Not connected, Your IP: 3.84.7.255
Staff

Three simultaneous connections per account allowed

Another advantage of allowing three simultaneous connections is that after forced or accidental disconnection we can quickly reconnect from the same computer, without waiting 1-3 minutes (it was quite annoying, to say the least). Thanks

Another advantage of allowing three simultaneous connections is that after forced or accidental disconnection we can quickly reconnect from the same computer, without waiting 1-3 minutes (it was quite annoying, to say the least). Thanks

Yes! Totally correct. Smart side-effect. :)

Kind regards

I just have to say: Thank you! For 1 1/2 years I've been with AirVPN this is the most exiting new news. This is really great as it allows me to connect to AirVPN on the go with my smartphone and stay connected at home at the same time.

Thank you so much!

okay got a question regarding multiple connections

how will the DDNS and port forwarding feature work when you establish multiple connections?

which connection will the port forwarding and the dns record apply to?

Or will the the port forwarding be applied to every connection and the external ip of every vpn server connected to be added to the dns record?

/Steal spear

Just one question - how will port forwarding work in the future? How will I specify which of my three devices to forward incoming connections to?

I am curious about this too.

I just did a quick test of port forwarding with two connections. It seems that the first connection I made had ports forwarded to it, but not the second.

I wonder what would happen if I shut down the first connection. Would I have to shutdown and restart the second one to have it switch over?

I have not tried DDNS. But that seems like an even thornier issue.

Not complaining by the way.

UPDATE:

It occurred to me to look at the port forwarding set up/status page while I had two connections:

/ports/

It seems to indicate clearly that is forwarding for both connections. So I must have made an error.

As specified above, you can NOT connect the same account twice or thrice to the same AirVPN server. Each connection must go to a different AirVPN server.

I found this to be wrong.

Yesterday I connected with my OpenVPN client to Seginus, DE.

Then I connected with my Android device to Germany (connection to the best server). It connected me to Seginus, DE. So basically I had two connections to the same server.

MESSAGE EDITED

Hello!

You are partially right. You can NOT connect the same account twice or thrice to the same AirVPN server, port and protocol, because in this case your different devices will be assigned the same VPN IP address, causing a continuous conflict which will disconnect them both in turn in a never ending loop.  In your case you (if you connected both devices to the same server, port and protocol) could have had the feeling that both were connected at the same time, but in reality they were not: only one was really tunneling at a given time.

It is possible to break this limitation with OpenVPN, but the more immediate solutions would create potential problems, in particular potential problems to Windows clients, so we decided to not apply them because in any case this limitation is not very serious and the beta testing with this setup (i.e. the current setup you are currently using) went very well.

An immediate but partial workaround, however, does exist: you can just connect to the same server on two different ports and/or protocols. In this case the devices will "go into" different subnets, will be handled by different OpenVPN daemons and there will be no conflict, except for port forwarding, which will NOT work properly.

Kind regards

Unless I'm missing something, the recent change allowing three simultaneous connections has broken DDNS. My forwarded ports work if I connect directly to the IP address of the server, but not if I use the airdns.org address.

Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks

R

An immediate workaround, however, does exist: you can just connect to the same server on two different ports and/or protocols. In this case the devices will "go into" different subnets, will be handled by different OpenVPN instances and there will be no conflict.

I checked the session archive again and noticed that I connected Windows via UDP and Android via TCP. This in connection with your quoted answer might be the reason why it worked. Nothing wrong here, I suppose.

Thank you for the explanation! <3

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Unless I'm missing something, the recent change allowing three simultaneous connections has broken DDNS. My forwarded ports work if I connect directly to the IP address of the server, but not if I use the airdns.org address.

Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks

R

They already mentioned that AirDNS is not working at the moment. Also the API isn't working 100%.

I think due to Heartbleed they decided to roll out before everything was working but the new features are great.

An immediate workaround, however, does exist: you can just connect to the same server on two different ports and/or protocols. In this case the devices will "go into" different subnets, will be handled by different OpenVPN instances and there will be no conflict.

I checked the session archive again and noticed that I connected Windows via UDP and Android via TCP. This in connection with your quoted answer might be the reason why it worked. :) Nothing wrong here, I suppose.

Thank you for the explanation!

Hello!

Correct. However, please note that we edited the message, because port forwarding will not work anyway with multiple connections to the same server (which is obvious, but we forgot to mention).

Kind regards

Excellent! You guys really do know how to provide top-notch service! Keep up the great work!

I ran into a problem today with simultaneous connections to the singapore servers.

I'd connected with my home desktop to one of the singapore servers with the usual udp 443.

Then on the road via cellular I made a connection to sg.vpn.airdns.org udp 443 assuming it would put me on a different singapore server following the rule that same server and port isn't possible.

