page. Could you please fix that? I try ths since over a month now, the page stays empty...

The config generator is loading a blank page for me.

Same for me, there is nothing in that page. Could you please fix that? I try ths since over a month now, the page stays empty...

Hello!

Page will stay blank forever, unless you subscribe your account. Access to the CG is restricted to accounts with a subscription and your accounts have no valid subscriptions. Please do not hesitate to open a ticket if you think this is a mistake. Please include your payment details.

Kind regards

Don try to install VPN with ubuntu 14.04 because NetworkManager has a new bug:

impossible to import .ovpn file to create a new vpn connection

ttps://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager-openvpn/+bug/1294899

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager-openvpn/+bug/1296936

Just curious if you did a brand new install or simply updated/upgraded from 13.10 to 14.04?  My VPN connection on 13.10 has been rock solid.  I was wondering if I simply upgraded with everything already in place if that would work.

Just curious if you did a brand new install or simply updated/upgraded from 13.10 to 14.04?  My VPN connection on 13.10 has been rock solid.  I was wondering if I simply upgraded with everything already in place if that would work.

Don try to install VPN with ubuntu 14.04 because NetworkManager has a new bug:

impossible to import .ovpn file to create a new vpn connection

ttps://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager-openvpn/+bug/1294899

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager-openvpn/+bug/1296936

On a fresh new install of 14.04, same bug (and with Mint DE 2014.03 too).

Copied a working connection from another computer, and it works fine :-)

(networkmanager connections are stored in /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/)

Thanks for the good work :-)

I thought that would work!  fyi - make sure to update your connection since the major rebuild here.

My connection has been rocking since the major overhaul here.  I appreciate the added tls cert.  I am planning on building a new 14.04 system shortly.  When I do I'll come back and stamp out a guide for setting up an Air connection if its still broken as you contend.  I haven't tried it at all yet.  Life is busy here.

I am on a windows client machine now and it too has been solid.  I have checked the windows client logs a few times and its doing exactly what it is designed to do.  Its nice, so thanks Air!!!!

A fix would be really appreciated. Is there a way to start a vpn connection under ubuntu 14.04, manually in console or other fix? I have no vpn connection at all now

Has the bug been fixed? Can OpenVPN be set up on 14.04 if you don't have another working connection to copy from?

I ran this (from the bug report) to start the connection:

sudo openvpn --config XXXXXXXX.ovpn

I noticed I don't even have the network manager anywhere on my panel and I have no idea how to add it either (Lubuntu). I should have stayed on 13.10

I am sorry but I won't be able to get to this until Monday or Tuesday.  Have you read over at the ubuntu forums?

Hi rng29a, for us noobs, can you provide somoe more details on how to download and install? Not sure where to go with you description above.

Any help is apprecaited.

nm-applet comes in handy with 2017 Debian Jessie. Maybe separate the user.crt /.key ca.crt manually and off you go.

Recent versions of NetworkManager(tested with 1.8.6, Fedora 27) have ipv4.dns-priority option(available since NetworkManager 1.4). "Negative values have the special effect of excluding other configurations with a greater priority value; so in presence of at least a negative priority, only DNS servers from connections with the lowest priority value will be used"

So, this option prevents NetworkManager from using DNS other than pushed by VPN server.

Also, i didn't encounter any problem with import of *.ovpn - if you encounter any problem with import, try separate *.keys/*.certs/*.ovpn