Not connected, Your IP: 3.234.246.109
Staff

AirVPN Client - Eddie - Beta testing phase

Hello!

We're very glad to inform you that the new AirVPN client (codename Eddie) is ready for the beta-testing phase.

Introduction: https://airvpn.org/software/

FAQs: https://airvpn.org/forum/34-client-software/

Windows versions: https://airvpn.org/windows_ex

Linux versions: https://airvpn.org/linux_ex

A native Mac OS X version is still under development. We hope to release an OS X prototype in this month (May 2014).

All the documentation is available on this page: https://airvpn.org/software

Unlike some of our competitors that ask for customers' trust not only on networking, but also when installing closed-source software with full-access to users' machines, we release our client as free and open source under GPL3. Source code available on GitHub: https://github.com/AirVPN/airvpn-client

Notes:

• Some advanced options are still disabled by default. As far as it concerns new features, we want to be sure that Eddie works at least like the current client. Soon, based also on community feedback, we will release a new version with some advanced options enabled by default.
  • Please report exactly what version you installed (operating system, 32 or 64 bit, and file format) if/when you report an issue.
  • Network Leak Protection Locking feature will be available in a next beta version, probably the next week.

Screenshots:

welcome.png

servers.png

stats.png

stats2.png

ports.png

Enjoy!

Kind regards

Awesome, thank you!

I'm only in a Linux Mint 13 LTS, Mate x64 live CD at present, as my main install (KaOS x64, which is built from scratch) doesn't support .deb and doesn't run the standalone portable executable. It's complaining about libc, despite glibc being installed.

Anyway, the .deb installs great on Mint 13 LTS x64 and I can connect successfully. Selecting 'Ensure that tunnel uses AirVPN DNS system' under 'Advanced' settings causes an infinite connection loop. It tries to connect, fails, then moves down the list of available servers; constantly disconnecting and trying to reconnect. I can't get logs yet (I'm currently using the system for other things and can't disconnect from the stable VPN session I'm connected to now), but as soon as I can I'll post them to pastebin for you.

Also I noted that the speed displayed on the Overview page (not the graph on the Speed page) freezes up and stops reflecting changes in traffic.

Great work so far though, and great to see it being released as GPLv3 with source code on github.

Two questions, please:

1) Will the app eventually support a tray icon so that we can close it to tray instead of having it open fully all the time?

2) Will you eventually offer RPMs (RedHat/Centos, Fedora, OpenSUSE) too?

EDIT: Just replicated the issue and saved the logs. I then realised there's a ton of personal info (i.e. my IP address etc) in the log, so rather than manually check through and redact everything I'll submit a support ticket and attach it as a .txt so it's not in the public domain. I hope this is OK.

Thanks for the work!

With Ubuntu 12.04 the softwarecenter shows the following warning:

"Lintian check results for /home/user/Downloads/airvpn_linux_x64.deb:
Use of uninitialized value $ENV{"HOME"} in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/bin/lintian line 108.
E: airvpn: arch-independent-package-contains-binary-or-object usr/lib/AirVPN/openvpn
E: airvpn: arch-independent-package-contains-binary-or-object usr/lib/AirVPN/stunnel"

Edit[1]

The client connects, but when i try to connect to a server there is an error. 

"09.05.2014 - 10:49 Driver installation failed."

Why is the client trying to use the windows .exe to connect under linux?

Suggestion 2:  With the previous Air client in Windows 7, I could mouseover the icon in the status bar and quickly see the D/L and U/L speeds.  With 2.0 beta, this does not work.  Moving my mouse over the icon just pops a bubble up saying 'AirVPN - Connected'

Hello,

OpenVPN version 2.3.4 has been out for a few days now. I notice Eddie comes with version 2.3.3. I tried to enter the path to the installed OpenVPN version under "Preferences > Advanced > OpenVPN Custom Path". The path is saved but whenever I restart AirVPN, it defaults back to version 2.3.3. I check under preferences again and the custom path still shows but is not being used. Has this feature been enabled yet? I also would like to ask if there is a reason that Eddie does not come with the latest version of OpenVPN? Thanks for your help and so far I really like the new AirVPN beta...