However, this action bumped my home desktop off the singapore servers.  My home desktop ended up on hadar (hong kong).

Must I activly choose another server to avoid conflict?  Just hoping a connection to sg.vpn.airdns.org would automatically sort it out.

I ran into a problem today with simultaneous connections to the singapore servers.

I'd connected with my home desktop to one of the singapore servers with the usual udp 443.

Then on the road via cellular I made a connection to sg.vpn.airdns.org udp 443 assuming it would put me on a different singapore server following the rule that same server and port isn't possible.

Hello!

sg.vpn.airdns.org resolves into the "best" Singapore server entry-IP address, so you can't assume that. The "best" server is the server with the highest rating computed every 5 minutes by keeping into account server status, latency, available bandwidth and packet loss. If the best server does not change then sg.vpn.airdns.org may resolve to the same IP address your other device is already connected to.

However, this action bumped my home desktop off the singapore servers.  My home desktop ended up on hadar (hong kong).

Must I activly choose another server to avoid conflict?  Just hoping a connection to sg.vpn.airdns.org would automatically sort it out.

You must actively choose another server. If you don't mind about port forwarding, then you can connect the to the same server on a DIFFERENT port/protocol.

Kind regards

Sorry for the long delay in responding.  I don't check into the forums very often.  Just found out about the multiple connections.  That is very helpful for supporting my home network and mobile devices and fixes my main difficulty with your service.  Thanks very much. 

-A very happy customer.

Sorry if this answered already... still a noob so if this is a stoopid question, pls bear with me (not literally):.

I have 2 separate (no VM) linux-machines on my home network, one NAS and one HTPC. NAS is using OpenVPN+remote port-fwding.

Id like to use an vpn on my HTPC also, but - obviously - setting up secondary simultaneous connection messes up the port-fwd.

If I change the port-fwds by removing the DDNS name and use alternative DNS-provider on guiding incoming traffic, can I then use two separate connections simultaneously?

Eg:

http://domainname_alpha >>> static_AirVPN_server_one_ip:port > NAS

http://domainname_bravo >>> static_AirVPN_server_two_ip:port > HTPC

Just a quick query

If I connected to three server instances using the same computer, does that provide added layer of security or is it negligible?

Just wondering if there's any plans to up from 3 simultaneous connections to 5 (or more) any time soon?

Yeah, I would love to have 5 (backup reasons using pfsense) 4 Would be ok as well

Same here. Would be cool if we can get it to 4 - 5. But if not it is also okay. 

Even 3 is more than enough. Don't forget that Air provides you a minimum speed guarantee and real time graphs.

Some people are pushing terabits thru them and you can see that in the status page.

I'm sure people with pFsene and 5 devices can afford a few Euros a month

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

Even 3 is more than enough. Don't forget that Air provides you a minimum speed guarantee and real time graphs.

Some people are pushing terabits thru them and you can see that in the status page.

I'm sure people with pFsene and 5 devices can afford a few Euros a month

I agree. I would much rather get what I pay for, than pay for what I get. ​

I would very much welcome the option of having 4-5 simultaneously connected devices, as I typically have more than three Internet-connected devices running at any one time. A handy way to get more than three devices online at a fixed location is to configure one's router to use AirVPN. It takes some time and effort, but it's well worth it.

I love that, now i can share this VPN with my friends.

Love you AirVPN, I buy you tomorrow <3

-----BEGIN PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----

mDMEYAGg8xYJKwYBBAHaRw8BAQdAl5O14njhFphYngvp2VTBi0xBu01gQs9IjUPY

mKyUTtG0CE5vU3ByZWFkiJYEExYIAD4WIQT0S7YGTQwzo2zZ86sEeEFOFepLNwUC

YAGg8wIbAwUJENrSPQULCQgHAgYVCgkICwIEFgIDAQIeAQIXgAAKCRAEeEFOFepL

N6MAAQCHDQ/7WTL5HTCS31P//Y0xno3aGK3DnTaXfg7fZnddQAD/U6Km/73gRPox

34+sAL7+bPQNp5y7e1Mh8Ud8THZDSQG4OARgAaDzEgorBgEEAZdVAQUBAQdABvZ/

T9lB5J461tCWjLuLIzwCfUA6iqcW2NEXHztEiB0DAQgHiH4EGBYIACYWIQT0S7YG

TQwzo2zZ86sEeEFOFepLNwUCYAGg8wIbDAUJENrSPQAKCRAEeEFOFepLN1mzAQDb

VMle7FUj8JsVoP7Xl7v8AXA8dIFOgkCYsYO8ZjhHNgEAiqgXnJq5EOe+B9HslBg4

4Fu0/DB0bhW58RyGJFHzOQ4=

=ku1E