Not connected, Your IP: 44.221.81.212
Staff

Major system upgrade COMPLETED

Do you have a firewall set up? Is there any background information that you have not mentioned? Have you been using one server for a long time and configured uTorrent to use a specific IP address? If so this may have changed. Is there any complication like these in your set up?

YES, this is exactly what I had been doing.  I had been mainly using one server (out of about 2 or 3 altogether), but I would always have uTorrent's net.bind_ip and net.outgoing_ip set to whichever AirVPN server I was connected to at the time.  But as I check, those IP addresses seem to be the same for the servers I used before.  Otherwise, yes... I also use a firewall (Comodo), should those firewall rules for uTorrent be changed in any way to accommodate this update? Do I need to reinstall uTorrent?

I do not use Comodo. I just use the Windows firewall. So I cannot help with Comodo. Are there any rules in there that have the VPN IP address in them? You are sure the VPN IP address has not changed?

Have you tried using the VPN connection without the extra set up complications? What if you leave uTorrent out of it for now and just let the VPN be the default gateway? Can you connect then with a browser?

If not, then you need to look at the OpenVPN log for messages. If that does not help, since you have at this point removed the extra set up stuff, you could open a ticket and give staff your log. Or another member here may recognize a problem.

It's working wonderfully now (I can go back to singing the praises of AirVPN once again, like everybody else), but it sure doesn't care for the net.bind_ip or net.outgoing_ip business, lol.  I really liked the extra security with having uTorrent bound to the servers IP that way.  Any way of determining the NEW IP addresses for each of the servers? Or is it with new upgrade, that option is just no longer viable?  The configs used to reveal the IP addresses of their corresponding servers.

It is not the IP of the servers that goes into those values. It is the IP address given to you as your local IP address. You can see what this by using "ipconfig /all":

C:\temp>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : TAP-Windows Adapter V9
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-FF-02-38-F0-DE
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.4.88.2(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.252
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : April-13-14 10:24:31 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : April-13-15 10:24:31 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.4.88.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 127.0.0.1

It will probably be the interface "Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2", but may not be. It will have a description of "TAP-Windows Adapter V9".

You can also use "route print":

C:\temp>route print
IPv4 Route Table
===========================================================================
Active Routes:
Network Destination        Netmask          Gateway       Interface  Metric
          0.0.0.0          0.0.0.0    192.168.1.254     192.168.1.63     10
          0.0.0.0        128.0.0.0        10.4.88.1        10.4.88.2     30
        128.0.0.0        128.0.0.0        10.4.88.1        10.4.88.2     30

It should be in the "Interface" column for the entry with a "Netmask" of 128.0.0.0.

It is not the IP of the servers that goes into those values. It is the IP address given to you as your local IP address. You can see what this by using "ipconfig /all":

C:\temp>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : TAP-Windows Adapter V9
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-FF-02-38-F0-DE
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.4.88.2(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.252
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : April-13-14 10:24:31 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : April-13-15 10:24:31 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.4.88.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 127.0.0.1

It will probably be the interface "Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2", but may not be. It will have a description of "TAP-Windows Adapter V9".

You can also use "route print":

C:\temp>route print
IPv4 Route Table
===========================================================================
Active Routes:
Network Destination        Netmask          Gateway       Interface  Metric
          0.0.0.0          0.0.0.0    192.168.1.254     192.168.1.63     10
          0.0.0.0        128.0.0.0        10.4.88.1        10.4.88.2     30
        128.0.0.0        128.0.0.0        10.4.88.1        10.4.88.2     30

It should be in the "Interface" column for the entry with a "Netmask" of 128.0.0.0.

This is excellent information, exactly what I needed.  Thanks so much for sharing.

Except I'm noticing when I plug the given local IP address into those values now, uTorrent goes haywire, torrents all turn red, and I get the error message "A socket operation was attempted to an unreachable network.".  This didn't happen when I assigned the given local IP address into the net.bind_ip and net.outgoing_ip values before the upgrade.  Any idea as to why that no longer works the same?

I was in error when I mentioned that it was the IP addresses of the server that I was plugging into those values, it was the IP address given as my local IP address that I was using all along.  I was just finding it by a different method (placing my mouse over the OpenVPN GUI tray icon, to get the "Assigned IP").

Except I'm noticing when I plug the given local IP address into those values now, uTorrent goes haywire, torrents all turn red, and I get the error message "A socket operation was attempted to an unreachable network.".  This didn't happen when I assigned the given local IP address into the net.bind_ip and net.outgoing_ip values before the upgrade.  Any idea as to why that no longer works the same?

This still works for me. There has to be something else going on. Perhaps in your Comodo set up? But I have no ideas to offer right now.