Edited to add: I am on Windows 8.1 Update 1 Pro 64 bits...

1) Will the app eventually support a tray icon so that we can close it to tray instead of having it open fully all the time?

Sorry, it is not possible to implement it quickly. We need to convert the UI project to GTK or at least create an additional wrapping layer. It is possible, but it has low priority.

2) Will you eventually offer RPMs (RedHat/Centos, Fedora, OpenSUSE) too?

Yes, this is planned. 

"Lintian check results for /home/user/Downloads/airvpn_linux_x64.deb:

We test Eddie only under Debian at the moment, and our package installer doesn't show this kind of error. For that we didn't notice. Anyway, this will be fixed in the next beta version.

Why is the client trying to use the windows .exe to connect under linux?

It is not a normal windows .exe, it's pcode.

The same file runs on both Windows and Linux with Mono.

It has the '.exe' extension only for comfort under Windows to run it with a double-click.

Suggestion:  When connecting to a server, please also show the Country it's in (or at least the flag or both).

It will be done soon. 

Suggestion 2:  With the previous Air client in Windows 7, I could mouseover the icon in the status bar and quickly see the D/L and U/L speeds.  With 2.0 beta, this does not work.  Moving my mouse over the icon just pops a bubble up saying 'AirVPN - Connected'

It will be done in the next beta release.

Hello,

OpenVPN version 2.3.4 has been out for a few days now. I notice Eddie comes with version 2.3.3. I tried to enter the path to the installed OpenVPN version under "Preferences > Advanced > OpenVPN Custom Path". The path is saved but whenever I restart AirVPN, it defaults back to version 2.3.3. I check under preferences again and the custom path still shows but is not being used. Has this feature been enabled yet? I also would like to ask if there is a reason that Eddie does not come with the latest version of OpenVPN? Thanks for your help and so far I really like the new AirVPN beta...

Edited to add: I am on Windows 8.1 Update 1 Pro 64 bits...

Simply because we compiled our binary-bundle for Eddie beta packages before OpenVPN 2.3.4 was released.

In any case, we normally wait some weeks before recommending a new OpenVPN version, if there isn't any urgent reason.

We check the 'openvpn custom path', any bug about it will be fixed in the next beta version.

Kind regards

Getting this error when trying to launch the extracted .tar.gz portable version from terminal in Fedora 20 x64. I'm using the MATE desktop but also have Gnome3 and KDE installed on the system. The executable just does nothing when double clicking the file in the file manager.

[user@fedora-desktop airvpn_linux_x64]$ ./airvpn

Unhandled Exception: System.TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for System.Drawing.GDIPlus ---> System.DllNotFoundException: libc
at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Drawing.GDIPlus:uname (intptr)
at System.Drawing.GDIPlus..cctor () [0x00000] in :0
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.Drawing.StringFormat..ctor (StringFormatFlags options, Int32 language) [0x00000] in :0
at System.Drawing.StringFormat..ctor () [0x00000] in :0
at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.Drawing.StringFormat:.ctor ()
at AirVPN.Gui.GuiUtils.Init () [0x00000] in :0
at AirVPN.Gui.Program.Main () [0x00000] in :0
[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for System.Drawing.GDIPlus ---> System.DllNotFoundException: libc
at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Drawing.GDIPlus:uname (intptr)
at System.Drawing.GDIPlus..cctor () [0x00000] in :0
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.Drawing.StringFormat..ctor (StringFormatFlags options, Int32 language) [0x00000] in :0
at System.Drawing.StringFormat..ctor () [0x00000] in :0
at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.Drawing.StringFormat:.ctor ()
at AirVPN.Gui.GuiUtils.Init () [0x00000] in :0
at AirVPN.Gui.Program.Main () [0x00000] in :0

I have glibc installed (which is what I assumed the libc errors were about?), so now I'm stuck. Any ideas please? 

