Not connected, Your IP: 54.167.52.238
Staff

Eddie 2.1beta available

Hello!

We're very glad to inform you that a new Eddie Air client version has been released: 2.1beta. It addresses a lot of issues after the public first beta testing phase of 2.0beta. Please read the changelogs: https://airvpn.org/services/changelog.php?software=client&format=html

The 2.1beta version is compatible with several Linux distributions. For very important notes about environments, please read here: https://airvpn.org/forum/35-client-software-platforms-environments

Planned next steps: Network Leak Protection implementation, OS X version.

Eddie 2.1beta Linux can be downloaded here: https://airvpn.org/linux_ex
Eddie 2.1beta Windows can be downloaded here: https://airvpn.org/windows_ex

Eddie 2.1beta is free and open source software released under GPLv3

Kind regards & datalove
AirVPN Staff

Hi, Thanks for the update.

I hope this is the correct place for this post.

I can confirm that in Opensuse Gnome 13.10.2 with default settings the client starts and connects to the server successfully.

However with default settings my DNS leaks.

In advanced settings if ensure Air DNS is enabled the client goes into a connect-disconnect-retry loop.

If DNS Switch is enabled the client force closes.

It would be nice if force Air DNS was default.

Overall I really like the look of the client and can see it quickly becoming a must have on many desktops including mine, thanks again.

Hi, Thanks for the update.

I hope this is the correct place for this post.

I can confirm that in Opensuse Gnome 13.10.2 with default settings the client starts and connects to the server successfully.

However with default settings my DNS leaks.

In advanced settings if ensure Air DNS is enabled the client goes into a connect-disconnect-retry loop.

If DNS Switch is enabled the client force closes.

It would be nice if force Air DNS was default.

Overall I really like the look of the client and can see it quickly becoming a must have on many desktops including mine, thanks again.

Hello!

Yes, this is the right place. This is a known issue in openSUSE, as you can see in openSUSE environment report, because in openSUSE resolvconf or openresolv are not installed and not available in repositories. When such packages are not installed, you must not tick "Force DNS" in Eddie, because with that option OpenVPN relies on update-resolv-conf script, which in turn relies on resolvconf.

Linux does not leak DNS queries, it just uses the DNS you set, sending the queries to the VPN server (encrypted) or to your router (unencrypted) in full compliance with the settings, routing table included. We define a DNS leak as such when the system does not comply to your settings, like in Windows (where the concept of global DNS is missing), and this is not the case with Linux. As a temporary workaround you can manually edit (as root) your /etc/resolv.conf file and insert the following line as first nameserver:

nameserver 10.4.0.1

This will force usage of VPN DNS when connected to a VPN server to port 53, 80 or 443, either in UDP or TCP. When not connected to a VPN server, your system will use the other nameservers.

Kind regards

Hi and thanks for response and explanation.

I notice my resolve.conf file changes depending on whether I connect to Air via the network manager (Gnome) or Eddie.

When using the network manager my DNS settings are listed as the name servers, when Eddie is used my ISP's name server is listed.

I appologise for the probably obvious question... how do I open resolve.conf as root ? There's no option to open as root in the right click context menu and my use of the terminal is pretty limited. I know I should know and I feel like I'm missing something glaringly obvious

Ill keep trying but any help as always appreciated.

Thanks again.

EDIT- I simply opened gedit from a root terminal and changed /etc/resolv.conf.

Can now confirm that only Air DNS is now been queried.

Thanks

I notice a bug. 

When Airclient is in taskbar, I click show hidden items and try to right click airvpn client to bring up the menu and I click restore but it goes behind the taskbar.

Also when I double click the icon, it opens up a webpage showing information about ports instead of bring up the program. 

FROM STAFF: PLEASE EDIT THIS MESSAGE AND SPECIFY THE EXACT OPERATING SYSTEM VERSION YOU'RE RUNNING

Graphical stability improvements, looks better (the lowercase country abbreviations were odd though). But still completely unusable on my system (Linux Mint 16) which is a close Ubuntu fork. The status window sits at "checking route" for the first server, then continues to close the tunnel and reconnect in an indefinite loop. Also in all 3 tries at testing it I had to bring up a terminal window and force-kill the process as the window would not close. Still very happy that AirVPN is trying to tackle window$, mac and Linux all at once. keep going!!