By the way, I am not sure why you are setting these values (you mentioned security), but I do it because it allows me to use my normal IP interface while still using torrent clients over the VPN. See:

/topic/9549-traffic-splitting-guide-to-setting-up-vpn-only-for-torrenting-on-windows-thanks-to-nadre/

/topic/9491-guide-to-setting-up-vpn-just-for-torrenting-on-windows/

This still works for me. There has to be something else going on. Perhaps in your Comodo set up? But I have no ideas to offer right now.

By the way, I am not sure why you are setting these values (you mentioned security), but I do it because it allows me to use my normal IP interface while still using torrent clients over the VPN. See:

/topic/9549-traffic-splitting-guide-to-setting-up-vpn-only-for-torrenting-on-windows-thanks-to-nadre/

/topic/9491-guide-to-setting-up-vpn-just-for-torrenting-on-windows/

Thanks for the great info. 

Good Day 

I did the upgrade and every thing is running  But I do have a Question     Now In My Uninstaller  I have 2 of them Please look at PIC   

Please let me know if it should be like this or not 

many thanks

288piyr.jpg

9yzTU300x300.png                                                                                      visa1.png                  

Good Day 

I did the upgrade and every thing is running  But I do have a Question     Now In My Uninstaller  I have 2 of them Please look at PIC   

many thanks

Hello!

OpenVPN relies on a virtual network card called "tun/tap adapter" which needs a driver. OpenVPN and the tun/tap adapter driver can be uninstalled separately, in case of need (for example if you wish to upgrade the adapter driver only).

Kind regards

I am a VPN newbie on OS X 10.9.1 Mavericks. So, please bear with my elementary questions.

On this page under Mandatory actions, I see "Customers running any other OpenVPN wrapper or OpenVPN will need to re-download configuration, certificates and keys files."

[1] For new configuration files, I re-visited this page and generated a few new ones and replaced the old ones with them.

[2] But, where do I find and re-download new certificates?

[3] Also, where do I find and re-download new keys files?

Thank you for your guidance!!

nunz, has anyone answered your question? I just did the same as you, and everything is going perfectly. I am assuming the certificates/keys are part of that configuration package you have downloaded, and that nothing extra is needed. If that's wrong, someone chime in, because otherwise I'm as much in the dark as nunz is!

I am a VPN newbie on OS X 10.9.1 Mavericks. So, please bear with my elementary questions.

On this page under Mandatory actions, I see "Customers running any other OpenVPN wrapper or OpenVPN will need to re-download configuration, certificates and keys files."

[1] For new configuration files, I re-visited this page and generated a few new ones and replaced the old ones with them.

nunz, has anyone answered your question? I just did the same as you, and everything is going perfectly. I am assuming the certificates/keys are part of that configuration package you have downloaded, and that nothing extra is needed. If that's wrong, someone chime in, because otherwise I'm as much in the dark as nunz is!

You're right. The certificates and key files are part of the .ovpn file (or were separately generated if you selected "Separate keys/certs from .ovpn file" under Advanced Mode. 

You just stick those files into a directory with the .tblk suffix and follow the instructions to use with Tunnelblick. If the bottom of this screen says you're connected - all's good! 

Good Day 

many thanks

Hello!

OpenVPN relies on a virtual network card called "tun/tap adapter" which needs a driver. OpenVPN and the tun/tap adapter driver can be uninstalled separately, in case of need (for example if you wish to upgrade the adapter driver only).

Kind regards

Ok Many thanks as Long as It is suppose to be like that 

thank you

9yzTU300x300.png                                                                                      visa1.png                  

Hi,

Under the second bullet point in a subsection called "What YOU need to do" in a post from the AirVPN staff regarding the heartbleed bug, users are told to "change your user.key when this option will be available".

Could any of you please elaborate what this meens and how I can perform the change?

Ok Thank you  

Just a fast update 2 or 3 Hours ago I kept on getting 

Error Bad gateway   502    So I was wondering what Happened 

it Looks Like every thing is back in order 

Hi,

Under the second bullet point in a subsection called "What YOU need to do" in a post from the AirVPN staff regarding the heartbleed bug, users are told to "change your user.key when this option will be available".

Could any of you please elaborate what this meens and how I can perform the change?

Hello!

There was a change of program on the fly. The various user.key keys have been all re-generated by the system and the option to re-generate a user.key has been postponed for a while. Currently the timeline of most important changes, which are being worked simultaneously, is:

- DDNS fix (completed)

- port forwarding panel fix (nearly completed)

- re-checking access to RAI from non-Italy servers

- re-evaluation of slight changes to DDNS

- release of Eddie (new Air client) beta usable version for Linux and Windows (maybe 10 days)

- building up the option to generate new user.key and integrate it in the users web panel

Kind regards

You're right. The certificates and key files are part of the .ovpn file (or were separately generated if you selected "Separate keys/certs from .ovpn file" under Advanced Mode. 