Hi guys,

first thanks for new client - shows great promise!!

second - client initiates *http* connection to 212.117.180.25:80 onStart - which is I guess conn to auth.airvpn.org. TOO BAD that you even allow ANY connection to be plain http - So I wanted to test it, so I logged in with fake user/pass and client made again PLAIN HTTP request ... Just one word - CRAZY !!

Old stable client gets it right with conn to 95.211.138.143:443 (https). So is this a bug, or what ? If so, when it will be fixed ?

Thanks in advance for fix & great service youre providing .

Hi guys,

first thanks for new client - shows great promise!!

second - client initiates *http* connection to 212.117.180.25:80 onStart - which is I guess conn to auth.airvpn.org. TOO BAD that you even allow ANY connection to be plain http - So I wanted to test it, so I logged in with fake user/pass and client made again PLAIN HTTP request ... Just one word - CRAZY !!

Old stable client gets it right with conn to 95.211.138.143:443 (https). So is this a bug, or what ? If so, when it will be fixed ?

Thanks in advance for fix & great service youre providing .

Hello!

We expected a notice like that :p

It is not a bug, it is intentional and it does not pose any security concern.

It looks like plain http, but it is NOT.

What data can you see? Use Wireshark for example.

You can see an HTTP request, with two parameters. These parameters are encrypted with AES 256, over a RSA 4096 bit pre-authentication, preventing any possible MITM attack.

We don't use the similar layer implemented in HTTPS, we re-built it, so https become only an additional, useless layer.

If you want to look at the code on GitHub, all the connections to our authentication servers are managed by this class:

https://github.com/AirVPN/airvpn-client/blob/master/src/Core/AirExchange.cs

In order:

- Generation of AES 256 key (note: new one for each http request)

- Encryption of the AES 256 key with "AirVPN Software Public Key" (RSA 4096 bit). This is the param "S" in HTTP request

- Encryption of the data with AES. This is the param "D" in HTTP request

- Our server receives the request. Only our server has the RSA Private Key, so only our server can decrypt/obtain the AES key.

- Our server replies with data encrypted with the AES key, that only the client knows so that it can decrypt data.

Our only missing feature (planned) is an implementation about revoking the public key on client-side.

Thanks for the report.

Kind regards

I am using Worric's Firewall with Gufw and Ufw. And also 10.04 Ubuntu ( it works the best on my old machine).  I have disable my firewall to even login. Then when I try to connect to a server it hangs at "Connecting to Cephei."  None of this happened before the upgrade.  All servers connected.

I can use the network manager but not all servers will connect as before.  Please advise.  BTW I'd send a log, but everytime I try to use the one from your client, I lose my message. 

If you can tell me where the log is on my machine, I sent it to you.  I'm clueless where to look.  Thank you so much.  tracter

I am using Worric's Firewall with Gufw and Ufw. And also 10.04 Ubuntu ( it works the best on my old machine).  I have disable my firewall to even login. Then when I try to connect to a server it hangs at "Connecting to Cephei."  None of this happened before the upgrade.  All servers connected.

I can use the network manager but not all servers will connect as before.  Please advise.  BTW I'd send a log, but everytime I try to use the one from your client, I lose my message. 

If you can tell me where the log is on my machine, I sent it to you.  I'm clueless where to look.  Thank you so much.  tracter

Hello!

If you click the "Logs" tab, do the logs open? If so, if you click on the icon "Copy to clipboard" or "Save to file", what happens?

EDIT. network-manager-openvpn usage is currently deprecated by us, see the instructions to know the reasons (here https://airvpn.org/topic/11432-using-airvpn-with-ubuntu-network-manager and here https://airvpn.org/topic/11432-using-airvpn-with-ubuntu-network-manager )

Kind regards

Hi,

Did Staff miss my post here? I seem to be the only person who didn't get a reply tonight. Just checking! :)

Hello!