I'm really enjoying the new client.  It seems to work very well on my Windows 8.1 x64 box.  The only thing I can't seem to get working is the 'Start with Windows' function, other than that it's really quite an amazing improvement over the older setup.  Thanks for the great service!

With Ubuntu i still get the same error...

I 2014.05.19 16:18:47 - AirVPN client version: 2.1, System: Linux, Architecture: x64
. 2014.05.19 16:18:47 - Reading options from /home/user/.airvpn/AirVPN.xml
. 2014.05.19 16:18:48 - Data Path: /home/user/.airvpn
. 2014.05.19 16:18:48 - App Path: /usr/lib/AirVPN
. 2014.05.19 16:18:48 - Executable Path: /usr/lib/AirVPN/AirVPN.exe
. 2014.05.19 16:18:48 - Command line arguments: path="/home/user/.airvpn"
. 2014.05.19 16:18:48 - Operating System: Unix 3.8.0.39 - Linux user-THINK 3.8.0-39-generic #58~precise1-Ubuntu SMP Fri May 2 21:33:40 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
E 2014.05.19 16:18:48 - OpenVPN Driver - Not available
I 2014.05.19 16:18:48 - OpenVPN - Version: OpenVPN 2.3.2 (/usr/sbin/openvpn)
I 2014.05.19 16:18:48 - SSH - Version: OpenSSH_6.5p1 Ubuntu-4~ubuntu12.04.1~c42.ppa1, OpenSSL 1.0.1 14 Mar 2012 (/usr/bin/ssh)
I 2014.05.19 16:18:48 - SSL - Version: No limit (/usr/bin/stunnel4)
I 2014.05.19 16:18:48 - IPV6: Available
! 2014.05.19 16:18:48 - Ready
! 2014.05.19 16:19:07 - Checking login ...
! 2014.05.19 16:19:08 - Logged in.
I 2014.05.19 16:19:09 - Session starting.
! 2014.05.19 16:19:09 - Checking environment
! 2014.05.19 16:19:09 - Installing tunnel driver
F 2014.05.19 16:19:09 - Driver installation failed.

With Ubuntu i still get the same error.

Hello,

which Ubuntu version? What happens if you install OpenVPN manually (sudo apt-get install openvpn) ?

Kind regards

Hi,

Eddie seems to be functioning as it should here on Opensuse Gnome 13.10.2.

I have been seeing this error (below) or one very similar in stats - system report since I first connected.

After double clicking to view the same error appears in logs.

5/19/2014 - 6:40 PM    Unexpected error. Please contact our support staff. - Not Implemented. -   at AirVPN.Core.Platform.NotImplemented () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0  |   at AirVPN.Core.Platform.RouteList () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0  |   at AirVPN.Core.Platform.GenerateSystemReport () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0  |   at AirVPN.Platforms.Linux.GenerateSystemReport () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0  |   at AirVPN.Gui.Forms.Main.lstStats_DoubleClick (System.Object sender, System.EventArgs e) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0  |   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnDoubleClick (System.EventArgs e) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0  |   at System.Windows.Forms.ListView+ItemControl.HandleClicks (System.Windows.Forms.MouseEventArgs me) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0  |   at System.Windows.Forms.ListView+ItemControl.ItemsMouseUp (System.Object sender, System.Windows.Forms.MouseEventArgs me) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0  |   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnMouseUp (System.Windows.Forms.MouseEventArgs e) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0  |   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmLButtonUp (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0  |   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0  |   at System.Windows.Forms.ListView+ItemControl.WndProc (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0  |   at System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlWindowTarget.OnMessage (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0  |   at System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlNativeWindow.WndProc (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0  |   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.WndProc (IntPtr hWnd, Msg msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

SOLVED

Clarification before proceeding;

I have 14.04 and as I posted long ago in this thread it doesn't work with the first released beta version.  I know that "Staff" also posted that the original beta was ineffective with Ubuntu.

So now I plan to try beta 2.1 with 14.04.  Question:  can I simply install beta 2.1 and will it "go over" the first beta without a problem or do users need to remove the original first?

I thought I would get a response before proceeding.

A side note:  Canonical has released a "patch/update" repairing the IMPORT VPN CONFIG issue that many where having with 14.04.  At least you will have the option to utilize the config generator and import the connection if you would rather do that than use a CLIENT.

I still would like to try the client, realizing that the normal VPN import now will work fine too.

