Not connected, Your IP: 3.84.228.68

Posted ... (edited)

You probably heard of GEMA, the german licensing agency for music content. And you may have heard them and YouTube arguing about licensing fees on YouTube in Germany. As a result YouTube agreed to prevent german IPs from viewing music videos and videos containing even fractions of licensed music. Personally I call this censorship for both viewers and artists/producers.

I suggest to create a rule for routing YouTube traffic from all german servers to any server not located in Germany, if possible.

• Of course I can circumvent this by just connecting to another server outside Germany... but I'm mostly connected to german servers and connecting to another server just to watch one music video is not expedient in my opinion. You may ask: Why do you connect to german servers, then? They're the nearest to my real location and had the best ping results. Advantage for online games.
  • The use of YouTube-only proxy addons like ProxTube is a valid option, though it's proxy servers are not reachable sometimes. But why should I use a tiny proxy service to circumvent blockades if I'm already using a proxy service to which I'm connected the whole time? And for which I pay? It's easier for me to just surf and see that it's running without any modifications, right?

I'd really like to see such a routing option. I miss it.

--

Being connected to certain servers might not show you the right version of YouTube. The reason isn't clear, it might be a geolocation bug.

Following servers are prone to this:

Edited ... by gigan3rd

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Recently Australia got this to.

So many videos i used to watch suddenly saying copyright issues when i tried to play them.

That is why i have joined this VPN and its community.

Same problem with severs in Netherlands on some youtube videos. Very annoying. Would also support this idea by Gigan3rd but also on Netherlands severs as well as German ones. 

Same problem with severs in Netherlands on some youtube videos. Very annoying. Would also support this idea by Gigan3rd but also on Netherlands severs as well as German ones. 

There once was a short time when YouTube did fully work for me. I was viewing the italian or britain YouTube website for a week or so while connected to a server in Germany and I could view any video I wanted. I thought AirVPN set up a routing rule. When it stopped working I contacted staff, believing that the routing was circumvented by YouTube. They told me they didn't have a routing rule, it was YouTube's geolocation that was causing this.

Do you have the same German-language message?

It seems that traffic from IP address of server in Romania is connected to a Google's German sites, at least Google.com and Youtube.com. Just like at least some servers in Netherlands. And Switzerland. I connect to AirVPN servers based on country, not by a single server so I can't say for sure wether this affects all servers Netherlands.

I Googled the situation and I understood it has something to do with traffic analysis done by Google. Apparently when a lot of traffic from certain IP addresses is directed to a certain country, it is assumed that that IP-range belongs to someone in that destination country. Or something like that. Don't know for sure if I understood that correctly. Just read about a company in US that operates also in some South American country and Google insist to direct ALL their traffic as the whole company resides in that country. Or was it Mexico? Well, you get what I mean.

It is becoming really awkward when you get only German censored Youtube even when connected to a server in a completely different country. Especially when a few weeks or months ago the countries mentioned got detected correctly.

And now even DHT doesn't work when torrenting if connected to certain countries. A separate issue, I know (will try to solve that when I find some energy to do that), I'm just worried by this apparent lessening of available countries to choose from.

I Googled the situation and I understood it has something to do with traffic analysis done by Google. Apparently when a lot of traffic from certain IP addresses is directed to a certain country, it is assumed that that IP-range belongs to someone in that destination country.

Please post a link, I'm highly interested in that!

I Googled the situation and I understood it has something to do with traffic analysis done by Google. Apparently when a lot of traffic from certain IP addresses is directed to a certain country, it is assumed that that IP-range belongs to someone in that destination country.

Please post a link, I'm highly interested in that!

Unfortunately I have no idea where I read that. I found it after considerable time of Googling and reading stuff. It was some random forum somewhere and I have no idea wether the information is even remotely true. I didn't save the link and have no inkling of an idea where I read that, so your chances finging it via Google are the same as mine. Sorry.

-- Update --

Being connected to certain servers might not show you the right version of Google/YouTube. The reason isn't clear, it might be a geolocation bug.

Following servers are prone to this:

I usually connect to singapore servers and have to resort to using google dns because if I use AirDNS youtube streams from Europe instead of the nearest cache.  But, actually, even with using google DNS, youtube streams from a server in USA.  This is faster than if streaming from Europe, but not ideal.

Note: I'm ping/tracing route to the streaming server, not the web site.  Easy to quickly see using resource monitor.

I would love to have that feature as well. Netflix, BBCiplayer works like a charm but I can't get youtube to work and it drives me crazy :-D

I'm having the same problem on the Swedish server Cyngi - which is appearing to send google.com and youtube to the .de versions (I am actually in Germany so was panicing briefly that my routing had broken but I can now safely confirm that I am routing via airvpn and usin airvpn dns)

Is there anything that can be done to fix this? Would a DNS double-hop work or as somebody else has said, is it a case that google have made an "assigned" airvpn exit points to Germany?

I am having similar problems, i am connected to a host in netherlands (erakis) but i am geting directed to google israel, while i am physically in europe

i am connected with network manager of ubuntu, and ipleaks seem good (connecting with official airvpn giving me leaks and i couldnt fix  it with iptables, however through configuration file and key it works good)

Possible to routing youtube when connecting to german server? i prefer german than netherland server just because it has better latency, but sometimes connecting to NL also meet GEMA, hiks

We've got news for you.

YouTube and GEMA could make an arrangement, now they pay a fee for every view of officially uploaded music videos; that's all I know, details are unknown variables unfortunately.

The important thing, though, is that as a result of these arrangements YouTube ceases to block music videos in Germany. It would seem, the censorship is over!

Maybe it's just a sign that YouTube is going to introduce premium music plans or something like this.. after all, you don't really pay for doing anything there...

Hello!

Thank you for the update giganerd .

How quaint that one vice, greed, got played off against another one, censorship.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.