You just stick those files into a directory with the .tblk suffix and follow the instructions to use with Tunnelblick. If the bottom of this screen says you're connected - all's good! 

Yeah it is much easier if you keep away from Advanced Mode and just use the .ovpn files as described above.  You don't need to redownload Tunnelblick or anything (for other Mac users on the thread) and anyway the Tunnelblick has released an update recently that provides as much additional security as they could add...

I haven't reset the iPhone keys yet, but the Mac version is running sweet!  I can recommend using the OpenVPN app on iOS (no affiliation).  Much better than the built in VPN functionality built into iOS.

BitTorrent and uTorrent download speed has been greatly restricted since upgrade.  Tried several different servers, both UDP and TCP connections with TCP being the better option right now.  When not connected your VPN, download speeds are good, when connected it's only about 20% the speed.  Using a mac.

Any ideas?  This thread is too long to filter for this specific issue.

Thanks.

BitTorrent and uTorrent download speed has been greatly restricted since upgrade.  Tried several different servers, both UDP and TCP connections with TCP being the better option right now.  When not connected your VPN, download speeds are good, when connected it's only about 20% the speed.  Using a mac.

Any ideas?  This thread is too long to filter for this specific issue.

Thanks.

I am running utorrent now and I am getting the same or faster speeds than I was before. I would suggest going to speedtest.net and then using this to help with configuring bitorrent/utorrent. 

http://infinite-source.de/az/az-calc.html

It worked very well for me.

I would also suggest trying different servers and doing speedtests on them to find the one that best fits your needs.

Hi,

Hello!

There was a change of program on the fly. The various user.key keys have been all re-generated by the system and the option to re-generate a user.key has been postponed for a while. Currently the timeline of most important changes, which are being worked simultaneously, is:

- DDNS fix (completed)

- port forwarding panel fix (nearly completed)

- re-checking access to RAI from non-Italy servers

- re-evaluation of slight changes to DDNS

- release of Eddie (new Air client) beta usable version for Linux and Windows (maybe 10 days)

- building up the option to generate new user.key and integrate it in the users web panel

Kind regards

Is Eddie GUI based? 

I still cannot connect even though I downloaded new settings files... I think probably I am missing some basic thing...

I run Ubuntu 13.10 and generated server: europe, tcp 443, socks 127.0.0.1 port 9150 (for tor). Trying to connect immidiately fails. Trying to connect with my old settings files (not Tor) times out.
But do I need to set socks proxy in 'Configure VPN' in ubuntu as well as in the generator? What am I missing here?

Hi,

is it possible to provide an option to move back to using 2048 bit size RSA and DH keys?

I felt quite secure using that level of security and since we moved to 4096 my CPU is running 5 degrees hotter than before.

Thanks.

Hi,

is it possible to provide an option to move back to using 2048 bit size RSA and DH keys?

I felt quite secure using that level of security and since we moved to 4096 my CPU is running 5 degrees hotter than before.

Thanks.

Is this a wind-up? 

Hi,

Thanks.

Already knowing your official answer will be something along the lines of "Absolutely not" I will offer my opinion on your issue:

I find it offensive that you would propose such a proposition as this, potentially asking to weaken the security for the rest of us, because you are having hardware issues. Blow the dust out of your computer making sure to get the heat sink. Buy a new and better cpu fan or even cooler. Buy a better case fan... or even just buy better equipment going forward.

In our chats about pfSense you seem determined to buy cheap equipment and multiple times I have told you why it is a bad idea. You persist to try bend physics and technical specifications to try to fit your agenda. The proper course here is to save your pocket change up until you can afford equipment that does what you require it to, not ask a service to lower it's level of security to suit what your hardware is capable of.

Your persistence with such comments can be and is being taken by some as trolling.

Have my guides helped you? Help me keep helping you, use my referral: userbar.png

How to set up pfSense 2.3 for AirVPN

Friends don't let friends use consumer networking equipment!

lrj972,no wind-up. I said  provide an option so a person paying to use the vpn could decide for themselves if 2048 or 4096  bit encryption is good enough  for them.

I have no doubt that there are other people in a similar situation to mine in that maybe they can not afford to buy all the latest kit to play with and have to manage their resources inventively and they may prefer to recover the cpu and extra power usage that is now being spent on the 4096 bit encryption for other purposes.

I am sure there are people whose vpn tunneled connections must now be a lot slower since the 4096 upgrade happened,especially if they are using older kit and I feel it would be nice to offer a choice between the two standards if that could be possible.

pfSense_fan,never in all my years of using internet forums have I felt it necessary to block another member until now. Your shallow,inadequate and boastful drivel has forced me to choose that option today though.

Goodbye.