Noted. We confirm the problem on Fedora: we will be investigating soon. Thanks for the report.

Kind regards

Bug report.

I'm not sure if this is an issue with Heze or Eddie, but I keep on getting disconnected pretty randomly.  The bug is that in spite of having the 'Force reconnectoin to last server at startup...' checkbox checked in preferences, Eddie keeps connecting to some random server in Canada when it should be reconnecting to Heze (or whatever server I was connected to before.

Windows 7 Pro 64bit.

Hello aaronosaka,

On the servers tab, bottom right hand corner, put a check in the "Lock Current" box and then it should reconnect to the same server. HTH...

Here's the log:

5/12/2014 - 9:03 AM    AirVPN client version: 2.0, System: Linux, Architecture: x86

5/12/2014 - 9:03 AM    Reading options from /home/rbj/.airvpn/AirVPN.xml

5/12/2014 - 9:04 AM    Data Path: /home/rbj/.airvpn

5/12/2014 - 9:04 AM    App Path: /usr/lib/AirVPN

5/12/2014 - 9:04 AM    Executable Path: /usr/lib/AirVPN/AirVPN.exe

5/12/2014 - 9:04 AM    Command line arguments: path="/home/rbj/.airvpn"

5/12/2014 - 9:04 AM    Operating System: Unix 2.6.32.58 - Linux rbj-desktop 2.6.32-58-generic #120-Ubuntu SMP Tue Apr 1 17:56:07 UTC 2014 i686 GNU/Linux

5/12/2014 - 9:04 AM    OpenVPN Driver - Found

5/12/2014 - 9:04 AM    OpenVPN - Version: OpenVPN 2.3.3 (/usr/lib/AirVPN/openvpn)

5/12/2014 - 9:04 AM    SSH - Version: OpenSSH_5.3p1 Debian-3ubuntu7.1, OpenSSL 0.9.8k 25 Mar 2009 (/usr/bin/ssh)

5/12/2014 - 9:04 AM    SSL - Version: stunnel 5.01 (/usr/lib/AirVPN/stunnel)

5/12/2014 - 9:04 AM    IPV6: Available

5/12/2014 - 9:04 AM    Checking login ...

5/12/2014 - 9:04 AM    Logged in.

5/12/2014 - 9:04 AM    Session starting.

5/12/2014 - 9:04 AM    Checking environment

5/12/2014 - 9:04 AM    Checking authorization

5/12/2014 - 9:04 AM    Connecting to Cephei

5/12/2014 - 9:04 AM    OpenVPN > OpenVPN 2.3.3 i686-pc-linux-gnu [sSL (OpenSSL)] [LZO] [EPOLL] [MH] [iPv6] built on Apr 14 2014

5/12/2014 - 9:04 AM    OpenVPN > MANAGEMENT: TCP Socket listening on [AF_INET]127.0.0.1:3100

5/12/2014 - 9:04 AM    OpenVPN > NOTE: the current --script-security setting may allow this configuration to call user-defined scripts

5/12/2014 - 9:04 AM    OpenVPN > Control Channel Authentication: tls-auth using INLINE static key file

5/12/2014 - 9:04 AM    OpenVPN > Outgoing Control Channel Authentication: Using 160 bit message hash 'SHA1' for HMAC authentication

5/12/2014 - 9:04 AM    OpenVPN > Incoming Control Channel Authentication: Using 160 bit message hash 'SHA1' for HMAC authentication

5/12/2014 - 9:04 AM    OpenVPN > Socket Buffers: R=[112640->131072] S=[112640->131072]

5/12/2014 - 9:04 AM    OpenVPN > UDPv4 link local: [undef]

