Not connected, Your IP: 44.204.125.111
Sign in to follow this  
fahasch

AirVPN on tomato router: how to forward SSH to LAN

I have to following question which I am sure has a simple solution though I am not knowledgable enough to figure it out myself:

I have a tomato router running as a client for the VPN connection to AirVPN (with IP 192.168.1.1). Now I have a computer in the LAN which should serve as a SSH server towards the outside (with IP 192.168.1.2). I have set up a port forwarding, to forward the port 22 from the WAN to the client 192.168.1.2. Which works when the VPN is not on.

If I connect the router with AirVPN having in AirVPN a port forwarding to the local port 22 set up and then try to connect from the outside to the SSH-server, I suddenly end up talking to the SSH-server of the router. So the port forwarding does not work. I guess the reason is that the connection comes in through the tunnel and thus the port forwarding rule does not match.

How can I adjust the settings of my router that the connection to the port 22 through the tunnel are forwarded to 192.168.1.2?

Thank you for your help,

Fabian

P.S. Luckily I figured out that the connection from the outside can talk to the SSH of the router (even though it is set up not to accept any external connection attempts). But I guess that is what the P in VPN stands for. In the mean time, I turned the SSH server off: the standard options for the SSH login on the router where set and I guess there is nothing worse than your router being hacked...

Did you discover solution for your problem? I'm in need for same solution, not for ssh, but still, same port forwarding problem.

How can I adjust the settings of my router that the connection to the port 22 through the tunnel are forwarded to 192.168.1.2?

Thank you for your help,

Fabian