Not connected, Your IP: 3.21.46.26
Sign in to follow this  
DavidA

Lost connection to VPN yet client icon still blue

I'm on Vista SP2.

About 4 or 5 times now I've realised I'm not connected to VPN by seeing the Windows connection icon. However, the AirVPN icon is still blue.

This is extremely worrying as I now need to constantly check it is connected.

Is there a way to either:

- Fix the client so it absolutely only has a blue icon when there is a solid connection

- stop the internet connection if the airvpn client fails

- have some warning mechanism that connection has stopped

It seems this issue, given why people will use a VPN, is the most basic requirement. There is no pont in using it if suddenly with no warning there is no VPN connection and the internet connection continues (but now open and unsecured).

At least the blue icon issue here needs to be solved. Surely the client can be made to be aware it is not transmitting data or nt connected? This seems to be a major issue. I so hope it is not intential.

This just happened to me again. It seems to be becoming more regular.

I think the urgent solution (at least initially) this needs is to block internet traffic when the client is not working.

Is there a way to do that with Vista?

The main issue though that can not be just my system is the fact the client icon stays blue when it is clearly not working.

To clarify the issue:

- both the Windows internet icon shows normally

- the client shows not data passing through

- my IP shows as my ISP IP at this point (which it of course does not do when the client is workng properly)

I'm posting in the forum rather than a support ticket because this must be a wider issue than just me.

You should probably post the logs here so staff can look at it. I dont know why your client isn't working always.

As far as securing your connection for leaks the easiest way is to set up firewall rules. I use Comodo which is excellent, easy, and free. Follow this link, staff shows simple way to block your traffic if you are disconnected from vpn: https://airvpn.org/topic/1713-win-mac-bsd-block-traffic-when-vpn-disconnects/

Hello!

If the tray icon is blue then the connection is established. However an established OpenVPN connection does not always imply that the traffic is tunneled. The next client release, Eddie, will include features to block all non-tunneled traffic. Feel free to post the Air client/OpenVPN logs, they may show important clues.

Kind regards

If the tray icon is blue then the connection is established.

Absolutely not. As I said in my first post, I've checked my IP address during these instances and it is my local ISP, not AirVPN. Yet icon is still blue, and the client windows shows as if connected (just with not in or out traffic).

What worries me is this is such a simple issue. I can see there is not traffic by watching the Airvpn client window and see nothing going in or out (while the internet connection is working). Surely the client should be checking for this as a basic security measure? This is the fix that is needed.