5/12/2014 - 9:04 AM    OpenVPN > UDPv4 link remote: [AF_INET]184.75.214.162:443

5/12/2014 - 9:04 AM    OpenVPN > TLS: Initial packet from [AF_INET]184.75.214.162:443, sid=5a252260 5802b8f8

5/12/2014 - 9:04 AM    OpenVPN > VERIFY OK: depth=1, C=IT, ST=IT, L=Perugia, O=airvpn.org, CN=airvpn.org CA, emailAddress=info@airvpn.org

5/12/2014 - 9:04 AM    OpenVPN > Validating certificate key usage

5/12/2014 - 9:04 AM    OpenVPN > ++ Certificate has key usage  00a0, expects 00a0

5/12/2014 - 9:04 AM    OpenVPN > VERIFY KU OK

5/12/2014 - 9:04 AM    OpenVPN > Validating certificate extended key usage

5/12/2014 - 9:04 AM    OpenVPN > ++ Certificate has EKU (str) TLS Web Server Authentication, expects TLS Web Server Authentication

5/12/2014 - 9:04 AM    OpenVPN > VERIFY EKU OK

5/12/2014 - 9:04 AM    OpenVPN > VERIFY OK: depth=0, C=IT, ST=IT, L=Perugia, O=airvpn.org, CN=server, emailAddress=info@airvpn.org

5/12/2014 - 9:04 AM    OpenVPN > Data Channel Encrypt: Cipher 'AES-256-CBC' initialized with 256 bit key

5/12/2014 - 9:04 AM    OpenVPN > Data Channel Encrypt: Using 160 bit message hash 'SHA1' for HMAC authentication

5/12/2014 - 9:04 AM    OpenVPN > Data Channel Decrypt: Cipher 'AES-256-CBC' initialized with 256 bit key

5/12/2014 - 9:04 AM    OpenVPN > Data Channel Decrypt: Using 160 bit message hash 'SHA1' for HMAC authentication

5/12/2014 - 9:04 AM    OpenVPN > Control Channel: TLSv1, cipher TLSv1/SSLv3 DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA, 4096 bit RSA

5/12/2014 - 9:04 AM    OpenVPN > [server] Peer Connection Initiated with [AF_INET]184.75.214.162:443

5/12/2014 - 9:04 AM    OpenVPN > SENT CONTROL [server]: 'PUSH_REQUEST' (status=1)

5/12/2014 - 9:04 AM    OpenVPN > PUSH: Received control message: 'PUSH_REPLY,redirect-gateway def1,dhcp-option DNS 10.4.0.1,comp-lzo no,route 10.4.0.1,topology net30,ping 10,ping-restart 60,ifconfig 10.4.50.118 10.4.50.117'

5/12/2014 - 9:04 AM    OpenVPN > OPTIONS IMPORT: timers and/or timeouts modified

5/12/2014 - 9:04 AM    OpenVPN > OPTIONS IMPORT: LZO parms modified

5/12/2014 - 9:04 AM    OpenVPN > OPTIONS IMPORT: --ifconfig/up options modified

5/12/2014 - 9:04 AM    OpenVPN > OPTIONS IMPORT: route options modified

5/12/2014 - 9:04 AM    OpenVPN > OPTIONS IMPORT: --ip-win32 and/or --dhcp-option options modified

5/12/2014 - 9:04 AM    OpenVPN > TUN/TAP device tun0 opened

5/12/2014 - 9:04 AM    OpenVPN > TUN/TAP TX queue length set to 100

5/12/2014 - 9:04 AM    OpenVPN > do_ifconfig, tt->ipv6=0, tt->did_ifconfig_ipv6_setup=0

5/12/2014 - 9:04 AM    OpenVPN > /sbin/ifconfig tun0 10.4.50.118 pointopoint 10.4.50.117 mtu 1500

5/12/2014 - 9:04 AM    OpenVPN > resolvconf: Error: /etc/resolv.conf must be a symlink

