Not connected, Your IP: 44.211.117.101
Staff

Using AirVPN with OpenVPN for Android

Thanks...I just got this working and also noticed the IP and ISP was not what it should be. Unchecked the "bypass" and it was good. Thanks!  

Also, perhaps this should be part of the OP as I would think mostly everyone would want this to show the VPN IP not the original one?

Maybe this is useful for something I am not aware of.....

Its working on my Cellphone, but when i test it on ipleak.net, the Test said IPv6 is still enabled and the Real IP is unprotected.

Untick 'bypass vpn for local networks' under routing then it will be fine

As of 06 July 2018, the latest version of OpenVPN for Android on the Play Store is 0.7.5.  The information I can find on it says it uses OpenVPN 2.x.  Has anyone found out exactly what that "x" is?  Specifically, can it handle the TLS-crypt configurations here and TLS 1.2 (I believe that's part of 2.4).  I know it has no trouble using GCM cyphers, but I'd like to change my pfSense OpenVPN server to use the following with my Android phones:

- TLS Encryption and Authentication instead of just TLS Authentication under TLS Key Usage Mode, and

- SHA512 instead of SHA1 under Auth Digest Algorithm.

As of 06 July 2018, the latest version of OpenVPN for Android on the Play Store is 0.7.5.  The information I can find on it says it uses OpenVPN 2.x.  Has anyone found out exactly what that "x" is? 

Please check the log, it is probably OpenVPN 2.5.

That said, remember that you can enable OpenVPN 3 Core (check the settings).

Specifically, can it handle the TLS-crypt configurations here and TLS 1.2 (I believe that's part of 2.4).  I know it has no trouble using GCM cyphers, but I'd like to change my pfSense OpenVPN server to use the following with my Android phones:

- TLS Encryption and Authentication instead of just TLS Authentication under TLS Key Usage Mode, and

This is "tls-crypt" which is supported on about 70 servers of ours (soon on all of them). Remember to connect to entry-IP 3 or 4 to have tls-crypt which is very effective in bypassing some types of blocks, furthermore having the whole Control Channel fully encrypted is cool anyway.

Kind regards

Please check the log, it is probably OpenVPN 2.5.

That said, remember that you can enable OpenVPN 3 Core (check the settings).

Thanks.  I should have thought of the log.  Yes.  It's OpenVPN 2.5.  I'd also seen the option to use OpenVPN 3 Core, but couldn't find anything about what that meant.  Regardless, it looks like I'll be able to turn on all the cool stuff in my pfSense OpenVPN server and OpenVPN for Android will be able to handle it.

I had this problem too. All the downloads were greyed out and not selectable. I moved the .ovpn files to my SD and could import them from there without issue. Hope that helps

hi,

I have Android 7.1.2 on a Google Pixel XL, and the braniacs at Google designed a phone that does NOT support an SD card. :-(

I cannot move the .ovpn files to an SD card, so Hexane's workaround will not work for me. The .opvn files are thus still stuck in gray limbo.

Can anyone offer a workaround?

Thanks.

I had this problem too. All the downloads were greyed out and not selectable. I moved the .ovpn files to my SD and could import them from there without issue. Hope that helps

hi,

I have Android 7.1.2 on a Google Pixel XL, and the braniacs at Google designed a phone that does NOT support an SD card. :-(

I cannot move the .ovpn files to an SD card, so Hexane's workaround will not work for me. The .opvn files are thus still stuck in gray limbo.

Thanks.

nevermind.

figured out a fix - chose import from phone and manually chose download directory.

Seems to have worked.

Go figure. ;-)

Well; I have read information related to OpenVPN - AirVPN posted here. I have seamless and successfully Installed Openvpn for Android, but despite having followed directions, steps and variables, IpV6 still leaking IP & Location. Had similar situation on the phone, fixed by using OpevVPN Connect. Sideloaded to the firestick, imported ovpn conf, but not being able to connect. None further steps / options given at the end. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Hi,

I've tried openvpn for Android and it works when I use my 4g mobile data. But It doesn't work with the wifi of the hotel where I'm on holliday.

It doesn't work with UDP and neither with Tcp.

I set Linux in airvpn config generator.

Same problems with openvpn Connect and with openvpn client free apps.

The wifi requires a periodically authentication (once a day) on a web page that opens and close automatically when you are authenticated.

A couples of months ago, I used Expressvpn app and It worked with the same wifi network (after the web page authentication) without problems.

Logs:

15:03 OpenVPN 2.5-icsopenvpn [git:v2.4_rc2-301-g14adf04a] armeabi-v7a [sSL (OpenSSL)] [LZO] [LZ4] [EPOLL] [MH/PKTINFO] [AEAD] built on May 3 2018

15:03 library versions: OpenSSL 1.1.0h 27 Mar 2018, LZO 2.10

15:03 TCP/UDP: Preserving recently used remote address: [AF_INET]217.64.127.194:443

15:03 UDP link local: (not bound)

15:03 UDP link remote: [AF_INET]217.64.127.194:443

15:04 TLS Error: TLS key negotiation failed to occur within 60 seconds (check your network connectivity)

15:04 TLS Error: TLS handshake failed

15:04 SIGUSR1[soft,tls-error] received, process restarting

Could you help me?

Just a Little update. I tried also Eddie airvpn beta client and I've got the same problem.

Not a problem with OpenVPN for Android, then, is it?

Try other ports and protocols first. If it continues, consider opening your own thread so everyone can help you better.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

I wrote to the Airvpn support. Following what they told me, the problem disappeared with the following

"Advanced Mode" options in the Configuration Generator:

- entry-IP address 3

- port 443

- protocol UDP

So It wasn't an openvpn for Android issue

Thanks to Airvpn support!

hi,

Thanks.

Google released Android PIE (9.0) for Pixel XL's.  Your Pixel is two OS's behind.  Mine is running perfectly.  Depending upon "where" you are in the world you might have to download the latest release.  Its just under a Gig, but it loads and runs perfectly.  I know this post is just a bit off "key", but I wanted to inform you or others that the improvements are beyond amazing.  My bad in that it doesn't directly address your concerns.