Solved on this end with 14.04.  I have great backups so I went ahead and just installed 2.1.  When it installed it asked if I wanted to UPGRADE.  Beta 2.1 was seen as an upgrade (beta 2.0 already installed).  Its working fine on 14.04 for me.  I am using it to type this post.

For some reason the icon won't lock to the launcher but the client itself is working fine on ubuntu 14.04!!  The icon on the launcher disappears when I shut down Air.  No biggie because this is a HOST ONLY 14.04.  I do all my surfing in VM's.

I am also adding back in all the ufw rules just to "double check" that I am locked down to the tunnel.  The client is supposed to take care of this if options are selected.

Staff, is there any reason that the ufw rules from the threads here will interfere with the client?  I want them to work together and I have really learned to bank on ufw.

side note:  this client launches and runs slick from a termial.  Bring up OS and terminal --- sudo airvpn and you are staring at the client and ready to go!

Solved on this end with 14.04.  I have great backups so I went ahead and just installed 2.1.  When it installed it asked if I wanted to UPGRADE.  Beta 2.1 was seen as an upgrade (beta 2.0 already installed).  Its working fine on 14.04 for me.  I am using it to type this post.

For some reason the icon won't lock to the launcher but the client itself is working fine on ubuntu 14.04!!  The icon on the launcher disappears when I shut down Air.  No biggie because this is a HOST ONLY 14.04.  I do all my surfing in VM's.

Hello!

Thanks for the report!

I am also adding back in all the ufw rules just to "double check" that I am locked down to the tunnel.  The client is supposed to take care of this if options are selected.

Not yet: this function is not implemented in Eddie 2.1beta. Only "Force DNS" is (which anyway is more interesting for Windows users). The "any leak" prevention will be probably implemented with the next release (as you can see the release cycle of Eddie is pushed fast). Eddit

Staff, is there any reason that the ufw rules from the threads here will interfere with the client?  I want them to work together and I have really learned to bank on ufw.

side note:  this client launches and runs slick from a termial.  Bring up OS and terminal --- sudo airvpn and you are staring at the client and ready to go!

No, not really... Eddie implements several, new censorship circumvention features, and in particular cases very restrictive rules can block some or all of them. On the other hand it's also a way to test how good is Eddie in bypassing censorship, blocks etc., but if you're not in a censorship-fan network you would not need such features anyway.

Kind regards

Possible bug?

First, I love this new client and all the options. One issue I have run across is connecting to different servers issue. This happens maybe half the time that the client will connect to the wrong server. I will tell it to connect to Sirius for example but it will instead connect to alkalid server maybe because it's at the top of my whitelist servers alphabetically. I will have to disconnect and again tell it to connect to a different server. Sometimes I must repeat this process three or four times before it finally connects to the correct server. I have tried both double clicking the server I want and also highlighting it and pressing the connect button.

This is for windows 7 x64 client

Possible bug?

First, I love this new client and all the options. One issue I have run across is connecting to different servers issue. This happens maybe half the time that the client will connect to the wrong server. I will tell it to connect to Sirius for example but it will instead connect to alkalid server maybe because it's at the top of my whitelist servers alphabetically. I will have to disconnect and again tell it to connect to a different server. Sometimes I must repeat this process three or four times before it finally connects to the correct server. I have tried both double clicking the server I want and also highlighting it and pressing the connect button.

Hello!

Just to understand better this bug: the server you highlight or double-click is in the whitelist, in the blacklist or in no lists ("Undefined")? Does the same happen if you right-click the server and select "Connect now" from the contextual menu?

Kind regards

Suggestion:

There does not seem to be anyway to stop the client once a connection to a VPN server begins--even if the connection hangs due to something like bad wifi.  The only way to end the AirVPN connecton is to forcefully terminate the client in the task manager.

Possible bug?

Hello!

Just to understand better this bug: the server you highlight or double-click is in the whitelist, in the blacklist or in no lists ("Undefined")? Does the same happen if you right-click the server and select "Connect now" from the contextual menu?

Kind regards

Yes it happens when just double click, clicking button to connect now, also right click and select connect now. I have tried from both the whitelist and also when i click show all servers the same thing happens. When it does send me to the wrong server it seems to always be Alkaid that it makes me connect to. This bug doesnt happen ever time just about half of the times I try and connect.

Just caught some time testing this update - works really well on my Arch Linux Laptop, thanks!