5/12/2014 - 9:04 AM    OpenVPN > /usr/lib/AirVPN/update-resolv-conf tun0 1500 1558 10.4.50.118 10.4.50.117 init

5/12/2014 - 9:04 AM    OpenVPN > dhcp-option DNS 10.4.0.1

5/12/2014 - 9:04 AM    OpenVPN > WARNING: Failed running command (--up/--down): external program exited with error status: 1

5/12/2014 - 9:04 AM    OpenVPN > Exiting due to fatal error

Hello,

I may have found a small, minor bug. After the first renewal of the TLS key, hovering over the tray icon always displays "AirVPN - Renewing TLS key", thus giving the impression the client is hung at this operation although the logs seem to indicate it was completed successfully.

From Logs:

5/13/2014 - 10:50 AM OpenVPN > TLS: soft reset sec=0 bytes=9081273/0 pkts=15861/0

5/13/2014 - 10:50 AM OpenVPN > VERIFY OK: depth=1, C=IT, ST=IT, L=Perugia, O=airvpn.org, CN=airvpn.org CA, emailAddress=info@airvpn.org
5/13/2014 - 10:50 AM OpenVPN > Validating certificate key usage
5/13/2014 - 10:50 AM OpenVPN > ++ Certificate has key usage  00a0, expects 00a0
5/13/2014 - 10:50 AM OpenVPN > VERIFY KU OK
5/13/2014 - 10:50 AM OpenVPN > Validating certificate extended key usage
5/13/2014 - 10:50 AM OpenVPN > ++ Certificate has EKU (str) TLS Web Server Authentication, expects TLS Web Server Authentication
5/13/2014 - 10:50 AM OpenVPN > VERIFY EKU OK
5/13/2014 - 10:50 AM OpenVPN > VERIFY OK: depth=0, C=IT, ST=IT, L=Perugia, O=airvpn.org, CN=server, emailAddress=info@airvpn.org
5/13/2014 - 10:50 AM OpenVPN > Data Channel Encrypt: Cipher 'AES-256-CBC' initialized with 256 bit key
5/13/2014 - 10:50 AM OpenVPN > Data Channel Encrypt: Using 160 bit message hash 'SHA1' for HMAC authentication
5/13/2014 - 10:50 AM OpenVPN > Data Channel Decrypt: Cipher 'AES-256-CBC' initialized with 256 bit key
5/13/2014 - 10:50 AM OpenVPN > Data Channel Decrypt: Using 160 bit message hash 'SHA1' for HMAC authentication
5/13/2014 - 10:50 AM OpenVPN > Control Channel: TLSv1, cipher TLSv1/SSLv3 DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA, 4096 bit RSA

Guys, this new client is AWESOME!! Great job!! Keep going!

One question regarding the "Servers" tab --> Latencys. Are they showing the latencys from a customer perspective or from where are the latencys mesure?

cheers

Hello!

The problem is here:

5/12/2014 - 9:04 AM    OpenVPN > resolvconf: Error: /etc/resolv.conf must be a symlink

It's not Eddie's problem, see here for a quick fix: http://askubuntu.com/a/172157

Kind regards

I tried the askubuntu link and all I could get is this (didn't work) :

update-rc.d: warning: resolvconf stop runlevel arguments (none) do not match LSB Default-Stop values (0 6)

I think my version of Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid is too old.  Guess I need to upgrade.  Thanks for the assistance.

So overjoyed to finally have a new client, and even has a deb package which is perfect for my current situation. Keep working at it though, the Linux version is pretty much unusable to me. I'm running Linux Mint 64bit and have had to force kill the process several times, the time-outs are ridiculously long in some instances, the interface looks really nice but is very buggy, using my school's HTTP proxy with TCP (which has always worked fine with OPVN) just hangs or loops, and its a struggle just to get on any server. But I did manage to get a connection for about 30 minutes and the new interface tickers look great! No tray icon but I understand after reading the explaination earlier.

Just keep going!