Encountered only one very minor problem when trying. Eddie wants to use ifconfig if I'm not mistaken, which by default isn't installed anymore on Arch. Easy enough to fix, though.

Really enjoying the client, comes in especially handy when having to use any more advanced configurations (SSH comes to mind) to bypass silly open wireless network restrictions. So thanks again, looking forward to the final release.

I'd love to see automatic linux firewall rules that will block everything except for the vpn traffic. I've been using the new interface for a few days now and haven't seen any major bugs. Congrats!

Is the 2.1 beta safe for newbies to try or is it better to wait for the next version with more fixes and leak protection? Is VPN kill switch included in case the VPN connection goes down or should I refer to the Linux firewall guides?

Also, will the Linux version support Xfce or Cinnamon panels?

Hello!

Thanks for the report!

>I am also adding back in all the ufw rules just to "double check" that I am locked down to the tunnel.  The client is supposed to take care of this if options are selected.

Not yet: this function is not implemented in Eddie 2.1beta. Only "Force DNS" is (which anyway is more interesting for Windows users). The "any leak" prevention will be probably implemented with the next release (as you can see the release cycle of Eddie is pushed fast). Eddit

No, not really... Eddie implements several, new censorship circumvention features, and in particular cases very restrictive rules can block some or all of them. On the other hand it's also a way to test how good is Eddie in bypassing censorship, blocks etc., but if you're not in a censorship-fan network you would not need such features anyway.

Kind regards

Staff,

I am chiming in on your responses regarding UFW not interfering with Eddie 2.1.  I don't find that to be true.  My client will NOT connect when I have ufw enabled but connects easily when ufw is not on.  fyi - this is on a 14.04 bare metal machine.

My ufw rules are very easy but also work fine.

In plain text:

General default: block all outgoing, and incoming, disabled (routed)

Add a rule to access the LAN on my network  ---- very simple just so I can grab my router to check things.

Add the Air entry IP's I use

limit the traffic to tun0

ufw is set that simple.  It always worked fine with 13.10 and lower using the import vpn config in those OS's.

There must be something the client doesn't like about ufw or there is some conflict.  In my windows machines I always had to modify the hosts file to allow for resolution.  Is that needed when using the Eddie client?

In plain text:

Add a rule to access the LAN on my network  ---- very simple just so I can grab my router to check things.

Hello!

If we understand them correctly it's ok that Eddie can't work, because you block all traffic except traffic to some VPN servers.

In these cases Eddie could work only if it had already stored information on how to reach those VPN servers and had already stored keys and certificates.

Kind regards

Well that is easily understood.  The problem then becomes how to make a choice where my security and privacy are concerned.

In plain text:

Hello!

If we understand them correctly it's ok that Eddie can't work, because you block all traffic except traffic to some VPN servers.

In these cases Eddie could work only if it had already stored information on how to reach those VPN servers and had already stored keys and certificates.

Kind regards

As I see it for now (since 14.04 import vpn config is currently "broken") there are two choices:

1. I can elect to use my UFW firewall in tandem with launching Air via terminal commands.  Its very simple to do and works flawlessly.  Using this method I can rest assured that ufw is covering my rear end in case the connection breaks at any point along the way.  I absolutely trust ufw without fail.  The drawback is that to employ "special" use protocols such as ssl/ssh it becomes tougher than using a client make it.

2.  Drop the personal firewall and rely upon the client.  The simplicity of viewing stats, logs, etc.... is more convenient via the client.  However; I am not comfortable with relying upon something that I did not setup and have visually made sure its secure.  This is not a personal thing with Air.  To the extent possible I trust you guys with what you do.

I along with others reading this thread would love to entertain your comments regarding how your Eddie client protects against a sudden lost connection.  Regardless if it is on Air's end or anywhere in route the exposure is something many want to avoid.

ps - even when 14.04 allows for importing VPN config's it will really still be the same choice for Air Linux users.  But I suppose you will always have users that just want a "point and click" client because other providers throw them out there.  The reliability is what they should stop and question,and as you pointed out already, without stored credentials the handshake is happening just a bit "looser" should the attempted connection fail during being initialized.  My take on this.

Does yours differ?

Hello,

the "dilemma" will be no more when Eddie will have total leaks prevention as built-in function which can be activated with a click. This is planned and will probably be added in the next release, during the 1st week of June. About your other considerations, it's sufficient to say that we don't force any usage of proprietary software and that Eddie is open source, which is very important for peer-reviews.

Kind regards